Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Knoebels - TR - 8/17/06 + Flying Turns Pics
RCGenius

8/17/2006 8:42:07 PM
Hey ya'll! I just got back from Knoebels & now I've got a very long & extensive TR to read. It starts out with our family leaving for Knoebels at about 10:30 a.m. Unfortunately, we got sidetracked a few times because of our GPS system which told us a series of different directions while at the same time we were using our directions printed off from MapQuest. We ended up arriving at Knoebels at around 12:15 p.m.

After our long & difficult trip to this park, the first ride we went on first was the Twister. The wait was just a walk-on for me, my little sister, & my dad. Obviously, my mom didn't ride it, so she sat out & watched us. Going up that 101'7'' (or 102' lift hill if you want to round it up) was something else. I love the double lift hill configuration & Twister's still the second tallest wooden coaster I've ever been on (the tallest one being Mean Streak). I sat in the fifth car while my dad & my little sister went for the third car. The first drop was great as I've got a healthy dose of airtime going down it. The second drop though's where the headchopper starts & I can never have my arms up all the way since I'm scared about having my hand hit against the wood. The double helix's so intense since it pulls a lot of lateral Gs. The rest of the ride was just as thrilling & I've always loved going through the tunnel since it's so cool (in terms of temperature) inside. Overall, Twister's an amazing woody that jumped back in my Top 10 Favorites again. You definitely don't want to pass up the chance to ride Knoebel's tallest, fastest, & longest coaster.

After my amazing ride on Twister came my most favorite wooden coaster all-time, the Pheonix. Unfortunately, the Pheonix had a one train operation (same as Twister but it was a walk-on). The wait for it came out being about 10-15 minutes which wasn't bad at all since the line started to pour outside the station when I got there. My mom went off riding the Super Round Up while my dad & my little sister caught up later as I've boarded the train. Going through the tunnel in the beginning's great since it hads a nice touch of class since you're in complete darkness. Even though the Pheonix isn't the tallest, fastest, or longest woody around, don't let the statistics disappoint you because going up 78 feet in the air's great & the 72 foot drop's nice & fast despite the ride going only 45 m.p.h. I rode the first car, third row seat since many people say that it's the airtime seat. I definitely had my abundant doses of ejector & floater air going down & coming up over every hill. The speed never lets up making the whole experience completely breath-taking & relentless. To this day, Pheonix's still my favorite woody & it bumps Magnum XL-200 out of the #3 slot which's now its place for a long time.

After my magnificent ride on Pheonix, our family got a little bit hungry, so we stopped off at the International Food Court. Normally, I'd never eat food coming from amusement parks because I detest how they price them, but Knoebel's a huge exception to that factor since everything there's so reasonable & somewhat cheap. I got a Pheonix Burger & added some cheese & bacon to it, some cheese sticks, & a large mix of Sierra Mist & Mountain Dew. The meal was so delicious. Knoebels offers a lot of different foods at that food court alone, but I wasn't all that hungry to try out the international cuisine, but I bet that they're all very tasty. After eating at the food court, my whole family wanted to go on the Antique Cars, so that was our next ride. I drove my dad around while my little sister drove my mom around. Normally I wouldn't ride on these type of rides since I find them somewhat boring, but it wasn't that bad of a ride. I loved going underneath Pheonix's wooden structure & going through the neck of the woods in the back. It really adds that nice touch of scenery & landscaping which further enhanced my driving experience.

After a memorable ride<
Message updated 8/17/2006 8:49:39 PM by RCGenius
primogen18

8/17/2006 9:59:00 PM
Awesome TR, you got that up fast lol, I just saw them put in those bents this morning lol. Sounds like you had a great day though, and those are some cool pics. The 3rd one down is actually pretty interesting in a cool sort of way, haha (how did it get skewed?). Nice TR though, I can't wait to get there this year.

Also, maybe it's just me, but in that first picture, is that the Bumper Cars guy? lol, looks like him with the blue shirt/tan pants.

--------------------

Message updated 8/17/2006 10:00:13 PM by primogen18
hrrytraver

8/20/2006 3:28:53 AM
keep up the good work, rcg.

the thought crossed my mind when i frst saw that third picture down that john fetterman went a bit bonkers and that the workers didn't have the guts to tell the maestro that his blueprints had recently taken a strange turn against isaac newton.
larrygator

8/21/2006 9:16:01 PM
thanks for the photo update
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
8/22/2006 12:54:05 AM
Awesome TR, Genius - the pics of the Turns are amazing. I love how they're starting to layer upon one another - as I said before, like so many graceful snakes...
primogen18

8/29/2006 12:35:47 PM
Not saying this isn't a good photo TR, byt this is like, one of 2 or 3 photo TRs of knoebels this year, what gives? I expected there would be tons with the flying turns and all, of the turns and the park in general. I guess I have to wait til friday to check out some of the other smaller stuff (new bathroom, XD theater, flume geysers, small stuff like that)
Hercules

8/30/2006 3:05:14 PM
Awesome job with the pictures RC. Keep up the good work
RCGenius

8/30/2006 8:37:48 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm just intrigued about how the track work is & how it's being done. It's really going to be a different type of coaster experience I've never seen or had before. I can't wait to see this ride open next year & I'll definitely be going up there to ride it before I go off to college.
Message updated 8/31/2006 8:17:41 PM by RCGenius
primogen18

8/31/2006 10:05:21 AM
One more thing, I love the windsocks at the top of the towers lol, nice little touch of "theming" in there
mrceagle

8/31/2006 3:56:48 PM
Really good TR. The Flying turn coaster looks like it's coming along well. The coaster looks fantastic.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics