Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 3 of 5 ] 1  2  [ 3 ] 4  5 
Author New Mods
coaster05

5/12/2005 1:11:34 PM
So If I had commented on a crap review when that review got deleted so did the comments. If so that's cool knowing my comments gave their life for a good cause.

I also agree that the ride review should have comments no matter if it was positive or negative. To put it blunt there is a lot of wasted space and garbage you have to get through to find what you are looking for.

On a side note why do we need more than two topics in the testing forum?
- Thread Locked
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
5/12/2005 2:12:44 PM
Yup, coaster - as I've deleted bogus reviews (many of which I'd commented on in the past), my own post count has dropped - it took me a second to realize what had happened when I noticed my new post count!
- Thread Locked
coaster05

5/12/2005 2:34:01 PM
Thats what I figured since I knew I hadn't wrote a bogus review.
- Thread Locked
ThmPrkCrtc

$#@!& out of me."
5/12/2005 4:52:54 PM
Quote:
adriahna said:
Yup, coaster - as I've deleted bogus reviews (many of which I'd commented on in the past), my own post count has dropped - it took me a second to realize what had happened when I noticed my new post count!

Yea, the way things are counted isn't based on how it should be so deleting things will effect post count.
- Thread Locked
bb_dg

5/12/2005 11:22:51 PM
Quote:
BobFunland said:
bb, my beef with the no-comment reviews is that they contribute nothing to the site in regards to its intentions.

yea, thats something to consider but just because there isnt any explanation of the rating doesnt automatically equal bogus. thats all i was saying. im just always very cautious with deleting reviews since this site is based on opinion and someone shouldnt have their opinion thrown out just because they felt that they didnt need to justify their rating with words.

--------------------
-Barry
My Phlog - Pics from my camera phone updated in real time
My Personal Coaster Site - All about my obsession with coasters
My General Aviation Site - Follow my flight training progress
- Thread Locked
Scott

5/12/2005 11:33:37 PM
Man I love you guys. I requested a review written by axman to be checked 3 hours ago and it's gone already. All of st's are gone too. Whoopde doo! P.S. Don't take that first comment to seriously.
- Thread Locked
coaster05

5/13/2005 7:15:49 AM
Quote:
bb_dg said:
yea, thats something to consider but just because there isnt any explanation of the rating doesnt automatically equal bogus. thats all i was saying. im just always very cautious with deleting reviews since this site is based on opinion and someone shouldnt have their opinion thrown out just because they felt that they didnt need to justify their rating with words.

I think that no review should be deleted also. Some of the lesser visited parks can really have a ride skewed by a couple reviewers who don't real review. At least if they add a few words you feel like they at least tried. No review is just weak.

--------------------
"There's more than corn in Indiana."-I.B. Crow(visiting 05/14/2005)

coaster count - 135 37 Wooden
- Thread Locked
Timberman

5/15/2005 2:38:41 PM
I've been away for a while, but I'm happy to see that BobFunland and adriahna are now involved in running the show. Thank you both for putting in the time to make the site better. I have complete confidence in your ability to get the job done.

Not to be contentious, but I would focus less on deleting posts and banning members and more on leading by example. BobFunland and adriahna have consistently displayed able leadership and good judgment, and I think this has gone a long way toward brining up the level of posting on this board. The Internet being what it is, you will always have people who chime in only to annoy or antagonize, but I think the best way to deal with this type of behavior is simply to ignore it. Those who post only to get a rise out of others will leave pretty quickly if they don't succeed. I don't want to use the C-word, but when you start deleting and banning, you always run up against the problem of where to draw the line. Rules and guidelines are fine, but intelligent, judicious posting is the best defense against people who detract from the community, and sometimes what is not said is just as important as what is. We can all make our new moderators jobs easier by choosing our words carefully and showing some restraint.
- Thread Locked
coaster05

5/15/2005 4:21:55 PM
The only things they are delting are the lies about rides, posts from the few banned memebrs, and making sure we don't have offensive comments outside the FON. They have done great and will continue to to great IMO.
- Thread Locked
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
5/15/2005 6:52:41 PM
Not to worry, Timberman (oh, and welcome back - we LOVE having you here) - we're only sticking to the reviews posted by banned critics, and those that are bogus - and I'm being verrrry careful about this decision. A bogus review, in my opinion, reads basically like the following:

"Well, I never actually rode this, but it looks great."

"Sorry - didn't mean to post this, but the ride sounds like a good one."

or, the occasional off-the-wall example, such as...

"This ride was dope - it's fun to lean over the boats when you're in line, and spit on the other riders."

THAT'S the sort of stuff that I'm taking off. As far as the rest go, I'm letting the vast, vast majority pass.
- Thread Locked
BobFunland

5/15/2005 7:12:38 PM
Yep, I think adriahan summed it up. I'm not going to go delete eveything I see, but I think she nailed it.

Nice to see you back by the way. Hades is calling.
- Thread Locked
coaster05

5/15/2005 7:44:52 PM
I think its great you guys are doing that. By cleaning up this site it is only becoming more of a tool for ride research.

Hmmm if only we could merge with RCDB so every coaster would have all that history with the reviews.
- Thread Locked
BobFunland

5/15/2005 7:47:29 PM
Makr covered that in the FAQ's. It would be nice, but like he said, a bit repetitive.

I still think that TPC is behind only Mitch as far as accuracy, or mabye that's just me
- Thread Locked
larrygator

5/17/2005 11:53:15 PM
Quote:
BobFunland said:
Makr covered that in the FAQ's. It would be nice, but like he said, a bit repetitive.

I still think that TPC is behind only Mitch as far as accuracy, or mabye that's just me

Oh we are far behind Mitch in terms of accuracy, because his poll forces you to rank all your coasters and update each year. Not a bad thing but just a completely different dynamic or ranking versus rating/reviews

- Thread Locked
coaster05

5/18/2005 8:31:49 AM
So on Mitch's poll you get to have a coaster list ranking them all. I am very new to his system the only time i looked at it was last year when this site posted his poll. Any additional info you can tell me would be appreciated.
- Thread Locked
larrygator

5/18/2005 12:45:02 PM
with Mitch's poll you copy a list of all the steel coasters and delete any you have not been on. Then you assign a number to each of the steel coasters you have ridden, ranking them. So if you have ridden 76 coasters each coaster will have a different number 1 through 76. Then you do the same thing for the woodies.
- Thread Locked
coaster05

5/18/2005 12:51:45 PM
So you do it all on site I think I will head there right now thanks
- Thread Locked
larrygator

5/18/2005 5:32:20 PM
Not so fast buckaroo, voting takes places once a year in November. You'll have to wait

You register in November, download a file converting it to text in "Notepad" on your desktop, amend the file and send back.
- Thread Locked
coaster05

5/18/2005 7:36:09 PM
Oh well make sure you remind me next year and help with with how to do it I am barely computer literate.

Does anyone know a site where you can take your coaster list and rank them from top to bottom. Then easily move them when you change.

--------------------
"Go on an holler I love the water, I love the coasters in the sun. I love my Michigan's Adventure. Two parks for the price of one. FUN! FUN!" (first visit May 28th.)

coaster count - 135 37 Wooden
Message updated 5/25/2005 9:55:31 AM by coaster05
- Thread Locked
darkridrMD

5/23/2005 12:52:55 PM
I want to thank Herc for asking the picture question. I was wondering about that myself. Now I can contribute some more. How difficult is the name change thing without losing your profile? It bugs me having the MD at the end of mine since I no longer live in Maryland (unfortunately, I'm NOT a doctor).
- Thread Locked
coasterSS

5/24/2005 4:49:20 PM
This is just a suggestion:

I think that we should assign one member to each park (their home park) to take pics of the park to upload to the site maybe twice a year. For Example: Knobles could be responsible for the news and photos from and for Knobles, and possibly either me or Dukies#1 could be responsible for Dollywood. I think that if someone came to visit the site, that they would appreciate some pictures that are updated pretty frequently of the park they plan to visit.
- Thread Locked
Godsentone

5/25/2005 1:42:31 PM
You guys definitely should update my home park, Visionland's page. I can provide the pictures and other info concerning the rides and attractions.
- Thread Locked
bb_dg

5/25/2005 5:39:06 PM
Quote:
Godsentone said:
I can provide the pictures

its easy to upload your pics under the "my pictures" link
- Thread Locked
Godsentone

5/26/2005 8:47:19 AM
ok thanks I will do that.
- Thread Locked
coaster05

5/26/2005 1:20:19 PM
Bob

I know you have had us resart threads to help the server. Could we also eliminate threads that are old and won't be updated.

For example I started one about my summer plans last year. That one will never get used so its just wasting space. Just curious.
- Thread Locked
Hercules

6/20/2005 1:44:43 PM
Things are really starting to get crazy around here. There is someone, or people, posting as Anonymous and bashing anything to do with BGW and B&M and saying great things about huge Intamin rides. This kind of thing really has to stop. Not only is it really bothering me but it is bothering others and really making a bad impression on all of the new members.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but, the mods don't really seem to be doing that great of a job. I know that there must be reasons for it, but the site is not very fun anymore because of these idiots that are running around and messing things up. I realize that I am one of the more opinionated members on here and there may be a few people that don't like me because of that, but things are just getting absurd with all of the crazy comments and ideas and especially all of the foul language. Some of the things being said are well beyond harassment. B. Fun hasn't been around in a while now (which I'm sure for good reasons so I'm not bashing you buddy ) bb_dg has been around here and there and hasn't done much about it and neither has adriahna (no offense) It is getting crazy though and we are to the point of no moderation again. I like the fact that there is a small amount of it anyway and you don't feel like the mods are above you in any way, but there has to be something to stop these tyrannts from persisting.

Like I said, I have had feuds in the past and I'm sure people around here are not very fond of some of the things I say, but, it is just getting ridiculous with this Anonymous crap. All I want to do is have fun talking about coasters and parks and not feel harassed, or have anyone else be harassed. It is making me very mad. Coasters are a great hobby and should be fun to talk about. Someone please help.

Thank you,
Jay
- Thread Locked
Swimace

6/20/2005 3:58:56 PM
Is it possible to get a new mod for the park/ride update forum. As of now, the only mod who updates the new rides is Shortcake. I like her a lot, but she's not doing a very good job of adding new rides, there are a ton of unanswered threads in that forum.
- Thread Locked
coaster05

6/20/2005 4:13:08 PM
I agree swimace. Some of the posts have been two months without an update. It seems like as soon as people became mods they are on less then before.
- Thread Locked
*FreeBird*

6/20/2005 6:39:31 PM
I think Mark should just give Adriahna and Bob the ability to update the rides, it would be done a lot faster. Besides, this site's strong point is the ability to rate rides so I think they should be up to date.
- Thread Locked
sfo1

6/20/2005 7:42:22 PM
A combination of all the mods would be nice for updating atraction status'. That way whichever moderator is currently online could easily and quickly open and close ride reviews.
- Thread Locked
Page [ 3 of 5 ] 1  2  [ 3 ] 4  5 
Clicky Web Analytics