Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Holiday World - 5/15/06
BobFunland

5/18/2006 2:20:24 AM
"A Legendary Voyage?"

Day: May 15, 2006 (1)
Park: Holiday World (Santa Claus, IN)

Originally set to visit Holiday World on opening day this year, some plans fell through and I had to be content with the first operating weekday. I was there for three reasons, perhaps most importantly being the Voyage. so I joined up with some friends and we hit the park at opening, heading immediately to the new Thanksgiving section to test out their newest ride, Voyage, the 2nd design from the Gravity Group after last year's hit, Hades.

Riding in the front, the first ride was a let down. Very little good air for a coaster that supposedly has more airtime on the charts than any other coaster in the world. Take it for what it's worth, but I can think of probably close to 20 coasters with better airtime than the Voyage. It was still very aggressive and fairly out-of-control, both of which I liked, but neither of which could completely make up for the lack of airtime. It wasn't bad in any way, it was just a little disappointing, that's all. Most hailed it as the new king of the coaster universe, where I barely found a spot for it in my top 10. Now for a couple of pics:

The 2nd and 3rd trains on the transfer tracks. With 1 train operations, the lines move painfully slow with a 3:00 ride.

Coming out of the last tunnel, it still was steaming along quickly

Diving down into the second tunnel on the way "out", you can see where they still had work to do. Big thanks to the Alveys and of course Paula for getting me back where few get a chance to make it.

Diving into the abyss that is tunnel #1

The 90* banked turn that hurt the ride's pacing far too much, at least IMO

Anywho, after that, we went to ride the park's other woodies. First up was Legend, a highly regarded coaster and for what reason, I don't know. I only got two good moments of air (if there were any others anyways) and the first of which is the first drop. The rest of the ride consisted of a kinda dul layout with a nice encapsuled helix but nothing much to write home about. Oh well.

Sadly, another one of those rides that is "over" far too soon.

Of course the Raven was next, and it did not disappoint AT ALL. In fact, it was more than I expected from a short (in two meanings) woodie that is now 11 years old and from a company which has many other designs that are falling apart. This, however, was well-maintained and it provided two superb moments of air (first drop and *the* hill) and a third really good pop off the second hill. Lots of little stuff elsewhere and anice, screaming layout through the woods and over the lake. Very cool ride, it comes in at #6 for me overall.

I really liked the clean look of the stations, except for maybe Voyage which was a bit too plain

My camera had a very low battery on Monday and I tried to save up my power for the walk-backs we did. So, without pictures, I will share what else w
Message updated 5/11/2012 12:17:45 AM by BobFunland
hrrytraver

5/18/2006 8:56:25 AM
provocative report, bobf. between a few internet boards, you are the first mutiny i came across.

everyone has an opinion, of course, but i've found that coaster guys are a reactionary bunch. example: early reports back from kingda ka such as "it's not that thrilling" and so forth. i've never been on it, and i can't say that criticisms of the layout, duration and larger metaphor in terms of coaster arms race aren't valid. but "not thrilling" certainly seems like someone grinding an axe than actually criticizing the ride.

it is possible i will go myself tomorrow to HW, and should settle it in my mind, as it should. but i couldn't help but ask you directly...were you fully open to legend and voyage, or did you have an axe to grind?
RCGenius

5/18/2006 2:19:46 PM
Extraordinary review BobFunLand. I'm sorry about your review of your Voyage experience. It looks like an airtime monster to me, but I guess sometimes a person might have a completely different opinion about what's supposed to be one of the best woodies ever. I sware that before I die, I'll make a trip out to Holiday World & ride Voyage, Legend, & Raven. Hopefully, it'll be when I'm in college.
BobFunland

5/18/2006 2:41:30 PM
Quote:
hrrytraver said:
provocative report, bobf. between a few internet boards, you are the first mutiny i came across.

I know, I've read several "its far beyond my number #1 coaster now" reports that just add to the anticipation and subsequent risk of anticipointment.

Quote:
it is possible i will go myself tomorrow to HW, and should settle it in my mind, as it should. but i couldn't help but ask you directly...were you fully open to legend and voyage, or did you have an axe to grind?

I feel I really was very open to both! I don't see where the love for Legend comes from with its weak airtime (at least compared to the other two woodies in the park) and a helix-centered ride which just isn't what I lust for. Still probably a 7/10.

As for Voyage, I REALLY liked it. I mean I thought it was awesome on Monday, but when thinking about how it compares to others (re "no, I still like Thunderhead better... and Boulder Dash.. and Phoenix... and maybe even Rampage.. and Raven across the park") and then to go and ride Viper the next day (awesome Cy-clone, probably the best out there IMO) and then Cornball on Wednesday (insane air, quirky layout, just awesome) it was just shocking to see ride with such hype fall to #8 out of ~50 woodies. Though it looks bad on paper, that doesn't mean that the ride didn't kick butt and fall just short of a 10 in my mind. But at the same time, its not the "11" that many make it out to be. No beef from me

Yea RCG, it's just a "different strokes" sort of deal. I was kind of hoping for it to be a great blend of the best of CCI (ie Rampage's air, Boulder Dash's air-filled yet still wild twister part) and neither part lived up in my mind. Still, to be up there with those woodies and ahead of greats like GA Cyclone and Thunder Run is saying a lot.

I say get out there quick, it could easily have torn itself apart by next season if they don't take care of it extremely well.
hrrytraver

5/18/2006 4:19:40 PM
cool bobf. you catch my drift, i think, regarding the inevitable "backlash" trough that always follows a big wave of hype.

my understanding is that the airtime on voyage is floater type. my perfect airtime model is the CI cyclone, because it is violent ejector on pretty much every hill.
Message updated 5/18/2006 4:21:09 PM by hrrytraver
Hercules

5/18/2006 4:50:05 PM
I don't think I have ever seen so many great thoughts about a subject on this site before. hrrytraver and Timberman are really showing what they are made of and I enjoy reading everything that you guys are saying.

Oh yeah... your stuff is good too B. Fun

I'm more hyped about El Toro. Sure, it is a lot closer to me and at a park that I have visited a whole lot over the past couple of years, but it has that "bad ass" kind of feel to it where The Voyage is just a little too "clean cut" for me. It still looks really good, but The Bull is the place to be when it opens.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics