Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Author Blackpools Infusion
Axman

2/27/2007 5:22:50 PM
Blackpool Pleasure Beach is almost done with Infusion track layout.

At this point, I would like to ask you all, as this a good or bad idea?

On one hand, vekoma SLCs have apparently made great strides over the last two years, with coasters like Kumali, at Flamingo Land. If this coaster gets some star-treatment attention from Vekoma, it could turn into a truly wounderful thrill ride. If it does, then this will be an other noch on Blackpool's collection of wood and steel wonders. Plus, it looks great in its new location, if not just a bit squished.

On the other hand, this coaster was not even the best ride at its previous location(as gathered from my resaerch), and BPB could be trying to pass of this potentialy mediocre coaster as a world-class ride. If the ride bombs, it could mean bad news for BPB, and would mean wastefull squandering of the late log ride.

I really hope that this SLC shapes up, so that BPB can still have a near flawless collection of roller coasters.
Message updated 2/27/2007 5:25:15 PM by Axman
coaster05

2/27/2007 5:59:41 PM
BPB collection is a long way from flawless. Other then the wild mouse I would rank none of their coasters in my top 50. The ride is also going to be heavily themed, though I would guess it is still going to be rather rough. What it does is fill a void for the park and replaces a log flume that has not ran that recently. I see no real negative to this ride addition, and trust me with the amount of people this place brings in they will suffer nothing if it bombs.
Animan1

2/27/2007 6:00:04 PM
...I am ashamed. Not only have I been to BPB already, but I am to return there this year, and I knew nothing of this addition until now. Cast me off as an outsider...I dare say I deserve it.

Now that I got that out of my system, I am excited. Whether or not it turns out to be a "good" SLC or not remains to be seen, of course, but it will be my first SLC regardless, and I am interested to see what it's like, whatever the verdict.
Message updated 2/27/2007 8:17:34 PM by Animan1
coaster05

2/27/2007 6:17:11 PM
SLC's seem to be better overseas as does Vekoma in general, so it will probably be a positive experience.
mrceagle

2/27/2007 6:51:07 PM
I only see one major problem. It's an SLC. if they can keep the roughness down it can be an enjoyable ride. but this is another coaster just like every other SLC coaster. Nothing fantastic, nothing special. I understand England is large but with 2 High rated B&M inverted I don't see this being a long turn ride for them.
coaster05

2/27/2007 7:52:11 PM
I have to say I think you are incorrect on this. Since they have so few inverted this will be quite a big deal. Adding to that the theme of the ride and I believe this will be quite popular. Although the UK has their share of irritational fanboys on the whole they seem to be more accepting of rides that are not the newest thing going.
coasterf42

2/27/2007 10:08:31 PM
I can't believe no one's mentioned that this used to be just a few miles away. That's really the only thing I see as a negative. The locals (at least some of them) will love it no matter what.

I love the location and colors however.

I would agree that Blackpool's collection is far from flawless even though I have never been. Really, Grand National is the only thing that REALLY interests me coaster wise. But of course they have things like the drop tower, Vallhallah, and a unique layout and atmosphere that makes it appealing to all of us Yankees.
Axman

2/27/2007 11:56:45 PM
First of all, I, personaly, am not a yankee. I'm a......whatever you call someone from California.....person.

I'm ashamed to hear that BPB's collection is far from flawless.

Though i've never been outside of the U.S. and Bahamas, I would think, that between The Big One (Tallest in UK, I believe), Big Dipper (World renound classic), Rollerocaster (airtime with no seat belts, classic), Steeplechase (unique and last of its kind, classic) Wild Mouse (last of it's kind, classic), Grand National (one of few mobius racing coasters, classic), and Bobsled (these rides are lots of fun), that Blackpool would have a flawless collection.

For those of you who have been there, do you mind setting me strait? Besides, even if the rides themeselves aren't as good as I had hoped, the park is still, basically a working, functional, amusment park museum.
Message updated 2/27/2007 11:58:54 PM by Axman
larrygator

2/28/2007 12:08:04 AM
Infusion is good for BPB in that it adds inversions to the park. This will be only the second coaster there with inversions. The GP will think it is a good idea. I also wasn't a big fan of the BPB coasters. I loved Steeplechase and the Wild Mouse, the the other "feature" coasters BigMax and Grand National where huge disappointments to me.
Got_it

2/28/2007 12:59:25 AM
Yeah I watched an the POV of most of their coasters and a lot of them did look lack luster, PepsiMax being the biggest let down.
coaster05

2/28/2007 6:18:07 AM
The park itself was awesome and was my third favorite park out of the 17 we visited. Coaster wise it just wasn't there. Pepesi being the biggest disapointment by far. Valahala is awesome and was easily my favorite attraction there.
Axman

2/28/2007 1:57:39 PM
I've watched POVs of Big One. Is it just because there is no airtime? The drop looked amazing, but the rest of the ride did seem to lack luster. Were there any redeeming factors of Big One?

Grand National has a double dip for a first drop, but I'm guessing it doesn't produce much airtime. Do they actually race the trains? IS there airtime?

Big Dipper looks pretty old, and short. Is there airtime/redeeming factors on that one?

Rollercoaster looks like te best coaster in the park. There MUST be airtime on that thing, granted there's no seatbelt.

I'm happy to hear that Wild Mouse and Steeplechase live up to their name. Avalanche, Rev., and Space Invader don't look that special, but still look fun.

Other rides, like Valhalla, Horse Race Carousel, etc. look awsome. What exactly were the best non-coaster rides there?
Got_it

2/28/2007 3:23:33 PM
^ Grand National has to race, it's a Moebius.
coaster05

2/28/2007 6:42:58 PM
Their Dark Rides were very fun and unique. The food in the park sucked pretty bad. Pepsi is like a fast mine train. The other wood coasters were all ok (5-7) ratings but the mouse got the only 9. Their was some air on all three woodens they just didn't excite me.
Animan1

2/28/2007 7:54:22 PM
Quote:
Axman said:
Big Dipper looks pretty old, and short. Is there airtime/redeeming factors on that one?

Rollercoaster looks like te best coaster in the park. There MUST be airtime on that thing, granted there's no seatbelt.

I'm happy to hear that Wild Mouse and Steeplechase live up to their name. Avalanche, Rev., and Space Invader don't look that special, but still look fun.

Other rides, like Valhalla, Horse Race Carousel, etc. look awsome. What exactly were the best non-coaster rides there?

Pepsi Max was closed due to strong winds on my visit, and Grand National was closed due to the fire, so I can't comment on those. However, I found Big Dipper to be superb, with some great air and a fun out-and-back layout. Rollercoaster was great fun to ride without any restraints (although I believe they have since added a seatbelt), and very smooth. Steeplechase and Wild Mouse were both very unique and a lot of fun as well. I thought that Avalanche was good, Revolution and Space Invader 2 were decent.

As for non-coaster rides, the Ice Blast (S&S launch tower) was fun, Valhalla was very good, the Noah's Ark was good (much better than Kennywood's, in my opinion), the Ghost Train was interesting, the Whip was solid, the Dodgems (both of them) were in good shape...basically, the park was just great all-around. A classic feel pervades the park, plus, the free general admission means that, if you were a local, you could come and just pay for one ride, or not even ride anything at all, and just sit and soak up the atmosphere and people-watch.
mrceagle

2/28/2007 10:18:48 PM
Quote:
coaster05 said:
I have to say I think you are incorrect on this. Since they have so few inverted this will be quite a big deal. Adding to that the theme of the ride and I believe this will be quite popular. Although the UK has their share of irritational fanboys on the whole they seem to be more accepting of rides that are not the newest thing going.

Well i hope your right. I would hate to see them waist money on an investment that ultimately fails. I personally like the SLC design it's very exciting. it it was only smoother.

Just with so many of them around I find it hard to get excited when any park gets one now a days.

--------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it until it's done, and don right." Walt Disney
Axman

2/28/2007 11:21:29 PM
I really like Arrow Mine Trains, so Big One is probably right up my alley. I still haven't heard what the drop is like, but it looks cool. The woodies all look fanomanal, especially Rollercoaster. I love that Grand National has to run both sides at the same time. It makes me wish for more moebius coasters. Steeplechase, Wildmouse, and Rollercoaster are my most sought after coasters at BPB, so I'm pleased to hear that the are good. Big Dipper and Big One look good, but from what I've heard, I've ridden better. Irn Bru looks great, because I've always liked the idea of an Arrow coaster with no corkscrew. Avalanch is a good looking example of a boblsed, but may not have too enspired of a layout. I love the looks of Alice in Wonderland, Valhalla, the "In the Dark Tagda" (I can't seem to remeber what it's called), The Flying Machine (it think that's what its called), The Mine ride (I can't remeber that one's name, either, and the Noah's Ark ride. Has anyone ridden Bling?
larrygator

3/1/2007 12:39:51 AM
Valhalla was great.
Noah's Ark was excellent and had many more gags than the one at Kennywood
Bling was a lot of fun, I hid never ridden this type of ride before.
Trauma Towers was a good dark ride.
The haunted swing (which was at the end of a walkthrough was good)

Avalanche was better than average for this type of coaster bad but none of the Bobsleds are great.

Big One just looks so much better than it is. Big Dipper provided some air but I don't remember much air on Rollercoaster. Grand National did not have much air but the racing aspect made the ride so much fun.
Flying Machine was unique but not thrilling, the ride cycle was too long. The "Horse Race Carousel" almost made me cry because the horses don't race anymore.

Scroll to Day 6 for my Blackpool TR

Ice Blast and The Whip were down when I was there.

--------------------
My signature has been hijacked!

Poop happens! That's why man invented toilet paper.
Message updated 3/1/2007 12:43:24 AM by larrygator
Hercules

3/1/2007 10:01:47 AM
That just looks painful!
Axman

3/1/2007 2:39:36 PM
^What does?
primogen18

3/2/2007 12:13:54 AM
Pepsi Max always looked sort of boring to me because of the lack of any steepness on most of the hills, just looks awkward IMO.
Axman

3/2/2007 12:39:21 AM
It does seem out of place, with all of the nostalgic woodies and elegant scenery. Infusion will make it seem less so.
coaster05

3/2/2007 6:48:43 AM
Elegant Scenary? I would not use that word to describe Blackpool. Traditional feel, yes, but elegant scenary, no way.
Axman

3/2/2007 8:28:00 PM
What about the Chinese Garden Maze? Or the courtyard between Avalanch and Irn Bru? Or the lake next to Big Dipper and--oh wait. Yeah......never mind.
coaster05

3/3/2007 8:13:05 AM
^Have you been ther are just seen pictures? I would not come close to putting Blackpool on the list for beautiful parks. I really liked it, but it was not much to look at. It wasn't really dirty or in disrepair, just not much room left for aesthitics(sp).
coasterf42

5/3/2007 5:32:16 AM
Well, it's open now.

I think the light blue water is deffinitely hot, and if you look at a TR from Themeparkreview, you will see fish in the water! Just wish this was a B&M or Intamin and not a relocated SLC still.

Link to TR
Message updated 5/3/2007 5:35:28 AM by coasterf42
coaster05

5/3/2007 6:26:55 AM
Vekoma coasters are way better when they are not in the US so it is probably fine, although I did not get a chance to ride this when it was at Southport.
mrceagle

5/3/2007 11:13:01 PM
I've heard the same thing about Togo!
Got_it

5/4/2007 10:31:28 AM
I wonder why though?
coasterf42

5/5/2007 11:37:40 AM
People say that about everything non-US it seems. Better atmosphere, themeing, maintenance, less breaks.
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Clicky Web Analytics