Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Great Escape
MartyMoose

4/1/2006 2:07:30 PM
I'm considering taking the family on a trip to Six Flags Great Escape this summer. I know absolutely nothing about the park. What rides are can't misses? What should I avoid? Is the park worth the approximate three-hour drive I'd be making?

Also --- I just recently discovered this site, and absolutely love it. I'm a huge amusement park fan, although I've really only visited a few parks. I'm a resident of Northeasern PA, and have been going to Knoebels since I was about seven years-old. (Let's just say I'm thirty-something now.) Like many of you whose posts I've been reading, I consider Knoebels to be the greatest park going, and I hope to be contibuting a few reviews and trip reports of my own over the next few months.

Anyway, thanks for any advice you can give me about Great Escape, and I look forward to adding my own two cents to this forum.
mrceagle

4/2/2006 5:54:40 PM
I have been going to the Great Escape for a few years now. I actually took the longer trip to TGE more times last year then trips to SFNE. It’s not a mega park. But it has some charm. As far as can’t miss rides, there aren’t many. The Comet wood coaster is a fantastic coaster and the best one they have. If you’re lucky you will get a ride on the Alpine Bobsled another good coaster. They have Nightmare a fun indoor coaster, but hit it early lines can get long. Outside of these there are no coasters to talk about a few clones and just bad coasters.

The park has a standard collection of flats. Mostly family rides the park has really only 2 thrill rides. The park dose have 2 really enjoyable water rides. There flume has these dark rides sections with characters running a mill. There raft ride is allot of fun and deceivingly long.

I travel 3 hours for the park and if you have a SFI season pass its included. If your going for the weekend and have younger kids you may also want to check out Magic Forest Park. A small family park just down the street.

Welcome to the site and Feel free to ask all the questions you like.
coaster05

4/2/2006 7:09:02 PM
Wow MRC that is an amazing post. Thanks.
MartyMoose

4/2/2006 7:50:47 PM
Thanks very much for the info. It will certainly help in making any decisions!
mrceagle

4/3/2006 4:40:00 PM
Glad to help.
Animan1

4/4/2006 4:47:38 PM
Quote:
coaster05 said:
Wow MRC that is an amazing post. Thanks.

I was thinking the same thing. Nice job, mrc.

And welcome to the site, Marty, nice to have you.
larrygator

4/4/2006 8:12:19 PM
how old are the kids? One very unique ride is a horse drawn ride where Cinderella places your family into a pumpkin shaped coach that goes in an oval around a dirt track. The horses look like the are a step away from the glue factory but kids under five love it. I persoanlly like their Rainbow but think the Condor is run poorly. I don't have as much fondness for Nightmare at Crackaxle Canyon as mrceagle, but there is really not that many great rides. Food is the park is poor even by Six Flags standards, although that may change this year. The water park that is including in your admission price draws a lot of visitors and is worth half the day if the kids enjoy that type of stuff.
mrceagle

4/5/2006 10:25:01 PM
I’m not trying to imply that Nightmare is a top notch coaster. But I do find it fun and worth a ride. But given its competition it’s one of the parks better coasters. SD is an Ok Loop Corkscrew but not great. Canyon Blaster is a joke. Boomerang is well a Boomerang. They run there’s a bit better then some parks but its nothing unique. Roadrunner is a pore excuse even for a kiddie coaster.

I agree rainbow is fun especially on its newer program. Condor I have to completely agree with. This new program makes no sense. I though the ride broke down last time I rode it. It was merely part of a very boring program.

I think the park has allot of charm. I personally enjoy the walkthroughs. I haven’t been able to check out the rehab of the Jungle walk but the cool bouncing bridges are still there. I think the park could have a great future if SFI would just invest a little money directly into the park.
coasterwom

4/19/2006 3:54:20 AM
I was considering going to Six Flags Great Escape, Six Flags La Ronde, and Six Flags New England this summer. Are the parks coasters worthwhile and how far are they from Ohio? How many days are required at each park? This would be a total of 23 coasters on one trip that I could add to my coaster count. What's your thoughts of the coasters at each park? Which ones are in danger of closing soon?
Message updated 4/19/2006 3:55:34 AM by coasterwom
mrceagle

4/19/2006 9:51:46 AM
I don't know much about La Ronda(not a flaged Park) but they added Goliath this year to it's coaster solection so that's a pluse and they have a batman Clone not an SLC which in my mind is a big pluse. Monster wood coaster is Ok to good from what I have heard. But there new themed family area looks great. La Ronda from looks Seems like amix between a traditional park and a theme park. (I would assume a 1 day visit is enough)

TGE - Also an unflaged park. The park is nice very traditional and not really themed. they have some good flats and 1 notible coaster. Comet is worth the visit. They aslo have a bobsled that works speraticly but is worth a ride if it's runing. other then that they have a colection of Clones and an boring Mine train. but The park is one that suprisingly makes you love it. Good employees well before SFI opted to make that important. (one day trip)

SFNE - Teh bigist park of the 3. a few really good thrillrides. but there flats are nothign worth talking about. Most are very slow or run incorectly. There coaster solection it top notch. Superman and batman are the top coaster. Pandemonium is great but use the single rider line to avaid a long wait. Cyclone has ben reprofiled completly so I can't judge it. Thunderbolt, Izy, and Great chase are fun. they have a couple of vekoma clones. ( can do in a day, avoid Holiday or event day you'll be fine)

As far as travil time I'm not sure. I would guess you could get to La Ronda ina day, long day, but a day. La ronda is only a few hours from TGE so you coudl posibly leave early and go to TGE the same day. Stay at the Hotel Next to TGE not the SFlodge. it will save you a bundle. From TGE top SFNE it's about 3-4 hours I would guess. so again is you wanted to and coudl handle it go on the same day. You'll have to stay at a Hotel in Springfield there arn't any in Agwam.

From SFNE to Home it's a long hall so you may want to use 2 days.
coasterwom

4/20/2006 3:11:10 AM
Thanks for your help I was considering going in July possibly for 5 days and give 2 days for driving there and back. I hope to spend 2 days at SFNE, 1 day @ SFGE, and 2 days at SF La Ronde. Hope to see them all and enjoy the water attractions also. Are these parks in danger of closing soon?
mrceagle

4/20/2006 11:46:03 AM
La Ronda is the Mantria Fair grounds and SFI might give up there lease like they have with others.

TGE may ge tflaged and with rummers on the two Astro land ride along with 4-8 flats beign added next year. I don't think its closing.

SFNE is a masive park. I don't see them selling it bt I do se them backing off on it. they have invested more money in SFNE then SFDL and TGE combined.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics