Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Maine August 2007 TR
Canobie Coaster

8/31/2007 10:38:14 AM
Sunday, August 26, 2007

York’s Wild Kingdom
Well, my father, mother, sister, and I were traveling up to Maine for a few days for our last amusement park trip of the year. On our way up to Old Orchard, we decided to stop by York’s Wild Kingdom, having not been there in a few years. After a drive of a little over an hour, we arrived at York’s Wild Kingdom at 11:40 to find that the lot was pretty full for the park. We went up to the ticket booth and ordered our tickets. My sister and I got the combo pass while my parents got just the zoo only pass.

First we all did the zoo. It was the same as I remember with some good animals. The zoo however just seemed small. I really enjoyed the lions and white tigers which unlike during my previous visits were up and about. Also, the monkeys were very active also and like always were one of my favorites. They also had a petting zoo and feeding section which I skipped. Also, there are a lot of ducks running around the zoo, which is pretty cool.

Before heading over to the rides section I went on their paddle boats. The Boats had a 5 minute wait. Despite having quite a few boats out in the water, York’s Wild Kingdom probably could have used another one of the boats that was just sitting around to make the line go a bit faster. On these ones you are required to wear a lifejacket. A few years ago the ride’s water was murky, but this year the water was a whole new level of murky. It was completely green and it looked like a vat of toxic waste from comic books (the ride attendant said that the water was green due to algae). Well, the Boats themselves were fun and just as I remember them. You have a time limit of a half hour, but I saw no one take that long. During the shaded ride I came very close to many ducks and swans. The course is very nice and the ride is quite relaxing. My only real complaint was the murky water. 8 out of 10

Before heading out to the amusement park section, my parents and sister wanted to see the Butterfly Kingdom. It was pretty far away from the rest of the zoo. I didn’t like the one I went to at the Franklin Park Zoo a few years ago, so I decided to skip it and instead I looked at the nearby gift shop. The gifts were very cheap, but there was nothing that appealed to me.

Then we went to the amusement park section. First, my sister and I decided to try the Super Slide, which had a 5 minute wait. A few years ago we got horrible rides on this slide as it wasn’t properly waxed and we got stuck a few times on the slide. This time, Super Slide redeemed itself and gave the atypical ride for one of these slides. I raced my sister and just barely won. Overall, a decent slide, but nothing out of the ordinary. 6 out of 10

Afterwards I ran over to Spiral Twirl while it was loading. I got on York’s round-up right away and noticed that they got rid of the few harnesses the ride used to have and instead Spiral Twirl now just has chains as restraints. Spiral Twirl was slower than the other round-ups I have been on, but it had a very good and long cycle which makes up for it. Overall, this easily is one of York’s better flat rides and one of their few thrill rides. 7 out of 10

Then my sister and I decided to try York’s Scrambler. Loading took a long time like usual for a scrambler. A few years ago we got a horrible ride on the Scrambler. The ride kept closing all day due to maintenance trouble, but whatever was plaguing the Scrambler back then has been fixed as the Scrambler gave amazing rides again. The speed was very good, but what I really loved was the cycle. It was exceptionally long (over 5 minutes). Overall, an amazing scrambler that has a very long cycle. 9 out of 10

Up next my sister and I did the first of York’s various fun houses, the Persian Kamel Fun House. A walk-on, the Persian Kamel Fun House had a few good gags. Like always I loved the unique moving staircase
mrceagle

8/31/2007 7:47:53 PM
Not a bad Trip report. i have never been to Aquabogon. Don't think I will any time soon either.
Canobie Coaster

9/2/2007 11:33:11 AM
It's worth a visit on the $10 Monday or Friday. Stealth and Pipeline alone make it worth a visit.
mrceagle

9/2/2007 7:23:48 PM
Ya but how bad are the Crowds on those days. Maybe when they get a couple more attractions to keep lines down I'll spend s weekend in the area

Right now I'll only make day trips and hit a Couple attractions.
Canobie Coaster

9/3/2007 7:42:39 AM
The lines weren't that bad. They looked bad, but weren't very long. Pipeline has three mat slides so the wait generally is no longer than 10 minutes even if it's halfway down the hill. Stealth has no more than a 15-20 minute wait if the line is at the bottom of the stairs. Totally Tubular generally has a 15-20 minute wait even if it's at the bottom of the hill. Turbo Drop generally has a short wait. Also, there only are lines at the beginning of the day and during the last two hours lines are basically non-existent.
mrceagle

9/3/2007 5:11:01 PM
I'll keep that in mind but there are a few NH water parks that are Higher on my list.
Canobie Coaster

9/4/2007 9:06:04 AM
The only two water parks in New Hampshire that I'm interested in are Water Country and Whale's Tail, both of which I have never been to. Both look better than Aquaboggan in my opinion though so I can see your reasoning why to pick them over Aquaboggan. Also, aren't they closer to you than Aquaboggan?
mrceagle

9/4/2007 12:37:17 PM
Water Country is New England's largest water park and only about a hour from me. Aquaboggan is around the same traveling distance as Whales tail. but Since you only need an after noon to hit the handful of attractions. I could spend the morning at Clark's and then hit Whale's Tale.

Though it's small I want to hit Surf Coaster.
Canobie Coaster

9/5/2007 8:08:16 AM
I too was considering going to Surf Coaster USA, but it was a bit too far from me to visit considering the slides they have.
mrceagle

9/5/2007 11:37:34 AM
It's a hour or so from me. So it's not as bad. Probably hit the area for the day and do it in the afternoon at the reduced price.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics