Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Trip Report - Kentucky Kingdom 9/5/04
larrygator

9/8/2004 11:00:20 PM
I went into Kentucky Kingdom not expecting much as I have seen it dogged by others on the site. But that's why I went to go to as many parks as possible: to seek out the truth and formulate my own opinions.

I arrived shortly after the park opened and decided to just hit the coasters in order that I passed them with multiple rides on the woodies and the one I really enjoyed.

Greezed Lightning - I simple shuttle coaster with a loop, but I foresaw long lines on this ride if I waited til late in the day

Road Runner Express - a pretty good wild mouse but a fairly long wait considering there were not many people in front of me, but they ran only three cars. This perfectly shows the benefits and drawbacks to Labor Day weekend.

Chang - I rode it twice (back row then front row). Clearly the class ride in the park. This stand-up is slightly behind Mantis as my second favorite (I ride (Riddler's Revenge in three weeks) stand-up. They only had one train running all day but the wait was never more than 20 minutes. I had heard horror stories about the line for T2 so I went there next.

T2 - luckily there are misting fans on the lines otherwise people might be passing out. The thermometer hit 99 degree and the humidity is high. There were only running one train the the ride platform was just a disorganized mass of humanity but i got my ride in the last row. The longest wait of the day at about 45 minutes

Food Alert - I decide to get some food before riding the woodies. I went a a place called Swampwater Jacks, this might be the best themed attraction at any Six Flags park. My combo meal of processed chicken breast, drink and a ton of curly fries was overpriced at $9 but certainly filling.

Twisted Twins - the locals still call it Twisted Sister. they had only the Blue side running. i rode it three times, twice in the baqk row and once in the front row and did not enjoy this coaster with a unique layout

Thunder Run - rode it twice, once in the front and once in the back. Enjoyable but not great.

the heat was starting to bear down so I headed to Theme Park Theater to see Stargate3000 on the ride simulator. Also a very long wait. My assessment - at least it is air conditioned inside.

Now it's time to hit some flats:
Rainbow - fun
Break Dance - always a fun flat ride
Quake - this thing scared the hell out of me because it was so loud.

It was started to get dark so I got two more rides on Chang (back row) and then decided to try Greezed Lightning from the front row.

Overall I did not find SFKK to be a horrible place. The service and operations were far better than SFGAdv and SFA. The flat I rode are good, but I wasn't overly impressed with their coaster line-up.

--------------------
It's not a choice between war and peace. It's a choice between war and something much worse.
coaster05

9/15/2004 8:40:48 PM
i used to think kk was the worst but then i also went to gadv now kk not so bad. the food i had was horrible but i just did cheap things like hamburgers etc. what bugs me is the poor paint and lack of security. there is always some serious hilljack screaming profanities every time im there. its time those people stop ruining the experience for others.
Animan1

9/22/2004 1:43:12 PM
I haven't been to either (KK or GAdv), but it looks like their polar opposites. KK doesn't have the rides, but their quality is better, whereas GAdv has some kick-ass coaster with horrible staff and park atmosphere.

larrygator - I think you'll like RR better than Mantis; I know I did.
larrygator

9/22/2004 10:50:08 PM
Quote:
Animan1 said:
larrygator - I think you'll like RR better than Mantis; I know I did.

I'll know in 7 days
Red Rascal

9/24/2004 9:58:52 AM
Quote:
Animan1 said:
...KK doesn't have the rides, but their quality is better, whereas GAdv has some kick-ass coaster with horrible staff and park atmosphere...

No, no, no. Kentucky Kingdom's coasters are in very bad shape. Chang is rusting horribly, with the majority of the top of the vertical loop being rusted. The ride seems to run two trains always, but use only one, which makes me think that there's something wrong with one of the trains. The blue side of Twisted Twins is in need of retracking. Roller Skater is in desperate need of paint. Most of the rides are in bad shape, like the Vekoma top spin, which I've heard hasn't been running in a long time.

On my visit, many of the attractions were closed, including the shuttle loop. The staff quality is much lower than Great Adventure's. Kentucky Kingdom is in desperate need of repair, their dilapidated main gate says it all.

--------------------
¤ Coaster Count: 103 ¤
coaster05

9/24/2004 10:11:57 AM
comparing the two are like deciding which is better chicken pox or measels since they both make you itch in uncomfortable places.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics