Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Michigans Adventure TR 5/28/05
larrygator

6/2/2005 12:06:20 PM
After a hilarious exchange with the front desk the night before in setting up a wake-up call I get up at 5:15AM and am on the road by 6AM to meet up with coaster05 (Rich) at Michigans Adventure.

Landing in Chicago the day prior saved me an hour but now driving to Michigan was going to cost me an hour causing me to ask for a 5:15 wake-up call, then changing it to 6:15, then realizing I had originally wanted a 5:15 wake-up to give for the time zone change. Not only is it still all confusing to me, but even coaster05, a veteran of the time zone challenged state of Indiana. He was going to call me when he was about an hour from the park, but he calls me right before the 10AM opening to tell me that he forgot Michigans Adventure is a different time zone from South Bend at this time in the year and he was running late.

I get to the park at 10:15 and encounter more season pass confusion with Cedar Fair. I go to the entrance gate and am told that if I have a sister park pass (Dorney) I need to go to the Season Pass office and have them print me a paper ticket for electronic scanning purposes.

On to the real reason for your reading this thread - The Park itself.

The park itself is not that cluttered and it is very empty on this day. The rides are all in one compact area with the water park being on the other end of a small man-made lake.

I enter the park and hit a few rides quickly before Rich calls me again. First I hop in the Mad Mouse, an average Wild Mouse. Then I head over to Zach's Zoomer my new favorite junior woodie. On the Scrambler which is run at a fast dizzying pace and for a long cycle. I see that Rich has called while I'm on the Scrambler. I meet him, his wife Melanie and their friends at the season pass office and give his friends a "buy one get one free coupon". A bonus for being a Shareholder.

From there we all ride Corkscrew and Flying Trapeze. I waited while Rich and crew rode Mad Mouse, I needed to get a bottle of water as the cold I had acquired was at it's worst. Rich convinced me to ride the kiddie coaster Big Dipper (since I had to cut Little a-Merrick-a out of the trip I decide I will be a coaster whore), then Zach's Zoomer again.

On the Big Dipper my restraint automatically popped opens as we coasted through the station the first time, that can't be good, even on a kiddie coaster.

The Falling Star is down and that's one flat I have really come to enjoy. Normally I would have ridden Sea Dragon (pirate ship) but my body is absolutely aching from this cold.

Next we go on Wolverine Wildcat, which Rich says it was inspired by The Phoenix. I ride in the front and back but don't find it to be a good ride. I agree with Rich that it is no Phoenix.

Next up is the raison d'etre SHIVERING TIMBERS. We ride it
5 times as walk-ons and all I can see (well I'll say more in the actual review), this coaster is worthy of all the praise it gets. Airtime to rival Phoenix, a wild turn-around and non-stop powerful helix to end.

We all head over to the Family Grill for lunch where the option are BBQ chicked, hamburger, bratwurst or hot dogs with sides of baked beans, slaw, chips and a drink for $7-$8. I think it was $2 less with a season pass. The food was edible but not going to win any culinary awards. Exactly the food options in the are limited with the only intriguing option being "Chicken on a Stick", I'll leave this up to Rich to describe since I never did see this concoction.

From here I split off with Rich and crew (I'm sure they were sick of my coughing and sneezing by this time) and decided to dedicate the rest of my day to Shivering Timbers and rehydratinh myself. I spent two hours leisurely walking on to Shivering Timbers and back through the queue line, never waiting more then one ride. I rode about 8-9 times alone then went to look for Rich and crew. then we proceeded to ride 3-4 more times. A total of 17-18 rides (I lost track) for the day with most rides in
Message updated 6/2/2005 12:07:25 PM by larrygator
Scott

6/2/2005 12:48:40 PM
Good tr. Man larry, you've been meeting a lot of people from tpc lately. I'm in the middle of nowhere. Oh yeah, I'll go to elitch's with cp guy. How could I have forgotten about him.
coaster05

6/2/2005 1:08:41 PM
Thanks Larry I also enjoyed your company and being a school teacher I almost always have part of a cold so I didn't really notice. Considering Larry and I are both pretty quiet I thought we did a nice job talking and would welcome the chance to go to a park with him in the future.
larrygator

6/2/2005 1:13:25 PM
Quote:
Scott said:
Good tr. Man larry, you've been meeting a lot of people from tpc lately. I'm in the middle of nowhere. Oh yeah, I'll go to elitch's with cp guy. How could I have forgotten about him.

let the rest of us know when you'll be at Coney Island, that's only 20 miles from me and others on the site go there at least once a year.
Hercules

6/2/2005 1:20:01 PM
Nice report Larry. I love the comparison to Allen Iverson I can't imagine anything giving just as much if not more airtime than Phoenix, but that is awesome. Like I said, I'm considering taking a trip out within the next couple years and Shivering Timbers is up there on the list now.

Oh yeah, I'm up for Coney Island.
Scott

6/2/2005 1:25:22 PM
I'm in jersey the 10th of july through the 16th. I have alot of family matters to deal with while I'm out there. I'm going to GADV and knoebels for sure.
Message updated 6/2/2005 1:25:48 PM by Scott
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics