Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Surprise Disneyland TR!!!
Scott

5/16/2006 11:44:42 PM
I thought I wasn't going to write much of a report, but then what follows happened.

Last Thursday, I saw a great fare to California. 150$ round trip! We booked it almost instantly. We spent 2 days in California.

We stayed at the Grand Californian, which provides direct entry into Disney's California Adventure (DCA) and also a direct entry into Downtown Disney. The walk to Disneyland took about 5 minutes. The hotel was very nice, and in great condition.

Day 1- Disneyland- Disneyland's entrance is a hassle, but it had the same effect on me as it did when I was kid - aren't we there yet? It took a good 20 minutes to get into the park.

We decided to ride space mountain first. The entrance to tomorrowland is spectacular looking with the Astro Orbiter swirling futuristic ally about. Anyway, it's also very congested! Throughout our day I will not look forward to entering or leaving Tomorrowland because it's just too crowded.

Space mountain was great, and the wait was only 20 minutes. We got a fastpass, and headed toward frontierland. We rode Big thunder mountain, a great mine ride. The coaster races in and out of the mountain, it never loses speed, the visuals are great and the theming is first rate.

Next we went to New Orleans Square for a trip through the Haunted Mansion. This mansion looks much cooler than the one I remember at Disney World. It's an old color of green and blends in well with the surroundings. It is also here that I realize Disneyland is much prettier than Disney World. Disney World has a much more artificial feel whereas Disneyland has a more intimate, traditional feel. The trees and vegetation are much more mature and dominate the view here, and the pedestrian areas and walkways are smaller and have a more varied gradation.

Our longest wait of the day was Splash Mountain. As crowded as the park was our wait was just over an hour, which I didn't think was bad. Like the Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain lasts for a good long time and the final drop is great! This is the best log flume I've ever ridden - certainly not the wettest, but definitely the best.

I know that the crowds we encountered would be considered light as evidenced by some very short waits (and some walk-ons) but I sure would not want to experience those places with heavy crowds. Seems like I was constantly dodging little ones (bless their hearts) who were allowed to roam a bit too far from Mommy's or Daddy's hands (c'mon folks, watch your kids!). And I have some black marks on my sneakers from contact with stroller wheels. No I did not kick them! There were strollers all over the place, I suppose some contact was inevitable what with pixie dust in everyone's eyes.

Indiana Jones was next. The queue was an attraction itself, and this is one example of the positive side of long waits. The incredibly detailed queue areas immerse you in the story line so that you don't feel the least bit restless waiting to ride. I loved the ride.

Next we rode the Matterhorn. The coaster is surprisingly thrilling, and very well themed. Another great ride.

We went back to space mountain. Space Mountain is AWESOME. The sound system is piped directly into the headrests of each seat, giving every rider an incredibly personal experience. I had my sunglasses on so the ride was completely dark and what fun it was! It's fast and disorienting, but at no time did I feel like my head or neck were in trouble. The sound system just *makes* this ride a first rate experience. I loved space.

We decided to ride star tours. Star tours is a very well done motion sim, but it just isn't that thrilling to me.

We walked to honey I shrunk the audience, and decided to ride. I loved my ride. I screamed at some of the special effects, and laughed at the horrible jokes. Another well done ride.

We tried to ride Pirates, but it was closed down for a much needed rehab.

Jungle cruise was a huge letdown. It still has the same scenes as years ago. What<
Message updated 5/19/2006 6:26:18 PM by Scott
primogen18

5/17/2006 9:54:23 AM
Sounds like you had a great time overall, nice TR. Ive only been to DW so I can only compare in some ways, such as both times I went down the Jungle Cruise had a narrorator and I thought thats how it always was. They were usually pretty entertaining though and everyone seemed to like them. Its a shame about DCA being so empty though, it looks like a great park, kind of "theme crowded" but still looks very nice. Also, I hope you were being sarcastic about that "much needed rehab" on pirates

--------------------
ThrodL
ThrodL on Myspace

Message updated 5/17/2006 9:55:30 AM by primogen18
Scott

5/17/2006 6:23:11 PM
They used to run the ride silently. I can remember it from when I was a kid. I believe they made the update almost 10 years ago!
mrceagle

5/19/2006 5:37:15 PM
Sounds like a good weekend. Wht did you think of the Flats around Paradice Peir.
Scott

5/19/2006 6:23:09 PM
Maliboomer reminded me of Dr. Doom, a fun ride, but very little airtime.
The orange Stinger was fun, but the theming could have been so much better.
I liked golden zephyr alot for some reason.
The mad mouse is great fun, but theming could have been better.
Message updated 5/19/2006 6:25:39 PM by Scott
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics