Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Visionland TR 5/14/05
Godsentone

5/16/2005 2:22:35 PM
Ok, now that I have 3 visits to Visionland under my belt, so far this season, I can now give an even more accurate review and preview of what to expect in the future for future guests.

I also took several pictures and I will get those online ASAP.

Now, for my trip report to VL on Saturday, May 14, 2005:

It was a beautiful, sunny day--the perfect day for visiting a park of any kind; thrills, chills or in Visionland's case, both.

The first thing I noticed on my way to VL, about halfway between my hometown and the park, was a billboard on the Interstate featuring Zoomerang, the new boomerang coaster at VL. I thought to myself; cool, can't wait to ride it.

I decided to pull my camera out of the bag to catch any other signage along the way, since I missed this opportunity last time. I knew of the sign about 3 miles from the new Visionland Parkway Exit that says 'Visionland Freeway' so I got a shot of it.

For anyone that doesn't know, Visionland Freeway is the stretch of highway, on I-59N/I-20E, that is about 10 miles in length and serves as great marketing aid for the park.

After exiting onto Visionland Parkway, I took the short drive past the WaterMark Outlet Mall and came to the Visionland entrance/exit gates. After I pulled into the gates I pulled off to the side to take a few more pictures. I called these next few pictures I took, "First-Impression" Pictures. I got shots of the Space Shot's tower, which is currently the tallest structure in the park at 185 feet; the parking lot, which was pretty full on the left hand side and parts of the middle with vehicles including several buses; the parking ticket booths; the backside of 3 of the major rides in Splash Beach Water Park and the Front Entrance Gate and Ticket Booths.

As I walked up to the front gate, I noticed again that there was no security presence there, even though, I knew they were situated inside the building with the dark tinted-windows off to the left. As usual, I let the attendent scan my season pass and I was once again inside my home park.

I wanted to continue taking "First Impression" pictures so I got several shots of all of the landmark items, shops, games and I even got a shot of a Ford Mustang that was parked there, obviously for some kind of contest. I didn't inquire on it so there are no details available.

I did get a chuckle from this couple who thought I was the cameraman for the park. They were about to pose, but I told them I was a guest, they laughed and I was off to Magic Adventure. Before I entered this area I got a shot of the children playing in the water fountains shooting up in front of the entrance to Magic Adventure.

Now that the park was open to the GP, I noticed that they had 2 attendents there checking wristbands and season passes. I flashed my pass and walked on in. I took a few shots of the games area, food shops/stands/carts, retail carts, and the Coca Cola Ampitheater.

Still<
Message updated 5/23/2005 12:11:30 AM by Godsentone
coaster05

5/16/2005 2:30:03 PM
Nice review, extremely detailed. Now I know why I don't do very many TR I just don't write with that type of detail. I disagree with your sleeper comment but if your TR is accurate it definately sounds like they are heading in the right direction. IMO keeping a clean park is one of the most effective ways to increase your business.
Godsentone

5/16/2005 3:03:13 PM
Well, you don't have to be as detailed as I am. I started with great detail but b/c of time, I summed up most of it towards the end. The sleeper comment is a matter of opinion. Yes, I agree that cleanliness is a must.
Godsentone

5/22/2005 1:18:34 AM
Now you guys have a glimpse of Visionland. Check out the Pics!!!
Scott

5/22/2005 12:38:54 PM
They don't work for me.
sfo1

5/22/2005 1:38:02 PM
Me neither...the problem is you just took the pictures directly off your computer, and we can't see that unless you upload them to an internet photo site.

Nice TR...seems like Visionland is making strides to serve that area nicely.
Godsentone

5/23/2005 12:12:19 AM
Here is a trip report by someone from another website:

"My wife and I visited VL for several hours on 5/8 and you were looking for a trip report from me. Basically, I got back to California on 5/16 but I've been bombarded by enough work and domestic issues that I never got past the halfway point on a full writeup. I'll give some highlights . . .

- Employees were generally friendly and rather efficient, from my experience.
- Rampage, of course, is a plus. It made a good choice as the 200th coaster that I've been on. My first few rides on it were with a less-than-empty train, and seemed only good. Later on, the trains were consistently full, and the ride had heated up a bit - our last few rides were the best. It's just outside my top ten wood list, and that's not bad at all.
- The park was generally clean (though I expect that since it was the first day open to the general public).
- On the Wild River Gorge, I liked getting to see some of the machinery in action. It was nicely designed from an aesthetic point of view as well.
- On entering, the park is very impressive visually. Being up on a hill, Rampage seems to cover 1/2 the back of the park, and appears taller and more imposing than it is. Zoomerang is also well-positioned in a similar way. It looks kinda like a banana . . .
- Mindspinder was tame for a breakdancer. Pat loves breakdancers, and virtually anything that spins, but she was underwhelmed.
- There are some dead end paths, that don't look like dead ends on the park map. Maybe the extra walking was useful since we had a heavy lunch at the Tuscaloosa Dreamland, but it was a little frustrating.

Overall, it was a good visit, mostly made by the Rampage, and the park does have potential. It does look to me like a work in progress at this point. I'd have to stick with my earlier assumption that Visionland is destined to be a good regional park rather than a Cedar Point kind of place though. I still like the spinning family coaster as the next addition too.

Thanks for the tips leading up to our visit."

--------------------
A Bigger, Better Vision Alive In 2005

http://www.visionland.com/

Please visit my personal group @
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/Everything-Visionland

Message updated 5/24/2005 11:37:20 AM by Godsentone
Godsentone

5/24/2005 11:17:59 AM
Hey Scott and sfo1 have you seen the pictures yet?
mrceagle

5/24/2005 11:53:44 AM
Yust saw the pics myself verry good. teh park looks great.
Godsentone

5/24/2005 1:03:25 PM
Yeah, I have more pictures of most of the rides, especially several shots of Rampage and Zoomerang. Pictures coming soon.
Godsentone

5/25/2005 12:32:11 PM
If anyone has any questions about anything you saw in the pictures, let me know!!
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics