Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author The Great Escape - 7/22/06
Hercules

7/25/2006 1:26:42 PM
So on Saturday I decided to take a trip up to The Great Escape in Lake George, NY. I was planning heading there and then leaving to get to Hoffman's Playland for an hour or so, because Hoffman's is right on the way home, about 40 minutes from Lake George. Well, everything went according to plan except for a couple of things: 1. It was absolutely pouring out and 2. Hoffman's was closed because of the rain. The rain caused me to call it a day at The Great Escape after about 4 hours to drive to Latham, home of Hoffman's. I figured it wasn't going to be open but I just had to try anyway. I found the place with absolutely no problem, unlike some I got there and waited about 15 minutes for the sun to come out, or just some other miracle to occur, but sadly it didn't. I didn't really care that much, even though I was really excited about the Skooters. I wasn't that disappointed because I figure I will be back up at The Great Escape this uncoming week because I'm now unemployed until school starts up again (now I can't make fun of taco ) and my girlfriend won't be home for another 2 weeks, so I have to fill up my time. Why not fill it up with parks?

By the way, Larry, would you be up for going this Sunday? Let me know. I'm not sure if I'm going to do this or Hershey/Dutch Wonderland, but just let me know anyway.

Besides, I really liked The Great Escape and I wouldn't mind making frequent trips up there.

Well, here is my day...

I got to the park around 11:30 and paid for the parking even though it was a monsoon out. I went into the park and took a couple of photos of the new lodge.

The Great Escape Lodge

Lukily, my girlfriend's Old Navy hoodie was in the back seat of my car, but it didn't help that much as I just got completely drenched in about 15 minutes of being outside.

From what I saw, the coasters weren't open yet, so I hit up a couple flats, one of them being Blizzard, a pretty good scrambler that was run very well by one of the best park employees I have ever seen. Way to go Todd!

I didn't know that Lake George was actually inside the park!!!

The thing about the park is that it has a pretty confusing layout. There are a bunch of different ways to get everywhere, and unfortunatly I always seemed to take the long ways. Also, everything is very secluded and very hard to find. I eventually found my way be to Comet (going the very long way). It is mediocre, but photographs pretty well, even in the rain.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/herculesrestinpeace/detail?.dir=/9367re2&.dnm=763cre2.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/herculesrestinpeace/detail?.dir=/9367re2&.dnm=79a2re2.jpg&.src=ph

I ended up taking a bunch of pictures of it, but I'm saving the best ones for B. Fun's site I guess you will have to check them out when you get the chance.

Anyway, after a couple of rides on Comet, I got lost in the park, which was a common theme. I ended up going towards the Boomerang because that was the only spot in the park that I was familiar with. It wasn't open and I was a little disappointed, but then I heard the familiar clank that made my ears perk up and my eyes widen and I made a direct U-Turn without looking at the coaster and just going by the sound.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/herculesrestinpeace/detail?.dir=/9367re2&.dnm=53c3re2.jpg&.src=ph

So basically, after that, I walked around and got really wet. I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to ride the Alpine Bobsled because I have this weird fetish for relocated Great Adventure rides, but it was raining and I'm sure they didn't want anyone to die. I'll just have to ride it the next time I head up.

So yeah, I hit up the coasters, got a bite to eat at the Red Garte
mrceagle

8/2/2006 12:03:55 AM
Not a bad trip report. you have some good pics ther. you'll have to drop a reminder and link when the other pics are uploading onto Bobs site.

I also can't stand the layout of the park. there is only 1 circle in the hole park and since it mostly leads nowhere no one uses it. the rest of the park is likely the best collection of dead ends to be found anywhere.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics