Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author TR - Myrtle Beach, Ocean City and more
larrygator

8/25/2006 12:37:27 AM
Well I decided to finally drive to Myrtle Beach before the pavilion closes.

Friday, August 18th
I tried to get a couple of credits at Blue Diamond Park as the park opened but they were not running the Zyklon coaster yet because they need five adults to ride and I was the only adult in the park. After waiting around 30 minutes I decided to get back on the road before traffic got too bad around the Wash DC Beltway.

Saturday, August 19th
After getting up in the morning I'm drawn to a furniture warehouse and proceed to buy a table and two bar stools that will accompany me for the next three days.

I arrive at a parking garage across from the Pavilion and pay $5 for all day parking. I decided to buy an all day wristband (about $24) since the flats look good. I took a quick ride on the Mad Mouse and it provided better than expected air. Then I took a ride in both the back and second row of Hurricane. It provides air in both parts of the train but jackhammers miserably especially painful in the back of the train.

I decide to walk the 15 minutes to Family Kingdom. The park is pretty ghetto and I buy about $12 in tickets. I rode Swamp Fox twice, again in the back and the front. Provides pretty good air in the back and a little less in the front. Pretty well maintain with only a little bit jackhammering. I get denied on the Speedy Gonzalez kiddie coaster and decide to use my remaining tickets for a dark shooting ride (Pistol Pete's something or another). I like this ride because the gun worked and if you hit certain targets a secondary target behind it will appear and I end up with 480 points. The only drawback is that the end of the ride is outside and the sun prevents you from knowing your score if you don't check it quickly. There was supposed to be a Wacky Worm there but I didnt see it.

I walk back up to The Pavilion and sample the Haunted Hotel, which was excellent. One of the best around. I ended up riding 3 very good haunted houses on this trip. After a quick ride on the Little Eagle kiddie coaster I take a spin on the Rainbow. The ride cycle is not long but it is intense. The lemonade girl looks lonely so I buy a lemonade which was pretty good. OK, I really bought it because I like fresh made lemonade, not because she looked lonely.

I didn't stay too long because I had a long drive ahead of me. However, I do drive about 17 miles up US-13 to get a quick ride on the Crazy Mouse at Grand Prix Attractions. A dump of a place with a crappy spinning mouse. I thought there was supposed to be a Wacky Worm also but I didn't see it. The rest of the day is spent driving to Norfolk, Virginia.

This trip was as much about taking the scenic route as the parks and I drive over the Cheasapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, one of the world's great engineering marvels.

Sunday, August 20

I arrive at Ocean City, Maryland right after the rides open. I decide to park in the free park and ride and take the $1 bus trip to save on parking. Instead of buying an all day pass I scope out the price of rides and decide to spend only $15 in tickets. That gets me one ride on Tidal Wave (Boomerang), Toboggan (smoother than others) and Wacky Worm coasters along with one flat, Freak Out (an intense KMG Afterburner) and two walkthroughs. Alladin's Castle which is a funhouse with some potential in it's old school stunts and a marvelous Pirates Cove. It was a long walkthrough with some very good gags and the spinning room made me very disoriented. I see DAFE once rated the Pirates Cove in Waldameer pretty highly, but this one blows Waldameer away big time. Lastly I forked over another $3 for the Haunted House which turned out to be another treat. I thought I was finally going to ride a Zipper but was turned away as a single rider.

On a boardwalk, I usually look for the longest food line and get in it, since the locals know what's best. Thrashers Fries had the longest line bu
Message updated 8/25/2006 9:57:22 AM by larrygator
coaster05

8/25/2006 6:08:43 AM
Nice Tr and those are definately some obscure parks. Looking for the "wacky worm" has definately taken you to a new level. Or should I say lowered you.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
8/25/2006 9:27:59 AM
Very cool TR, Larry - I always get a kick out of hearing about Ocean City and Rehoboth... glad you made it out there. The Pirates Cove and Haunted Houses are just too good...
hrrytraver

8/25/2006 9:41:43 AM
bravo lrry!

wonderful to read about your face first dive into mid-atlantic cuisine!
larrygator

8/25/2006 9:56:30 AM
Quote:
coaster05 said:
Nice Tr and those are definately some obscure parks. Looking for the "wacky worm" has definately taken you to a new level. Or should I say lowered you.

Well as you can tell I wasn't looking too hard for the Wacky Worms, I think they are both still listed on rcdb.
coaster05

8/25/2006 10:38:27 AM
Saying you didn't look too hard doesn't make it any better. I am sure you had them on your itenary.

Anyway you can always use my new clone rule, we rode a wacky worm the park you physically visited had a wacky worm, hence you have rode it.
larrygator

8/25/2006 3:06:33 PM
Rich - I must disagree with your comment about not making it any better. If I had researched ahead of time and found out that a Wacky Worm was 4 tickets and explicitly bought 4 tickets for that aforementioned Wacky Worm, then I would be bad.

They were only on my itinerary in the sense that I printed out all the coasters in North Carolina from rcdb.com.

Oh what the hell am I talking about, you caught me!
BobFunland

8/25/2006 3:46:37 PM
Nice tr. Thanks for the ocean city comentary im in bmore now and plan to try to do oc and as much of the jersey shore as i can tomorrow. I rode a wacky worm last night at the md st fair and there are like 4 on tomorrows itinerary btw its against the law to ride wacky worms in sc according to fam kingdom but not at grand prix (theirs is in the kiddie area at the far south end)

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
hrrytraver

8/25/2006 5:18:06 PM
hey, welcome to bmore, bobf. have fun in OC, and watch for bay bridge traffic tomorrow. could be righteously crappy, and the only other choices unfortunately are to drive way the hell over the susquahanna bridge, or to swim across the bay.
RCGenius

8/26/2006 6:42:48 AM
Great TR Larrygator. Sounds like you had a great time at Myrtle Beach & Ocean City. Keep up the good work man .
Hercules

8/30/2006 3:15:36 PM
Quote:
larrygator said:
After getting up in the morning I'm drawn to a furniture warehouse and proceed to buy a table and two bar stools that will accompany me for the next three days.

I'm sorry, I laughed my butt off when I read that for some reason

Awesome report. Not only did I get a good idea of the rides, prices and experience, I got a bunch of food reviews. You never let me down Larry.

Also, how long of a drive is it down to Myrtle Beach from Norfolk? Just wondering since I'll be in the Norfolk area pretty often over the next couple of years. I know that the Pavillion won't be open, but it's worth a visit down there anyway.
Timberman

8/30/2006 6:52:21 PM
This is one of my favorite trip reports ever.
larrygator

8/30/2006 8:47:48 PM
I made it in about 7-8 hours. I was pretty much going 80MPH when on the interstate and I was the slowest car on the road

I didn't even mention all the stops I made at Chic-Fil-A (4 meals) doing the trip

Timberman - thanks for the props
Message updated 8/30/2006 8:48:42 PM by larrygator
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics