Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author The Long Overdue Cedar Point 03 TR
PhantomNik

2/5/2004 5:56:00 PM
Well, I finally have the time to write this thing, and it's about time I did! Cedar Point, in my view, is simply the greatest amusement park on the planet. Maybe there is better, but if so I haven't been to it. Everything about this place is so top notch! The queues run smoothly, the staff is friendly, the park is clean, and oh yeah, there's that little collection of a measly 16 roller coasters! Coaster riding paradise, plain and simple!!

I went to the Point in August, on the 10th and 11th (a Sunday/Monday outing). I do recommend Sundays, the park is not near as crowded then, especially later in the day. The weather was probably the best I've ever had for a trip to an amusement park - both days were sunny with a light breeze. Temps ranged, during the day, from about 75-82. Truly can't beat that!

I went to Cedar Point in 2002, my first trip there since 1993 (when I got sick.....d'oh!), and I was hooked! This 2003 trip had one purpose and one purpose only -- ride Top Thrill Dragster!! Actually, it would've been fine if TTD was closed, but the hope was to get on. Arriving on the 10th, TTD was, of course, closed. Even so, the moment we came down the causeway and I saw TTD, I was speechless! The way it towered over everything was just amazing!! To see a coaster standing above Millennium Force is just undescribable!

As it turned out, I got 2 amazing rides on TTD on the 10th, both of which occurred after 6 pm.....go figure! In both instances, I was truly lucky with the line. The first time, I saw it open and send a few trains so I ran as fast as I could go and got to the line at 6 pm. Even with a few minor breakdowns, I was boarding the train at like 6:58 (I remember looking at my watch), which truly shocked me to be going on after a wait of under an hour! This is the first coaster in a LONG time where I was honestly a bit nervous......my heart as I entered the train was racing!! Then the ride itself came and went. I'll leave it to my review of TTD to put words to the actual ride experience itself!! Truly mind-blowing in every aspect. This is the coaster to ride in the country right now, there's no doubt about it. I was actually shaking somewhat afterwards, which gives you an idea as to how increible the adrenaline rush is that you get on this wonderfully fiendish creation! At that point I was content if I didn't ride it again during my trip - I had at least gotten to ride it once. But as luck would have it, I not only got a 2nd ride, but I got a night ride to boot!! WOW!!! Even better at night! And that time I was watching in the stands and they just fixed a breakdown. I also noticed that they had emptied the queue (except for the station) since it was late. I booked it to the entrance and to my glee they had reopened the queue! I walked through the entrance and then all the way to the base of the ramp leading to the station (where the line splits)! I was on in less than 20 minutes. On day 2, TTD was only open for a period of about 2 hours in the early afternoon, and when it was open the line snaked back to the Power Tower area - and that included a full queue area inside the entrance. I felt very fortunate to have gotten my 2 rides in the day before!

Overall, this trip was outstanding! The lines for everything were reasonable for the most part. I do like that you can now get 2 FreeWay stamps each day. I rode all the coasters, and got several rides on some of my favorites. And since this was a trip with family, I got to experience more of the flats that I had missed on my '02 trip. I cannot wait to return again in 2004!! Now, a brief summary of the coasters and my ratings for them.

The Coasters:

Cedar Creek Mine Ride: A rather painful mine coaster, more designed for the younger riders. I'm tall, so these trains are a bit difficult to squeeze into. Does have a decent drop over the creek/lake. (1 Ride) 4/10

Disaster Transport: An extr
Message updated 4/13/2004 1:31:00 PM by PhantomNik
larrygator

2/5/2004 9:36:00 PM
most excellent TR
sfo1

2/6/2004 12:38:00 PM
GREAT TR. Very in-depth.
Danny

2/6/2004 3:09:00 PM
I agree about the Wildcat
Animan1

2/7/2004 8:31:00 PM
I like small rides like that (though I haven't actually been on the Wildcat). They give you a nice break from the bigger rides.

Great TR. It gave good info without being too long. I will get to CP in the next few years, even if I have to ride my bike to get there!
zjohn1988

2/8/2004 1:34:00 PM
Great TR!!
PhantomNik

3/2/2004 3:37:00 PM
Thanks guys! I'm glad that my trip reports can be helpful possibly to some of you. I try to give a brief overview of each coaster along with some general comments on atmosphere, etc.

Another suggestion for anyone going to CP is to stay at the Hotel Breakers in the park. It may be a tad bit more pricy, but it is such a benefit having your hotel room right there. It's actually not that expensive if you can divide the cost between 3 or 4 people. Plus you get early admission to the park to ride TTD and MF! Plus, at the end of the night, like 10 minutes before they close, you can hop into a line. If you're in line, you will ride. I've had at least three 1 AM or later Millennium Force rides!! Then, you can just head right out the gate and you're at your hotel....can't beat that!
larrygator

3/2/2004 6:31:00 PM
yes Hotel Breakers is definitely worth to added sheckel
zjohn1988

3/2/2004 7:51:00 PM
i stayed at Breakers but we were in the old old section and it was really bad. were gonna try to get a room this year in a newer section
PhantomNik

4/13/2004 5:57:00 PM
Quote:
zjohn1988 said:
i stayed at Breakers but we were in the old old section and it was really bad. were gonna try to get a room this year in a newer section

That's kinda funny....I've stayed in the older section of Breakers the past two years and thought it was fine. In fact, I've already got reservations there again for this year! Of course, I could care less about the room....as long as I can plop down, recharge, and be right there the next day to hit all them coasters, then I'm happy as a clam!
sfo1

4/13/2004 6:13:00 PM
Quote:
PhantomNik said:
That's kinda funny....I've stayed in the older section of Breakers the past two years and thought it was fine. In fact, I've already got reservations there again for this year! Of course, I could care less about the room....as long as I can plop down, recharge, and be right there the next day to hit all them coasters, then I'm happy as a clam!

I agree, it's not like you're going to live in the room for the rest of your life.

--------------------
B:KF...A smooth, mean, intensifien' machine.

http://www.geocities.com/rmscentury21/OHthrills.html My site....it's not complete yet, but please feel free to post in the forums.
yfz450

4/26/2004 8:56:00 PM
sounds like fun
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics