Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Author Powder Keg Video - Lots of POV!!!
robbalvey

5/8/2005 3:33:38 AM
Hey everyone!

Elissa and I have just posted our new Powder Keg video:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/videos/video.htm

Tons of POV to satisfy all your needs as well as lots of offride shots from underneath the rides structure.

I hope the video shows off how awesome the ride is, because it was really a GREAT surprise to us both.

Anyway, enjoy the video and please give us your feedback!

--Robb

--------------------
For a good time, click:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum
Godsentone

5/8/2005 7:08:44 AM
Well, well, well if it isn't the infamous Robb with his trusted sidekick Elissa. Are you guys still taking pictures of people's bathrooms lol. You may want to get your butts back to Visionland for RRR, it will not be the same with out you.

--------------------
Bigger, Better Vision Alive In 2005
http://www.visionland.com/

Latest Replies
Holidays Latest News Speculation Expansion Trip Reports Events
Message updated 5/8/2005 7:09:38 AM by Godsentone
robbalvey

5/8/2005 12:21:07 PM
Glad to see our "Most Disgusting Bathrooms In The World Can Be Found At Visionland" update affected you in that way. That was our goal. Perhaps Visionland saw that and decided to hire a janitor?

I'm sorry we can't make it to Rip Roarin' Rampage this year. We'll be at IOA and WDW that weekend instead. But if improvements are really in store for Visionland, we look forward to visiting again.

Now back on topic, I hope you guys like the Powder Keg video and all that onride footage!

--Robb
Message updated 5/8/2005 12:22:19 PM by robbalvey
Swimace

5/8/2005 12:28:59 PM
How did you like the ride? I think it looks great, but I probably wont get a chance to ride it for a while.
robbalvey

5/8/2005 5:31:18 PM
The ride was really awesome! It was a great surprise.

It's kind of hard to describe in the sense that it's not like any other launched ride I've been on. I'd say it's probaby more like California Screamin' than anything else.

They call it a 'family launched coaster' which I guess it is, in the sense that it's not so daunting that little kids wouldn't be terrified of it, but it's also got a couple of great drops with very good airtime and the launch is a lot of fun too.

And the great theming and the fire effects just add to already a very good ride.

So given that SDC also has a really good B&M, one of the better Arrow mine trains, and Fire in the Hole is a good laugh, not to mention Osark Wildcat down the street was a top notch woodie, suddenly Banson has become a serious 'coaster stop' in the past 5 years!

--Robb
Scott

5/8/2005 5:39:43 PM
You know robb. I've been looking through your site lately and I really like it. I used to think it was pretty dumb... Now I love your site. BTW, good footage.
Message updated 5/8/2005 5:40:28 PM by Scott
robbalvey

5/8/2005 6:51:04 PM
^ LOL! Thanks for the feedback!

Can I ask you, what was it that you found dumb before, but you don't now?

Just curious!

--Robb
BobFunland

5/8/2005 6:58:50 PM
Hey, thanks Rob, I'm glad you value our site so much as to do nothing but advertise your site. Way to go

With that said, I'll check the video out tonight. Iim thinking of a midwest swing next summer, so seeing Powder Keg could sway my decision to stop at the park
robbalvey

5/8/2005 7:06:39 PM
^ Hey no problem. I guess my comments and reports I posted about the ride meant nothing right? You know, I *DID* actually do some research and noticed that I couldn't find anything posted about Powder Keg to these forums since Feb.

If I was just in it for advertising my site, I'd be coming around and spamming you guys with the video contest updates, our SFMM event, blah, blah, blah.

But when I post something here, it's because I have somethign to share that I noticed hasn't been covered by anyone else. Is that such a bad thing? Especially considering that I've followed it up with comments and answers to questions.

I see other people here posting information about photos, videos, etc on other websites. Why am *I* the bad guy for doing that too? And why is it 'ok' for someone else to post, for example, a link to our Thunderhead video, but it's not ok for me to post a link to my Powder Keg video? Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

http://www.themeparkcritic.com/Forums/ViewTopic.asp?TopicID=121318&ForumKey=1

http://www.themeparkcritic.com/Forums/ViewTopic.asp?TopicID=106846&ForumKey=1

It just so happens that my contribution to the enthusaist community happens to be lots of videos and photos. Something that requires a lot of expensive internet bandwidth. If it was easy to simply post my videos to this site or forum to contribute my work that way, I would be more than happy to. But I'm the one that eats the cost of the bandwidth, simply because I like to share my work and my travels with other people.

Sorry if it comes off as spam, but trust me, if I was interested in spamming, you'd know it! Spamming would be if I came along, posted about my video, then left. But here I am being active in the discussion.

That being said, I do hope you like the video!

--Robb "Happy to be the first person to contribute a Powder Keg thread to these boards in a long time!" Alvey
Message updated 5/8/2005 7:37:18 PM by robbalvey
BobFunland

5/8/2005 9:38:25 PM
There's a difference between posting from another site and plugging your site. The othes who posted video links are regulars, about the only time we see you is for a website update or something. I dont mind it too much, but that's pretty much all you do here. It's ok I suppose, most people probably dont mind, but I would prefer to hear more than just about TPR from you, especially with your vast experience. I don't think its spam at all, it's something else.

Sorry to tick you off at all (if I did)

by the way, what editing software do you use? Is that your job or something?
robbalvey

5/9/2005 1:46:50 AM
^ Not at all...I actually wanted to make sure I didn't do anything wrong.

If it sounds like all you hear is TPR, I'm sorry about that. Quite honestly, that's all about we do though!

If we have something to talk about or post, it usually represented on the site.

So it's kind of hard for us to talk about our travels and our experience WITHOUT talking about TPR!

But I'll try!

I use Adobe Premiere to edit. Honestly, we don't do anything that out of the ordinary. I think we just use good footage and time our shots well to the music. But ANYONE can make a video in the style that we do!

As for a living, I don't edit video for a living, but I do run a video game development team. So I'm in the entertainment biz full time. The games our studio makes is here:
http://www.callofduty.com/

We did "United Offensive" and now we're working on "Big Red One" which will be out this xmas.

--Robb
Message updated 5/9/2005 1:49:12 AM by robbalvey
mrceagle

5/9/2005 10:18:22 AM
You didn't do anything wrong. you can never make every one happy. I like that you do this it keeps me from having to watch your site. I just watch this an a few other sites to mention an update of a ride POV I want.

Good job on the vid. I Knew it moved from one track to another for the launch. I didn't know it went on an angle. The ride looks like a blast.

one question though. Dose that water area splash of is it just there to take up space?
Swimace

5/9/2005 10:26:54 AM
It's not like he did this!!!! LOL, one of the funniest threads ever (right behind Gov's flame with tacoking and Homer's snail topic)
robbalvey

5/9/2005 11:12:11 AM
^^ The ride is supposed to have a splash down ending, it just wasn't on the day we were there because it actually was quite cold.

I'm also not 100% that the entire effect was completed. It still looked a bit under construction. But it IS supposed to work during warmer summer days.

--Robb
mrceagle

5/9/2005 11:30:16 AM
Thanks for the info. I injoy your site allot and you have some great vids. Hopefully I will get out to Branson and many parks in the near future.
primogen18

5/9/2005 12:08:00 PM
Quote:
robbalvey said:
^^ The ride is supposed to have a splash down ending, it just wasn't on the day we were there because it actually was quite cold.

I'm also not 100% that the entire effect was completed. It still looked a bit under construction. But it IS supposed to work during warmer summer days.

--Robb

yeah my dad went and the splash wasnt on (they were in branson last week, lucky). Btw, I didn't know you posted on here, lol, thats pretty cool haham great site.

--------------------
Primogen 18's Page
My Message Boards<My New Art Promotional Domain

BobFunland

5/9/2005 4:00:41 PM
No problems here Robb, though you could post a link to TPC on your site. We link to yours

Premier, good choice. That's what I figured but for some strange reason wanted to ask.
robbalvey

5/9/2005 5:05:13 PM
^ Done!

It's weird...I could have SWORN you guys were on our links page already!

Sorry.

--Robb
Scott

5/9/2005 7:08:06 PM
Quote:
robbalvey said:
^ LOL! Thanks for the feedback!

Can I ask you, what was it that you found dumb before, but you don't now?

Just curious!

--Robb

I dunno. My sense of humor has changed over time. I used to think your jokes were corney, but now I find them funny. And there was always a rumor or 2 about you shooting videos illegally.
Swimace

5/9/2005 7:35:13 PM
I like the photo section because it gives you an idea of how good or bad a ride turned out to be, rather than just giving pictures. They can also be pretty funny
robbalvey

5/9/2005 8:21:32 PM
Yeah, the rumors are entertaining to say the least. I wish our real life was as exciting as the stuff we hear that we do!

--Robb
mrceagle

5/12/2005 4:36:14 PM
Must have been on Absolutly reliable!
robbalvey

5/13/2005 3:43:18 AM
^ They have been! LOL! I love that site!
Hercules

5/13/2005 4:00:22 AM
I guess it is kind of my time to get in on this because I haven't.

Hey Robb, I'm Jay... or Hercules as you can see by my screenname Nice to meet you.

When I first saw you posting on here when I first got to the site, my first thought was shameless promotion. However, as I've gone on to see, you actually stick around for a little while after you post and contribute a little if people have questions. I like that. Of course, you disappear after that until you have a new video come out, but hey, nothing overly wrong with that I guess.

I went on the site to check out the Powder Keg video and it was nicely done. I got curious so I checked out the videos that interested me. To tell the truth, some of them were kind of lacking but some were very well done. Nice job I went through most of them and I can honestly say that I kind of feel like I know you That's just how well you do your videos.

But anyway... is this promotion for your site? Yes. Is it wrong? Yes and no. I'm kind of on the fence with it but I'm leaning towards it being ok. You do bring some insite along for the ride and you don't just post and disappear for an extended period right after, so I do have to commend you on that. As long as you keep doing that, I don't see a problem with you around here. All I can say is that I hope you shoot your stuff legally. I would hope so. But anyway, you passed my test, eventhough it doesn't really mean that much around here and probably doesn't mean that much to you. I would kill to do what you do. Can I come along for the ride sometime when you are up here in PA? But yeah, just keep doing what you are doing as long as it is legal and all of that happy stuff, and you are cool by me
primogen18

5/13/2005 11:28:32 AM
I dotn think its just site promotion, Cyclonic does the same for his TR's. Im just glad we are getting new members, and Robb Alvey has a very well known site (and damned good one at that, very well done and some funny stuff) so its really cool ot have him around. It also would be funny to catch them at a park sometime filming a vid lol.
Message updated 5/13/2005 11:32:36 AM by primogen18
mrceagle

5/15/2005 6:47:48 PM
Many sites alow you to have banners and that is normaly your site. in that sort of situation you see the add manny times. this is mearly info. If I posted it woudl it be somthing deforent.

anyways I like the vids since i havn't been to many parks and my 2 year old niece loves sitign with me and watching the park videos and POV's. This videos are higher quality then most sites so I can comfertably view them full screen
Red Rascal

6/23/2005 8:55:47 AM
Bit off topic, but Robb and his crew are visiting European parks on a daily basis and posting pictures as well as trip reports on their findings. I find it to be a good read, some great shots of the coasters most of us will never see, and best of all, POVs!

CLICK HERE

--------------------
~ Coaster Count: 109 ~

What's life if you never get to the Point?
Swimace

6/23/2005 9:50:30 AM
Yeah, I've been reading up on those, pretty good stuff
tacoking

6/24/2005 10:22:21 PM
Quote:
robbalvey said:
As for a living, I don't edit video for a living, but I do run a video game development team. So I'm in the entertainment biz full time. The games our studio makes is here:
http://www.callofduty.com/

We did "United Offensive" and now we're working on "Big Red One" which will be out this xmas.

Call of Duty is the greatest game ever, with the expansion right behind it. If you have ever checked out the video games forum here, you would see that I rant on how great it is many many times. I have probably logged over 600 hours online with both the original and expansion, and about another 300 playing the single player campaigns. Never have I seen two games deliver such experiences in both multiplayer and single player.

Obviously looking forward to Call of Duty 2, but we can't forget about the Big Red One. After Finest Hour (total disaster compared to the PC games), let's hope this one delievers the same experiences found on the PC versions.

I am cutting myself off now, before I get really into it. I think I will go play some Harbor S&D right now.

--------------------

Revenge of the Mummy is the greatest ride ever!
robbalvey

7/9/2005 12:14:25 AM
Quote:
Red Rascal said:
Bit off topic, but Robb and his crew are visiting European parks on a daily basis and posting pictures as well as trip reports on their findings. I find it to be a good read, some great shots of the coasters most of us will never see, and best of all, POVs!

CLICK HERE

Hey guys!

Glad you liked the Europe updates! We're back and we have a LOT of work to do on new videos and photo udpates. (not to mention I've got a lot of CoD work to do at my day job too!)

Thanks for the kind words....back to work now!

--Robb "I hope you guys liked the POVs we posted from Europe too!" Alvey
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Clicky Web Analytics