Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Loose Bars
jdale

10/21/2007 9:09:45 PM
Just rode the Steel Force, and its lapbar is pretty loose. Anyone else know some rides that have really loose restraints?
I know this is a lame topic, but I just started searching for some more loose bars recently on rides. It seems really cool.

And just for the records, this is my 400th post.
Message updated 10/21/2007 9:15:54 PM by jdale
Horizons12

10/21/2007 9:40:12 PM
Oh man, I remember a coaster with a loose restraint. It was a Looping Star coaster (not a Schwarzkopf) at the Meadowlands Fair maybe 8 or so years ago. It looked like a Pinfari made coaster with a single loop. I remember lowering the harness and it literally could raise about 7 inches from my body and jostle around. I distincly remember rising off the seat, hitting the harness, and then slamming back onto the seat during the loop.

Space Roller harnesses also have this odd lateral movement but I think it's designed that way...I hope it is.
coaster05

10/21/2007 11:30:26 PM
Balder on ERT were the loosest restraints ever since they didn't check them at all.
Jim S.

10/22/2007 6:19:11 PM
Phoenix has single-position lap bars and no seatbelts. It's also probably the most airtime-filled ride you'll find anymore with those conditions. Most of the other trains with the old-style bars have had seatbelts added, and sometimes the ops even tighten up the belts whether there's any significant airtime on the ride or not.

The Lakemont Skyliner has single-position bars with no seatbelts if I remember rightly. It has a few airtime moments, but it's no Phoenix.

Kennywood's Jackrabbit has non-moving bars (they're not really lap bars, more like hand-holds) with seat belts, but it only has one major airtime moment.

Leap-The-Dips has hand-holds and no belts, but no airtime either. (It's still worth riding as the most comfortable seat around, and the oldest remaining coaster in the world.)

RCGenius

10/22/2007 8:23:25 PM
Phoenix's lap bars, by far, gives you the most freedom you could ever have. The bar always stays at the same position & the ride's even better without seatbelts. Phantom's Revenge's restraints, though awkward, gives you a good amount of space inside the trains.
ginzo

10/22/2007 9:04:54 PM
^The old school set up of buzz bars with no center divider or seat belt gave the ultimate in freedom. The Phoenix has center dividers, which makes the turns less fun. Though the Phoenix really isn't known for turns.
Timberman

10/23/2007 12:48:30 AM
I'm pretty sure the Tig'rr Coaster at Indiana Beach (a Schwarwzkopf Jet Star) has no restraints. You're held in place by either grasping the side rails or having someone sit in front of you on the bench seats. It's not exactly an airtime monster, but still...
larrygator

10/23/2007 1:00:09 PM
Blue Streak at Conneaut had just a leather strap and good air on the first hill.
Canobie Coaster

10/24/2007 6:27:30 AM
I definitely agree with the Phoenix because of just the buzzbar and no seatbelt and Twister is also pretty good because like Phoenix it has no seatbelt and just a loose lap bar, which created an insane burst of air-time at the top of the second hill.

Palace Playland's Galaxi has very loose restraints as the lap bar leaves 2 or so feet between my lap and the bar and there's no seatbelt.
Animan1

10/24/2007 9:17:59 AM
Quote:
Timberman said:
I'm pretty sure the Tig'rr Coaster at Indiana Beach (a Schwarwzkopf Jet Star) has no restraints. You're held in place by either grasping the side rails or having someone sit in front of you on the bench seats. It's not exactly an airtime monster, but still...

Yep, that's right. And since I went by myself, I had no one sitting in front of me, so it was a hold-onto-the-handles-or-else situation. Of course, it is not crazy with regard to airtime, as you mentioned, but it is a zipply little coaster nonetheless.

--------------------
"Impossibility is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools."

- Napoleon Bonaparte

Coaster Count: 96
nyeboy9

10/24/2007 10:03:32 PM
I remember pulling down the lap bar on The Beast and it wouldn't lock to the next "click" as I call it. The bar was 6 inches from my body. Needless to say, it was an interesting ride.
Horizons12

10/24/2007 11:08:34 PM
Speaking of woodies with the standard orange lapbars, The Great White at Morey's Piers has that "next click" problem as well. But you have seatbelts so it doesn't really matter.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
10/26/2007 1:01:36 PM
Before they castrated the Beast by putting individual bars in the seats, that coaster offered some wonderful moments of hilarious airtime and sheer terror. Helix tunnel was almost too much.

But yes - anyhow. I'd have to go with the Phoenix, in terms of roomy restraints. If, however, Mt. Olympus ever even remotely considered removing the belt restraint from Cyclops, my god... talk about a death wish in terms of lap space.
coasterf42

10/26/2007 8:12:08 PM
Quote:
coaster05 said:
Balder on ERT were the loosest restraints ever since they didn't check them at all.

Wow, that's crazy. I've always imagined Intamin restraints as being tight, because every Intamin coaster and drop tower I've been on have horrible restraints.

I think freedom is one of my favorite aspects of a good roller coaster. Although it is not really a neccessity, as some coasters will be good despite bad restraints, but having light restraints really make a ride much more enjoyable. It is kind of fun fighting wooden coaster lap bars to stay high every once in a while, but I would much rather have one that just can't go down anymore at all.
-
Hmmmmm, unlike Millenium Flyers.
larrygator

10/30/2007 12:40:57 AM
^Bloody Stupid Ride
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics