Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Part 2, Family Kingdom and the Rest
Cyclonic

5/27/2006 2:59:21 PM
Family Kingdom
May 20, 2006

So, I was going to just walk down Broadway to get to Family Kingdom, but my good sense got the better of me and I decided that if I wanted to keep my hearing I would instead head down to the beach and make the walk down.

Now, here is where I don’t really care for Myrtle Beach. I figured, being down to the Jersey Shore many times in my life, that there would be a boardwalk or at least some sort of walkway along the beach. Well, there isn’t, it is just sand and surf. No matter, I had my sandals on, so the sand did not bother me any, and it was a nice enough walk. By this point it was really starting to get dreary and some fog had rolled in off to the distance.

Family Kingdom was easy to find, as their water park is right on the beach.

I headed back inland and across the street to the park where I got a wrist band and headed over to the Swamp Fox.

Interestingly (or maybe not), Swamp Fox is the third new to me John Allen coaster I have been on this year. I found it to be a fun ride, typical John Allen, not overly aggressive, some nice spots of airtime, no laterals to speak of, and this was before the rain.

I walked around the rest of the park checking out the different flats. They have nice selection, all run fairly well, and all kept well:

The dark ride was an interactive ride, and was pretty well done, but on par with others like it.

By the time I had gotten over to the carousel it had started to rain. I had been wet once this day, so I hung out under the carousel as the thunderstorm rolled through. This gave me time to get some nice photos of this well kept, all horse machine.

After about ten minutes the ran let up and the park started to come back to life. Swamp Fox was not yet running, but I sample the rest of the rides, and once done, I hopped back on the Fox.

OMG, what a difference a little rain makes. This coaster took on a how new life with the rain. I was fast, with airtime on every hill. The back seat was giving an incredibly wild ride, throwing you over the hills, especially the second drop. The coaster even showed some life in the turn, screaming around them, and just barely skidding to a halt when it got to the station. These were definitely better rides then earlier in the day, and I got plenty of them. It was a pure joy to ride, and I’m glad this coaster is staying put.

So, I left Family Kingdom very content and headed back up to the Pavilion to get a few things I had missed, like the Haunted Hotel.

I liked this darkride. It was well done, the stunts all seemed to work, and I liked the theme. Some of the scenes were downright creepy.

When I came out of the Haunted Hotel, I came into a downpour. The skies had opened up, and the park had announced that it would be closing for the evening due to the rain
Danny

5/27/2006 7:34:08 PM
Again, nice TR and great pictures. It certainly is a shame that the Pavilion is closing, but luckily I'll get to make one more trip down there this summer.
hrrytraver

6/20/2006 6:57:19 PM
dag, i missed opening these trip reports because i was out of the country. cyclonic, both of installments of your myrtle beach and of course south of the border trip were enjoyable reading and viewing.

^btw the last picture up there of the mad mouse is a little creepy, like a ufo landed behind it or something.

awesome!

--------------------
"I note your distress at my floccinaucinihilipilification of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty." jesse helms 1999
Message updated 6/20/2006 6:59:00 PM by hrrytraver
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics