Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Thursday - hershey park
Scott

7/16/2005 6:38:55 PM
Dear diary,

The first thing I noticed at hershey were the crowds. Oh my gosh look at that parking lot! The thing was overflowing. Cars were everywhere, on the lawn, under trees, dangling from rooftops, everywhere. Well, It wasn't that bad but It was very busy considering it was a weekday.

I got to the park at 10:04 but they still hadn't opened the gates. I was lucky! Geez, the entrance is awfully pretty. It's very Victorian looking, like something out of the Renaissance Festival. I love all of the flowers. So, I participated in the running of the bulls and headed for storm runner. Now, I had never been to hershey before, and I had a little trouble going out to storm runner. I got in line and waited 25 minutes for a front seat ride. The launch was fantastic. It was really intense. After that we went up the tophat, which was short, but provided a bit of airtime. We then went into the immelman (or at least I think we did, it was disorienting.) You go down a bit and hit the zero g roll. Now, the zero g roll was rough, which was a bit of a letdown. It wasn't bad, I just don't like headbanging. We then hit the snake dive. This part of the ride really confused me! I had no idea where I was going. Then we hit the overbank trick track. Ouch, my head was banged around again. The trick track slammed my head from one side to the other. Ouch! You then hit an airtime filled bunny hop and hit the brake run. Well, storm runner was a good ride. It just wasn't top ten material either. Maybe it's better at night. who knows? Convinced to like storm runner I waited 45 minutes for the back row. It was a good ride and much more intense. It was even more rough though. I just can't call a short head banger top 10 stuff. Oh well.

I then headed towards comet hallow. My goodness, this is an eyeful! The Great Bear dominates every sightline in Comet Hollow. But strangely it does not seem like an intrusion. I can easily imagine what this area looked like without it, and I'm sure it was very pretty. Now it has an energy, an excitement, a vibrancy.. You simply *can't* avoid watching Great Bear. It careens in and out of all areas within the hollow, it flips here and dives there and turns around over there. It might be less effective if it weren't such an attractive coaster. The supports are the WIERDEST, most demented looking things ever to hold up a roller-coaster. And yet they look beautiful and add to the coaster's vibrancy. To say it dominates the area is an understatement. You look around and *everybody* is watching Great Bear do its thing.

I waited 40 minutes for great bear. The Great Bear *looks* like an incredibly thrilling ride. It's not. It's not a *bad* ride, and it is indeed a thrill! It's just as thrilling as it looks. This is an inverted coaster built for families. None of the elements - the helix off the lift hill, the first drop - nothing is quite as thrilling as it looks. Great bear is still a fantastic ride considering the area that it was built in is so small.

After that I hit up comet. It looks like a beautiful ride! The line was a pleasure to wait in thanks to the eye-candy provided by Great Bear. I waited 20 minutes for the front row. Comet was very fun. There was no airtime, no extreme laterals or forces. It was just plain fun. It was very smooth considering it's age and I really enjoyed it.

Next we rode the Superdooperlooper, another fun Schwarzkopf creation. However the thrills have been diluted thanks to excessive braking. The poor thing just barely went through the motions. It's still interesting considering that it was one of the first coasters to go upside down.

After that I walked over to the wildcat. I waited 25 minutes for the front. Wildcat is quite a bit rougher then I had expected - it has some nasty shuffling on the first two drops - but it's still tolerable and delivering enormous airtime in the front. Hmmm, I would have liked a much smoother ride. Bummer.

After wildcat I hit lightning racer.
Message updated 7/18/2005 9:56:34 PM by Scott
WAR2174

7/16/2005 8:23:36 PM
Great report Scott. However, according to RCDB the park has 10. I counted all ten in your report. I'm not sure how you got 9.
Scott

7/16/2005 11:28:31 PM
Oooh, I forgot to count the mad mouse. Great my 175th ride was a boomerang.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics