Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Getting Rid Of MM...Bad Move?
MovieCoast

6/30/2006 10:34:15 AM
Anyone else think Six Flags selling Magic Mountain is a bad plan? I think so! First and foremost, it's coaster kingdom. Losing the park will certainly make the chain go back on it's reputation of building record-breaking rides, which is going to go to Cedar Fair soon. Secondly, it's a huge park with lots of land and most enthusiasts that I've read reviews of love the park and it's ride. If another chain ruins the park than there are going to be serious problems.

--------------------
"Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?"

Coaster Count: 52
sfo1

6/30/2006 10:47:23 AM
Here's the thing... how could another chain ruin the park any further?

Reasons why they (might) sell MM:

1)Enthusiests only make up like 3% of the total crowd. Unless ACE or CBuzz wants to donate a couple million to fill in the losses, then I'm sorry, people like many on this site who use their season passes to travel across the country, lose all their spare money doing it with hotel and airfare, and only have enough left for admission and food, is not where the "big money" is coming from.

2) Families spend money. Teens, not so much. Sure some teens may, but these are mainly local teens who basically grab enough to get in, get some grub, and cause problems. They are not buying souveniers, memories to take home, and lots of things to make their kiddies happy. Now, when my friends and I are at CP/GL, we are usually pretty well - behaved, but the teens at MM are notoriously many times involved with gangs and such.

3)Too much to spend to become a family park, attract an audience of such, when Knott's, Disney Land, and others with good names are around. Too much competition, and really good competition at that.
primogen18

6/30/2006 11:00:46 AM
"...and most enthusiasts that I've read reviews of love the park and it's ride"

Wow, most reviews I read about MM are horrible. Also as sfo1 pointed out, not everyone is an "enthusiast who cares only about coasters and can make the trip from NY to CA for a day just to grab a ride on Tatsu" in fact, not all enthusiasts can afford something like that. What REALLY matters is the GP and families, they care about overall park experience, which is what from what I hear MM fails on.
If I was in CA for a few days and had a family with a couple kids, chances are SFMM would never even come to mind, theres just so much better, why waste the time? I can see why alot of families especially ones traveling to CA would think that way, it's a no brainer.

Message updated 6/30/2006 11:06:20 AM by primogen18
mrceagle

6/30/2006 1:21:28 PM
I understand there reasoning for considering selling the park. I agree the park dose not fit the family set up the company wants but I don't think that family setup is going to work at a few properties. They don't want to spend the Investment given there debt to Fix this park and transform it into something people are going to want to travel to visit.

If some one actually Buys the property as a park they will need to invest quite a bit.

But some things would be easier to do then others.

Security - Work with the local PD to install a Sub Station at the park like they do at many malls now a day.
Install a surveillance System around the park to allow better coverage of the park.
Radios. Everyone form Security to Grounds people would have a radio. If a cleaner sees problem or something they feel should be watched they can call it in.

As far as the park goes. Some coasters will have to go.
Deja Vu has allot of down time. that maintenance time would be better of spent keeping the park other rides going. So it would be sold.
Same thing for Flashback. If there was a chain involved move it to another park.
Superman the Escape would stay for a while but be on the out list.

As for the ride additions. Flats are badly needed in the park. Family Rides would be the first investments just because of the need to invest but roll money back into paying off the debt form purchase. Eventually Bigger rides will be added. but a more unique ride perhaps a custom dark ride would be the first major additions. Thrill flats would also be added but at a 4-1 ratio with family rides for at least a little while.

The park will need to be cleaned up and the entertainment will need to be expanded. You may not be able to take family's form Disney and Knotts but you can get them to stop buy once or twice.

As for advertising perhaps a broad ranged slogan. "glow with us" Express the varied rides from Kiddie rides, to family rides, all the way up to mega coasters like Tutsu.

But that's allot of money to invest on top of likely a 300 + million debt do to purchasing the park.
coasterwom

7/9/2006 5:17:29 PM
I hate to see MM sold or closed but Six Flags is in alot of debt and land on the West coast is very valuable. I feel this park should be saved at all means and get rid of the international parks. Enthusiats spend money at parks and they talk about the parks they have visited and they advertise to get people to the parks. The public needs a variety of parks to choose from not just family oriented parks. If you have children who are preteen /teen years they want thrills not just shows. I feel Six Flags should reconsider selling MM and Darien Lake and I would like to see another chain buy them except CF.
mrceagle

7/9/2006 10:51:10 PM
SFI hasn't set anything is stone yet. they are only considering it. So lets not worry to they say they are actually selling it.
coasterwom

7/12/2006 11:19:51 PM
Check out Investors the news story is on the web site.
nyeboy9

7/18/2006 2:46:20 PM
LOOK at what the city is trying to do to save MM.
Message updated 7/18/2006 2:46:38 PM by nyeboy9
mrceagle

7/18/2006 4:17:44 PM
Quote:
nyeboy9 said:
LOOK at what the city is trying to do to save MM.

Excellent find really good story. I'm glad to see the city is behind the park. that will reflect well in the long run. The deals they are offering can save them allot of money in turn giving them more revenue towards there debt.

not to mention what the park really needs is flat rides. even if they add 3-4 at a time that's only 1.8 - 8 million in additions.

--------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it untile it's done, and don right." Walt Disney
nyeboy9

7/18/2006 5:26:15 PM
People are making petitions and what not, but that can't get the park money. what the city is doing is actually helping to save money for the park.
BobFunland

7/18/2006 5:26:29 PM
pavesfmm.com
nyeboy9

7/18/2006 8:48:54 PM

That's hillarious! I really needed to know what bobo the clown's opinion was. I like their "online petitions always work" at the end.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics