Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author SFGAm TR
Animan1

6/16/2006 12:50:58 PM
Yes, it’s here again. My annual Six Flags Great America trip report. Where you get to here in excruciating detail my entire day at this awesome park. The order I went on the rides. How the rides were. What I ate. When I stopped at the restroom.

Ok, scratch that. How about just a nice summary instead? You have all read enough TRs from me about this park to know how much I enjoy it. So I’ll just give you a brief rundown of the order I did the coasters in and generally how they were. I will be updating many of my reviews of the Great America coasters this time around too, so you can check those out for more detailed info.

I arrived at the park about 10:30, paid the $15 parking (rather steep, but they are in debt, etcetera, etcetera…). I got my admission ticket (with a coupon for $15 off) and entered the park. They had the Looney Toons characters along with some other dancers up front by the carousel dancing to music, the first time I had ever seen that kind of a performance kick off the day. I decided to head to Superman: Ultimate Flight first, and waited one of the shortest times I have ever for this coaster, about 25 minutes. The coaster seemed to be faster and more intense than I ever remember it being, which was a nice change from its usually fun, but rather dull layout (the pretzel loop is exempt, of course).

Superman: Ultimate Flight - Back Car, Wait Time: 25 minutes

Deciding to skip Ragin’ Cujun’, I decided to hit up Batman The Ride, with, again, one of the shortest waits I’ve ever had. Still an immensely intense and fun coaster, this thing still tears through it’s course, and with almost no head-banging at all, even on the wingovers.

Batman The Ride - Front Car, Wait Time: 10 minutes Back Car, Wait Time: <5 minutes

After Batman, I decided to hit up Vertical Velocity. I got in line, but the ride was then experiencing technical difficulties. I decided to wait it out for a bit, since the line was short and getting shorter as people ducked out. It appeared that they were going to get it running, but shortly after that they put out the sign that said the ride was going to be closed temporarily, at which point myself and just about everybody else left in line decided to leave. I figured I’d come back later when they had it running again.

Moving past V2, Iron Wolf was my next stop. Riding as always in the front car, I was quickly on and again experiencing what to me is an underrated coaster. Yes, it is quite rough, especially for a B&M, but it is their oldest design and still has a fun layout.

Iron Wolf - Front Car, Wait Time: 10 minutes

Following Iron Wolf was the classic woodie, The American Eagle. In the past, they have had the red train running forwards and the blue train running backwards, but one I got to the station (after choosing red) I discovered that they are now running both forwards. I also discovered that they were only running one red train and two blue trains, thus dooming me to a much longer wait than the other side. Still, it was not bad, and I only had to wait about 25 minutes, 30 at the most. They weren’t racing the trains very well, and of course couldn’t do so all the time anyway due to the difference in the train quantities, but it was still a bit irksome to have that element of the coaster diminished. The trims at the beginning of the helix on the red side were also really turned up, as they nearly brought the train to a standstill. I know I’m griping a lot here, and I don’t want it to sound as though I had a bad ride, because it was still a lot of fun. There were just some annoyances that brought the experience down somewhat in those sort of intangible areas.

The American Eagle - Red Train, Back Car, Wait Time: 25 minutes

Following the Eagle, I decided to go on Giant Drop, which I have never gone on when I have gone to the park on my own. Now, as someone who doesn’t like heights, towers are much more stressful to me than coasters, and
FlyingCow

6/17/2006 8:04:28 PM
I was there aswell yesterday, first trip back since 05' Fright Fest! I also managed to pick up a season pass!

Great Trip Report, glad to know you seemed to enjoy the park. I was pleasantly surprised that there werent too many crowds there yesterday, seeing how alot of the chicagoland schools are out for summer!

If you ever feel the need to get a season pass (I dont know if you visit Six Flags more than 3 times a season, though), its well worth it! They leave the park open after hours (2 hours extra!) for those with passes.
hrrytraver

6/19/2006 11:37:51 AM
animan, i should tell you honestly i'm not interested at all in 6fGAm. however, i read your entire review and i think that if i was someone planning to go there for the coasters your review/report would be very informative. good work.
Message updated 6/19/2006 11:38:19 AM by hrrytraver
Animan1

6/19/2006 9:34:30 PM
Thanks for the comment, hrry. I must say that it's rather surprising to me and a bit disappointing that you don't have any interest at all in SFGAm, but I definitely appreciate your honesty, opinion, and willingness to read my whole report. Thanks again for the comments.
Message updated 6/21/2006 8:41:23 PM by Animan1
mrceagle

6/20/2006 6:42:02 PM
Thanks for the well very long trip report. allot of good info and it sounds like you had a really good day.

Hopefully with Shapiro's goal of family oriented and family ride driven attitude, Whizzer will be around for many years to come.
Scott

6/20/2006 11:35:04 PM
I have been very underwhelmed with the Six flags changes, my home park seemed to be in worse condition than last year.

Anyhow, good tr.
Message updated 6/20/2006 11:35:24 PM by Scott
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics