Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author TR - SFMM on 10/1/04
larrygator

10/8/2004 10:42:54 PM
$8 to park and then a ten minute work to the entrance. I met a friend for dinner the night before and her response was "oh hasn't it become a gang hangout". Well at 9:45 I'm waiting for the gates to open and after going there the security system I feel pretty safe in this Friday morning crowd.

I head to X first but it's closed and the workers sya it'll be at least an hour. Then I head to Viper and it's closed. Then I head to Deja Vu and Psyclone both of which are also closed.

Then I take have my second workout of the day walking up the hill to Superman: The Escape and I finally get a ride. Actually two walk-on rides but it sure don't feel like 100MPH.

Next up Ninja, also closed. This is not a great start to a day at a park known for closed rides.

A quick walk-on ride with GoldRusher follows before I hit a couple of big rides.

Riddler's Revenge is a one train wait as is Batman: The Ride. However, Colossus is closed.

Luckily I got multiple ride on Scream and Goliath, both of which are two ride waits. Boy is the walk-through queue for Golaith long.

I walk past Flashback which by the looks of the queue will never reopen (overgrown shrubbery and weeds). Itake the Orient Express back up the mountain (much easier than walking) to try Ninja which is open this time.

Now I'm hungry so I head to the newer Mexican restaurant for lunch at Los Cuates. I was told it was the better and more authentic of the two Tex/Mex places. With the tacos and drinks priced at $2.99 each, I opt for the combo of two tacos and a drink for $7.99. The tacos are big and excellent. I get one chicken and one beef. They grill both the beef and chicken, yea!

I see Deja Vu is running, so I head there. It's a 10 minute wait for the back row as a single rider. This ride is the second longest wait of the day. And since Psyclone is right next door I head there next.

Before heading back to X, I get quick walk-on rides with Viper and Revolution.

Next I head to X and the line is extended about halfway down the walkway right outside the station. Which doesn't look that bad. It's now 3PM and the park closes at 5:30. Well this line is atrocious. At 3:45 I'm finally about 6 rides from getting on and the einstein's at SFMM finally decide it's a good idea to add a second train. Now I'm not complaining about the second train, just the time that they added it so late in the day when this is the only ride in the park with more than a 15 minute wait. Well it takes about 25 minutes to get the ride running again, but at least the next ride wait is only 20 minutes. Yes it was worth the wait as X is now in my Top 10. They have a sign saying they will close the line for X at 5PM but it is already closed at 4:50 or else I would have ridden it again.

I had planned on finally getting a ride on Colussus but from the X queue (and ride) it still didn't look to be running.

I head to the gift shop and pick up a cool SFMM windbreaker for $19.99. Overallt the park is very well shaded, the food was good, the ride ops were friendlier than I expected (probably because I picked such a beautiful and quiet day). I feel very content until I get back to my car. I'm start it and wait inside for the air conditioning to kick in and to make some phone calls before the drive. However, after about five minutes straight in front of me I see Colossus running. Is it possible they only started running the ride at 5:05.

Ratings
Superman: Ultimate Escape - 7 rating for two rides
GoldRusher - 3 rating for one ride
Riddler's Revenge - 10 rating for two rides on the best stand-up
Batman: The Ride - 9 rating for one ride
Scream - 9 rating for two rides
Goliath - 8 rating for three rides
Ninja - 4 rating for one ride
Deja Vu - 9 rating for one ride
Psyclone - 2 rating for three rides on a real painful woodie
Viper - 5 rating for one ride
Revolution - 5 rating for one ride
X - 10 rating for two rides

--------------------
It's not<
BobFunland

10/8/2004 11:32:59 PM
Well put, and a great trip report. Im glad that you got to experience Magic Mountain, and I agree with most of your ratings (a lot of them were exactly the same as mine or within 1 point).

About the only difference is that I thought that Gold Rusher was a pretty good Mine Train, so I gave it like a 6, and I thought that Ninja was the best Suspended that I had been on, so I too gave it a 6 or 7. Also, I see that you gave BTR a 9. Thats fair, since you have said that you liked BTRs, and in my opinion, the one at MM is better than the one down here.

Again, overall, a very good report, and I too thought the food was a bit better than an average corporate park (well, what I had at least -- the abundance of churros stands was nice)

Once again larry,

--------------------
"Because it's Everything M.I.T. isn't; Better than North Carolina; a Southerner's Dream and a Northerner's Wish; the real Pride of Georgia; North Avenue Trade School; I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Helluva Engineer; UGA's Worst Nightmare, and a Place That Can Get In Your Blood and Stay Forever... Go Jackets!"

Message updated 10/8/2004 11:38:18 PM by BobFunland
Animan1

10/13/2004 1:11:17 PM
You didn't miss a whole lot with Colossus. You liked Scream! better than Goliath? I thought Scream! was pretty lame. I didn't think the floorless part was that big of a deal, and the layout was nothing special, pretty much identical to Medusa east and Kumba, but with a comparibly horrible setting.
Swimace

10/13/2004 10:50:40 PM
A bad setting? Where else can you look for your old parking spot while going through inversions?
larrygator

10/21/2004 11:17:47 PM
Quote:
Animan1 said:
You didn't miss a whole lot with Colossus. You liked Scream! better than Goliath? I thought Scream! was pretty lame. I didn't think the floorless part was that big of a deal, and the layout was nothing special, pretty much identical to Medusa east and Kumba, but with a comparibly horrible setting.

well I love Medusa and Kumba also. It's not the floorless feature that's makes them fun in my opinion; it's the pacing and the combination of elements.
Animan1

10/25/2004 4:24:18 PM
Quote:
larrygator said:
well I love Medusa and Kumba also. It's not the floorless feature that's makes them fun in my opinion; it's the pacing and the combination of elements.

Yeah, the floorless part is hard to notice unless you look right at your feet, and then you're missing the ride itself.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics