Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author NY and CT Trip Report 8/9/07-8/12/07
Canobie Coaster

8/13/2007 10:48:55 AM
Thursday 8/9/07: Rye Playland
Well, after a long car ride I finally made it to Rye with my family (sister, mom, dad). After checking in at the Courtyard-Rye, I went straight for Rye Playland (5 minutes away). Once I got there, the park didn’t look that crowded, which always is a nice sign at an amusement park. I got there a little before 3:00. After making my way up past the Ye Old Mill and many game booths, I purchased a Fun Band for $40, $5 more than it was last year and they didn’t even add more rides, but they allow you to have 2 extra hours of riding rides (8 hours total).

First I rode Power Surge alone, which was loading just across from the ticket booth. Loading took pretty long for Power Surge this time, as the operators sat around a lot. I rode facing forwards. As for the ride itself, it is very fun and very thrilling. There was a lot of looping and this one had a very long cycle. However, this is easily the worst of the three Power Surges that I have been on because unlike the others, the entire ride’s base doesn’t spin. The spinning causes Power Surges to be that much more out of control and you get more flipping with the spinning. Still, an exceptional flat ride that I wish more parks had. 10 out of 10

Afterwards I rode another Zamperla ride by myself, Super Flight. Super Flight is Rye Playland’s Volare and in my opinion their best roller coaster. The ride was a walk-on and Super Flight loaded exceptionally quickly. As for the restraints, I don’t mind being locked in the cage like other people because it doesn’t hurt at all and I’m not claustrophobic. As for the ride itself, it was very fun thanks to the flying aspect and that it’s very unique for me (my only flying coaster to date). The first drop and following hill (small burst of air-time) and the two heartline rolls are the highlight of the ride for me. I didn’t find Super Flight at all rough. It’s pretty smooth in my opinion. After my first ride, I hopped on Super Flight again with no wait. 8 out of 10

Then I went on the Derby Racer along, which was just about to load. I chose an outside horse. The ride’s loading procedure is quick thanks to no restraints on the ride. Just like last year, Derby Racer gave an amazingly long ride cycle. The ride was very fast and good for a ride of its age. Still, like last year I found the ride to be a bit jerky, but what else do you expect from a ride of its age that goes that fast. During the ride, Playland’s operators jumped on and off the platform like last year and were a pleasure to watch. Overall, a good ride that has served the test of time. 8 out of 10

Afterwards my sister and I went on the Family Flyer. I didn’t get to ride the Family Flyer last year because it was down for maintenance. Like almost every other ride at Playland, the Family Flyer was a walk-on. We rode together in the front row. The ride itself was just decent as it was a standard Zamperla kiddie coaster just like the one I encountered at Dorney Park two years ago. However, I enjoyed this one significantly better because it was a little slower, which made the ride smoother during the helix and final turn. Playland gives two cycles on the Family Flyer, which is nice. After our first ride we went on the Family Flyer again, this time in the second row. I’d say that the Family Flyer is the one of the best kiddie coasters I have been on. 5 out of 10

Then I rode the Sky Skater, Family Flyer’s neighbor. Sky Skater had a one cycle wait and I was first in line for the next ride. After getting cut by two little kids (their mother was behind me and told them to go get the front row) I ended up with the back row instead of the front row. Still, the Sky Skater is a very fun flat ride that I wish more parks had. The cycle was decent and overall it’s an excellent family ride. 7 out of 10

Then I rode the Go Karts with my father. It was a walk-on, as the decent-size
Message updated 8/13/2007 10:59:50 AM by Canobie Coaster
mrceagle

8/13/2007 12:02:01 PM
it sounds like an amazing trip. Glad you have good days at the parks.

The Train From Story land is an interesting read. Maintinance at Story land is not happy about them snagging a train from them and sending the busted one to them to get fixed. SL's guys made it sounds like Kennywood was the devil. I think it's because of the very dramatic change. I hope the waves settle soon because I thing Kennywood can do great things with Story Land.
Canobie Coaster

8/13/2007 4:59:31 PM
I had forgotten that Kennywood owned Story Land until I saw the billboard on Zoomers Gas and Go that said Story Land was a Kennywood owned park. I agree that Kennywood could do wonders with Story Land.
mrceagle

8/13/2007 6:17:57 PM
It has been in my face for a while I have talked to People on both sides at Story land and at LC. The one good thing that has come out of it is there is more interest in Story Land in the Enthusiast community. Not to mention any attention given to Story land can only help The other parks in that area.
Canobie Coaster

8/13/2007 6:46:41 PM
I know that Story Land has some new additions in store thanks to the bumper cars and whip you mentioned that they bought from Whalom, two rides that really would help Story Land.
mrceagle

8/13/2007 7:14:12 PM
They want Bumper cars they don't own any yet. Jerry Brick Said not to expect a ride for 2008. There is allot of Capital improvements that end to be made first. so 2008 will be a Year to improve overall experience.

The Story land Maintenance are afraid that Kennywood may not let then rebuild the whip.
Canobie Coaster

8/13/2007 7:27:00 PM
I hope they allow them to rebuild the whip. That would be a great attraction there and it would be a real shame if they couldn't reopen it. I thought you had mentioned that they had bought bumper cars. You must have previously said that they wanted bumper cars.
mrceagle

8/13/2007 7:33:40 PM
I have a few times mentioned that they want to buy Bumper cars.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics