Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Knoebels Trip Report
larrygator

4/25/2004 10:24:00 PM
OK - I woke up early this morning and was prepared to drive 3 hours to SFNE. But this whole Knoebels/Skooters ratings controversy made me get in my car and drive West instead of Northeast. Also the fact that someone posted the Knoebels link and reminded me that is usually pay as you go, but this weekend there was a Pay One Price option.

Well I should have checked the weather as it started raining 1 1/2 hours into my 3 hour drive but there was no turning back. I arrived at the park at parked for free. Free parking, the first plus, but it's still raining and windy. low 50's but felt much colder. Well I go to buy a $20 Pay One Price wristband (which I'm still wearing as I type this) the the lady tells me not only is it only $20 but it is also buy one get one free. Hell I would have dragged someone with me if I had realized it. I guess I should have paid more attention to the website.

Due to the rain and cold all rides were a walk-on today, so I got a ton of rides in.

Park opened at 12 noon and I headed to the Haunted Mansion, but it was the only ride not included with the POP wristband, so I had to pay an extra $1.20. Ride was good but I expected so much more.

Then I went straight for The Phoenix, but it started pouring so I ate chicken nachos for $2.75 right next to The Phoenix. The rain let up a little and I went for the back row, then walked but on for the front. This is now my second favorite woodie. This ride was insane at least 12 seperate spots with airtime. Kept my hands up the whole time and my hands were freezing, they were starting to turn as purple as my wristband.

Then I went on Whirlwind - nice temporary coaster but nothing great.

Next up the famous Flyers - these are everything everyone here has written about them. I rode then 5 straight times. Again steering this ride made my hands go numb.

Went to the men's room and ran my hands under the water and then under the hand dryer for 10 mintues to warm them up. Short walk to Twister. Another great woodie. I rode it 3 times in a row. Back Seat, Front Seat, Back Seat. There were so few people in the park that those were the only seats riders were riding in. My hands are frozen again, I must find a warm ride.

Headed to Skooters, again just like Knoebels enthusiasts say, these are not just bumpers. I rode these things for seven straight rides. Pure fun.

Went over to High Speed Thrill Coaster, this thing looks so weak but is a great ride. Then went on The Whipper.

Decided to head back to The Phoenix, but stopped for an order of pierogies (3 for $1.75) along the way. They were excellent.

Rode The phoenix four more times. Once in front row, once in thrid row, twice in last row.

Then went back to The Flyer and rode 7 more times. I was very light-headed after this last ride. This ride is addictive. All these rides are addictive.

Three more rides on Twister. Once in front row, twice in back row.

Then I went back to Skooters 8 more times, a solid half hour. I went to get two more orders or pierogies and a birch beer before leaving, then had to refrain from ramming my Saturn into every other car that annoyed me on the road (I'm no longer on Skooters).

Thank you Knoebel family for a great trip, I'll be back before the end of the summer

More details of each ride will appear in my ride reviews
Message updated 4/26/2004 2:00:00 PM by larrygator
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
4/26/2004 10:08:00 AM
AWESOME!!! This is a great trip report - I'm glad that you braved the wind and rain (this was, indeed a freaking COLD weekend) to give Knoebels a try. And the thought of riding the Skooters for a solid half-hour is fantastic - but yes, you'd have to control yourself when back on the "real" road. Glad you had a great time - welcome to the devoted league of Knoebels Freaks!!!
larrygator

4/26/2004 1:54:00 PM
I would have loved to ride a couple of other different rides but the main four I targeted Pheonix, Twister, Flyer and Skooters were so much fun. But I'm going back during the summer when my sister, brother in-law and niece camp there and I'll try the Haunted Mansion again to see if I feel differently after riding it with ny niece.

When I'm rich I want to replicate Skooters in my backyard. You're all invited = Adrianha, Cyclonic, Primogen18, Freebird maybe even Chet.

Someone has to bring the birch beer!
Message updated 4/26/2004 3:28:00 PM by larrygator
primogen18

4/26/2004 4:58:00 PM
Quote:
larrygator said:
You're all invited = Adrianha, Cyclonic, Primogen18, Freebird maybe even Chet.

Someone has to bring the birch beer!

Cool! It'll be great! I'll swing by knoebels and grab a few gallons haha!
Nice TR and Im Glad to see you had such a good time, even with the harsh whether!

--------------------
"Knoebels Reopens TOMORROW!!, And We Have All Kinds Of Neat Fun In Store For You Thrill Seekers And Ride Riders!"
Primogen 18's Page
My Message Boards<My New Art Promotional Domain

adriahna

Skooter Junkie
4/26/2004 5:37:00 PM
I can just see us all bringing kegs o' birch beer - hilarious. Tell you what - you replicate the Skooters in your backyard (there have to be some spare Lusse's out there somewhere), and I'll get me a Bisch-Rocco Flying Scooter. Back and forth we'll all go, during the winter months...
primogen18

4/26/2004 7:40:00 PM
haha! Kegs-o-birch beer! nice! And flyers in the winter months? Gotta get some protective gear and Ill be right over! don't wanna be catching any frost bite due to severe turbulence and high winds!
yfz450

4/26/2004 8:42:00 PM
Sounds like fun.... i wish i could go to knoebels
*FreeBird*

4/26/2004 10:58:00 PM
Great Report!!!

Wish the weather would have been better for ya but Knoebels is good any time.

Next time be sure to ride the following

- Antique Cars (great relaxing ride)
- Bumper Boats (fun when warm out)
- Flume (Great log flume with 2 drops)
- Pianeer Train (Great train that goes into the forest, sometimes you can see animals!)
- The Sklooosh (Great water ride)
- Scenic Skyway (Great chairlift that takes you up the mountain)
- There are probably more that I can't think of now.

adriahna

Skooter Junkie
4/27/2004 12:00:00 AM
Quote:
primogen18 said:
haha! Kegs-o-birch beer! nice! And flyers in the winter months? Gotta get some protective gear and Ill be right over! don't wanna be catching any frost bite due to severe turbulence and high winds!

We'll all just wear ponchos - what a bunch of dorks!!!

--------------------
It's not a successful ride on the Flying Scooters unless you've got bruises to tell the story for you.
larrygator

4/27/2004 12:44:00 PM
FYI - There's a Bumper Car floor 50 x 60 being auctioned on eBay, the bid is currently $16,700
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
4/27/2004 2:20:00 PM
How about that! Crazy...you never know what you'll find on ebay...
primogen18

4/27/2004 3:29:00 PM
Quote:
adriahna said:
How about that! Crazy...you never know what you'll find on ebay...

tell me about it haha
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
4/28/2004 4:44:00 PM
Thinking about ride parts and components, I've always wondered how many old rides are currently in storage (ie the Steeplechase horses from Coney Island), and if they'll ever be restored to operation...
primogen18

4/29/2004 5:13:00 PM
Yeah, and coasters too! I think they need to open a HUGE national museum soley dedicated to the amusement buisiness (like the same idea as Knoebels museums), and its proceeds could go for restoration of rides and helping parks in need! I would go there!!!
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics