Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Weather
penguin22

6/23/2005 3:00:15 PM
Anybody have any interesting weather experiences. It can be hot, cold, rain, snow, whatever.
mrceagle

6/23/2005 4:29:11 PM
One trip to Canobie I and my group were on the train heading back to the center of the park. A storm came in fast as we pulled away from the back station. the clowds were so dark the lake turned black and the wind created large waves for a lake. teh pecoks were going nuts we even had to stop the train since they ran in front of it. We got back to the front station and it was a complete down pore the trees were tilted to there sides. it was one the most dramatic storms I had ever seen.
Lin48

6/23/2005 8:27:07 PM
Oh boy. It was a day in early May, as I recall, and my class was going on a field trip to Six Flags New England, rain or shine. About an hour before the trip, the sky was looking pretty grim so my father drove my sister and I (we were both going) to Wal Mart to get some portable ponchos. When we got to the school, it was raining and the bus was late, so our dad let us wait in the car for the bus because it was so miserable outside. On the ride over, there was a big accident on the highway involving a tipped over 18-wheeler. I don't know if the weather was directly related, but it wouldn't surprise me. When we got to SFNE, everyone was shocked to find that it was sleeting (!!!) there. Most of our classmates were extremely underdressed (t-shirt, shorts) and had no portable poncho. Lucky for my sister and I, we did, and we put them on and tried to enjoy the beginning of our day at SFNE. It was hard to, though, when they weren't opening most rides until it got above a certain temperature. It was amazing for that time of year. But they did open the tomahawk ride and let me just tell you, riding that in sleet...HURTS! After that, we hid in an arcade and drank nasty coffee until it stopped. When it did, it warmed up a little and we ended up having a decent day. As I recall, the sun did end up coming out by the end of the day and I got to ride Superman: Ride of Steel twice in a row! But that is a story for another day.
tacoking

6/23/2005 9:05:51 PM
It wasn't a weather experience at a park, but it was coming home from one. My sister was driving me back from Magic Kingdom (or Epcot, I forgot) and there was these severe thunderstorms just east of Orlando (never rained at the park, though) and as we were driving down the road, you could see a tornado to the left, but it was bright blue skies to the left.

Oddly enough, that has happened to me twice. The time I just told you about, and the other during a shuttle launch. In the bright blue sky part the shuttle was going off with the tornado and severe thunder storm not too far from it.

Talk about Florida weather, eh?

--------------------

Revenge of the Mummy is the greatest ride ever!
Message updated 6/23/2005 9:06:20 PM by tacoking
larrygator

6/23/2005 11:39:39 PM
I saw a rainbow yesterday, it was pretty

Other than the fact that it seemed to rain every time I went to a park in the past two years, nothing too strange weatherwise at the parks.

and riding S:ROS in a driving rainstorm will make your eyeballs hurt for days!

--------------------
Mom always said, "Don't play ball in the house".
Message updated 6/23/2005 11:42:12 PM by larrygator
darkridrMD

6/24/2005 9:06:32 AM
When I was at Knoebels back in May and met up with Adriahna, I explored the park on my own earlier in the day. It was pretty overcast, but hadn't rained. I got in line for the first row on the Twister, and by the time I got on it, it was pouring! I was just wearing shorts and a tee-shirt. It was probably in the 60's. The rain hurt so much on that coaster, that I had to keep my head down the entire time. I was miserable. I can only imagine what my coaster picture looked like. And of course, when I got off, there wasn't a dry spot on my body.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
6/24/2005 9:41:43 AM
Probably the craziest park/weather experience I had was back at Kings Island... I was at work doing caricatures, and a HUGE storm came through. There were several tornadoes reported in the area, and the park closed immediately. Mass exodus of panicking patrons - seriously, all of these people were running down International Street to get out. I packed up my stuff and clocked out, then changed back to my "civilian" clothes. Then, word got around that the park had, for some reason, reopened. I was like, "WHAT??? They're crazy," but sure enough, I headed back into the park - and the coasters were running. It turned into a weird, surreal version of an employee-only free for all - the place was barren, outside of the lucky retail, food and maintenance workers, running around from ride to ride like a bunch of monkeys let out of cages. The skies were still ominous - it was about 5pm, and nearly completely dark. No rain, but wind, and lightning throughout the clouds.

I was by now in the Coney Mall area, and looked for what to ride - then saw that the Racer had a BIG thundercloud hovering just above the crest of the lift hill, and, somewhat stupidly, I thought, "heck, I'll probably never get this kind of opportunity again..." - and walked right on to the front seat. It was LOONY, I tell you - being just under this rumbling, lightning-laced thundercloud, then sent into the drop. I wanted to do it again, but by the time I got back into the station (I was alone on the train), the cloud was gone. Kooky experience...
Danny

6/24/2005 2:35:47 PM
I was with my family at the Myrtle Beach Pavilion and it started to rain hard, and didn't stop for about 45 minutes, so we left. As soon as we got to our hotel, we heard an announcement that a hurricane was coming and they were evacuating the oceanside hotels. It was our first full day of the trip and we had to leave. Luckily I got my share of rides on the Hurricane...(coaster)
The Lado

6/24/2005 8:21:29 PM
I know Knoebels has been forunate with having severe weather. I wouldn't wanna be in the park with those trees if the wind really got into it. Anyhow, we did have one storm last summer that brought us flash flooding. Not as bad at the hurricane, but it flapped over the walls of the creek and the water was 3 feet deep behind the wheel and a foot deep in front of Cesari's. The best thing though is watching garbage cans float around in the water...
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
6/24/2005 9:26:11 PM
Lado, I was at the park after it flooded - on that Saturday, when the park was open only to the people using the campground. Roaring Creek was insane, and that was after the park crew had been cleaning up. The pics that were up on Sunday morning were NUTS...
Scott

6/24/2005 11:40:22 PM
The year was 1998. I had a major trip planned to SFGAM, Holiday world and michigans adventure. The one thing I had not planned for was the weather. Well, I was flying through chicago, and planned on hitting GAM. Well, I turned on the weather channel. It was pouring in chicago. Okay, this was going to be tricky. I had precious little time to waste. My plane didn't land until 3:30 and I wouldn't be at the park until 4:30 or 5:00. The park closed at 8:00. It would be a miracle if I rode every coaster in such a short amount of time. Plus I was scheduled to drive another 4-5 hours to Jasper, Indiana that night. Any deviation caused by weather, traffic, carjackings, drive by shootings, whatever, would lay my perfectly constructed plans to waste. I was doomed from the start. My plane was delayed and traffic on Cicero Ave. was backed up for miles. I didn't even leave the car rental lot until 4:00. And it was *pouring* rain. My plans were coming apart at the seams! I hard a hard time letting go of those seven seductive coasters (remember this was 98)

Chicago also has terrible roads. What the hell are all these tolls for and why do I have to stop for one every ten feet? These are the worst roads in the world, where's all the money going? I opted to bypass the interstate in Indiana and instead take Hwy 41, which is practically a straight line running down the western edge of the state. I figured this would result in a shorter driving time to Jasper. Oh well, I could head to holiday world the next day.

What I failed to take into account were the one million stop lights that have been installed all along this freakin highway. I was sick of stop lights, so I headed over to I 65. At North Hayseed I turned left and grudgingly made my way over to I-65. As I entered the interstate I thought to myself "Okay, the bad part's over, time to enjoy your trip." That's *precisely* when the rain began to pick up. Cue thunder, cue lightening. Add to that the annoying problem of my windshield wiper, which seemed to clear every bit of the window except that tiny area that fell precisely within my line of sight. Scrunching down in order to see out the window, I turned on the radio to get a weather report and could not get the AM/FM switch to work. There was also no obvious scan/seek or dial function so I'm stuck listening to whine rock. The deejay so taken with Alanis apparently had no concerns about the weather. As I neared West Lunkhead the traffic was down to 50 mph. The storm was getting much worse. Each time I'd shake my head and think "it *can't* get any worse" IT GOT WORSE! Finally traffic slowed to a crawl and the interstate became a one-lane 20 mph caravan. Then all of a sudden everybody just stopped driving. I looked to my right and saw little bits of trash swirling about in the air. Oh my God, there was OBVIOUSLY a tornado somewhere. I drove to an overpass just ahead and got out and hid with about 20 or 30 people. There were little kids screaming and crying - it was awful! It didn't really feel like we were in THAT great of danger but it *was* definitely scary. After about 5 minutes the storm died down and I took off. No cars, children or cows were carried away and I never did see a tornado. Still, it was not the kind of excitement I had so meticulously planned for this trip. So, I pulled into my hotel at 12 o clock and went to sleep.

The next day was sunny. There was a slight risk of thunderstorms in the afternoon, but I wasn't concerned. I was just looking forward to ert on raven. The afternoon was a scorcher. I took advantage of the free soda and looked at the building clouds. Uh oh. I ate dinner and got ready for ert.

After dinner it was time to get down to business. The Raven, all night, in the dark.

BOOM!

The distant lightning and thunder was getting closer and closer. It made for an incredible light show during our rides, but frankly I was getting a bit worried it might bring a halt to our ERT. I went to grab my st
Message updated 6/24/2005 11:41:22 PM by Scott
The Lado

6/25/2005 10:44:20 AM
Quote:
adriahna said:
Lado, I was at the park after it flooded - on that Saturday, when the park was open only to the people using the campground. Roaring Creek was insane, and that was after the park crew had been cleaning up. The pics that were up on Sunday morning were NUTS...[/quote

I had off that Saturday. The funny thing with that hurricane is once the water went down a foot or two they started to replace the stone in front of the Warf and wouldn't you know it the damn 10 miles up the road released water to relive pressure and the water went up again and took away all the stone they just put down! HA!
Taker85

6/25/2005 6:53:10 PM
speaking of weather,if anyone is planing on going to the central florida theme parks during the summer,I would re think that.Its the same thing everyday,90 degree weather in the morning,pouring rain in the afternoon and evening.Plus with everyride has like an 80 minunte wait.I just dont think its worth the time or the money,with the ticket prices skyhigh i just dont think you would get the greatest experence and your moneys worth.
tacoking

6/25/2005 8:42:34 PM
Which is why you don't go on weekends. If you go during the weekdays, the lines are a lot better - and the weather? Deal with it.
Taker85

6/26/2005 8:11:57 AM
Not really the lines are still pretty long on summer weekdays 2 avarging with 60 minuntes.Im just saying isnt the best time to go to florida parks.
penguin22

6/28/2005 12:54:36 PM
Here is some weather related advice. Do not go on a 200 foot plus roller coaster in a storm.
tacoking

6/28/2005 3:20:24 PM
Quote:
Taker85 said:
Not really the lines are still pretty long on summer weekdays 2 avarging with 60 minuntes.Im just saying isnt the best time to go to florida parks.

Um, no. I have been to IoA three times already since my school got out (May 24th). All three times on a Tuesday, and no line was longer than 35 minutes. I did make a stop over to Universal too get my ride(s) on the Mummy, and the line for it was 45 minutes.
Taker85

6/28/2005 5:38:12 PM
May isnt as bad,but i was refering to june,july and and august.
tacoking

6/28/2005 10:05:48 PM
Just take your loss like a man.

Two of my visits were in June.

Once July rolls around (whoo! one week until I can drive alone), I will be hitting the park(s) pretty much weekly - so it's all good.
Taker85

6/28/2005 11:32:51 PM
Go when ever u want for all i care,im just saying summer isnt the best time to go to florida theme parks.
RCGenius

6/30/2005 6:44:22 AM
I really hope that when I go to Florida, my trips to IOA, USF, Seaworld Orlando, & BGT aren't going to be cut short b/c of heavy rain. I know that Florida has unpredictable weather b/c when I was 10 & we went down there to visit Disney, it was raining almost all of the time. It was so annoying. Hopefully, my weather experience will change this time to being more sunny.
tacoking

6/30/2005 11:50:24 AM
When are you coming down here?
RCGenius

6/30/2005 2:26:26 PM
Tacoking, the answer's on the Season Calendar Thread.
tacoking

6/30/2005 4:05:16 PM
So you are going to IoA on the 4th. I imagine that it will be pretty busy since it's independence day and all. Good news is the weather shouldn't be anything bad, just your normal showers from 3-5 or somewhere around there.
Cairn

7/8/2005 10:14:48 PM
Back when I was in high school, myself and a group of friends went to Riverside Park (now known as Six Flags New England) on the first day of the season...which happened to fall on March 31st. The day was cloudy and quite chilly, but the park was open.

After about three hours of riding rides in a near empty park, it started to snow very lightly. As we boarded the Cyclone, the snow became quite heavy. We ended up riding the coaster in a near white out snow squall. It was awsome!!! About 10 minutes later, the snow stopped and the sun came out, but not without putting a good coat of white everywhere.
fergusonat

7/9/2005 11:28:50 PM
My weird weather experience happened probably about a month ago at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. I was determined to get an on-ride video of Apollo's Chariot, and with the weather channel spouting off only a 20% chance of rain, I went into the park very confident. Well, along the horizon, dark clouds began to build up, and soon they were hovering just above the park. It drizzled on and off for hours, and though I was having a blast on the rides in the rain, I wasn't about to risk short-circuiting my camera in the pounding rain. But about 3 o'clock I would say, the rain stopped, and I immediately raced to Apollo to get my video. I waited the 20 minutes for the front row, and still no rain...I was going to make it. Finally, it was my turn, and I moved my fanny pack into position and hopped into those ridiculously comfortable seats. And I swear, just as I pulled the restraint to my lap, the rain began to pour. I had been defeated. My heart sunk. I felt like crap. We began the slow trudge up the lift hill, with each clank my frustrations grew. But just then, about 3/4 up the lift hill, the rain stopped. I instantly whipped my camera out and got my POV vid. So even though the weather was really weird, it ended up adding to the thrill...
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics