Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Canobie Lake Opening day Trip Report 2006
mrceagle

4/23/2006 7:49:34 PM
We got on our way at 9:30. We had a few things to do in Salem before going to the park so we despite our early departure got didn’t get to the park till 11:10. We got our Good any day tickets. I bought 6 tickets at $19.00 to get me through the year. That will give me one trip each month and two extra to play with. So we entered and maid our way to Cannonball.

The Cannonball was having some problems right of the bat. Ben and James were at the ride and so was one other poster from the Canobie fan site. Opening day at Canobie often feels like a reunion. Well it seems the restraints were stuck shut after the first run with passengers. My Group opted to leave and hit something else. From what I hear the coaster was up within 10 minutes. No other problems accrued during the day for this coaster.

As far as Brake downs went. There was a slight delay on star blaster up in about 5 minutes. A mechanic adjusted something at the top of the ride and it was fine all day and skater was down most of the day but ran in the morning and for the last few hours of the day.

He hit DaVinci’s Dream and Psychodrome. It was early and the line was short. Psychodrome was enjoyable, still running fast but with no smock or strobe lights. The smoke was excusable do to the smock but please get those Strobes running again. We hit Mine of Lost Souls. It looks like they fixed a few Effects but there are still a few not operating. We then hoped on the Flume while lines were short. Always a good ride! We maid our way to the Whip Out and got on the next run. Always fun but this intense setting can be a bit hard on the back. As we left the ride we Saw Anthony Berney and went over to talk to him

It’s always great seeing him since he’s one of the park owners actually out and taking interest in his park but he’s also willing to give info were info is available. He confirmed that the park did indeed but a Huss Frisbee. The ride is a Portable model and will be set up on the site of the old Galaxy coaster ware the Skater sits now. The ride will be opening late July early August. The ride is being refurbed and rethemed to match the 50’s/ art deco theme of the area. The Skater will be moved to the location of the Paratrooper ride and the paratrooper will be removed and put up for sale. It can be yours for 24,000. He also cleared up rumors of a water park expansion and any chance of a steel coaster any time in the near future. With no time frame set they would add another wood coaster before a steel coaster.

By this time it was 12:00 and the park was actually busy. Lines for the rides became one to two circuits and cannonball was 20-30 minutes. We ran into a guy we knew from ACE and later ran into another person we know from ACE. Well our original Group of 3 was now a group of 5.

We hit Cannonball and I got a front seat ride. The back reprofiled corner of the ride is now painted and you would never know it was changed. The coaster was reasonable fast given the cold weather and the

Through the day we hit the rides. We skipped the wetter water rides like Timber splash and Boston Tea party. They were both open but I don’t know why. The Timber Splash employees were asking people to ride why they bother keeping this ride I have no idea.

We maid another loop around the park mostly talking to and I took allot of Pictures and video of the park. we hit Cannonball again, Star Blaster and Paratroopers. With the knowledge of paratroopers soon removal we made sure to ride it. We hit caterpillar with is always a fun ride.

We had hit many of the rides in the park. We started Splitting up and hitting more attractions. Eventually we were back to 3, and we maid out way to the main midway to hit the rides in that area. Matterhorn was running really slow. I hope they don’t plan on running it like this for now on. It was so boring, the cars barley swung, not a great ride.

We maid our way into what is now sort of a 50’s Art deco themed area. The Tilt-A-
mrceagle

4/30/2006 10:38:57 PM
Here are the pics I too openign day.

[URL=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mrc_eagle/album?.dir=4cdare2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos]Link to photos[/URL]
coaster05

4/30/2006 10:48:01 PM
That paratrooper removal is just baffling to me. It seems like tehy had the room to keep it and add a new ride. The potential news of a wood coaster is exciting, as I personally don't believe that park has a steel feel to it (I will obviously concede the fact that you kow WAY more than me about Canobie) but to me the traditional feel seems to be the way to go. Add to that the sucess some parks are having with smaller wood coasters and that seems like agreat idea. Glad you enjoyed your opening day and I love to hear about the cannonball as that is one of my all time surprise coasters.
mrceagle

5/1/2006 10:54:39 AM
Thanks for the response. I hate not seeing any posts after my Trip reports. I haven’t a clue if any one is reading them. The paratrooper thing has caused an uproar on the Canobiefan web site. No one is happy about it. The only reason they still have the skater is because Zamperla gave then a fantastic deal since they didn’t want to come pick it up.

I agree about the classic park feel and look. I would like to see a couple smaller steel coaster. Something like a mine train to replace the waist of space Timber splash and something smaller like a custom Miller of Guestler. It will be surprising to see how tall the coaster ends up. I have heard that the park has received permission to build as tall as 120’ but that they may pull it down to even with the tree line. That’s still around 95-105 ft. Though I would imagine that were looking at 2009or 2010 for a new major coaster. With that new entrance 2007 is out and I think they might Work on some other capacity things like walkways and the parking lot before adding coaster.
coaster05

5/1/2006 11:08:36 AM
A coaster similare to Avalanche at Timber Falls would be perfect. Maybe they will hold on to the paratrooper if enough people express concern.
ibluv

5/1/2006 4:06:33 PM
I know you explained it in another thread awhile back but why does Canobie need special permission to build tall attractions?
mrceagle

6/5/2006 5:10:11 PM
Coaster - most recent word is that the paratrooper is already taken down and the Skater moved. Not the best news. I don't mind the skater but it's nothing memorable.

Ibluv - The city had an 80 ft height restriction on Steeples and rides. Buildings aren't allowed above 40 ft. So canobie needed special permission to build the center of there new entrance 46ft. But I just found out that there is a loop hole that makes it easier to build taller but they still need to go through the city.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics