Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Walt Disney World Resort, Jan. 1-2, 2006
Swimace

1/7/2006 6:27:44 PM
Walt Disney World Resort- January 1st and 2nd, 2006

Once Upon a Time…..
(lol, couldn’t resist)

I haven’t been to Disney World in the longest time. My most recent visit to one of the parks was four years ago, when I took a school field trip to the Magic Kingdom. My last visit to EPCOT and Animal Kingdom was new years of 2001, five years ago to the day. I’m not quit sure when my last trip to MGM was, all I remember is that Tower of Terror was under construction, which should tell you a lot. Needless to say, I was long overdue for another visit to the parks. Since I had last been, Disney had opened Soarin’ Mission: Space, Tower of Terror, Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, and Stitch’s Great Escape.

So here’s the plan- We were going to drive down to Orlando on the 1st of January and check into our resort. We stayed at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort, which is one of Disney’s “moderate” resorts. Our hotel was very nice, and I’ll tell you more about that later. After checking in we were going to Magic Kingdom for most of the day, and then end the day in EPCOT. Our plan for the next day was for me to go to MGM in the morning and then meet my family back at EPCOT that afternoon, since the rest of my family isn’t big on thrill rides. We got a three day Park Hopper Ticket; we’re saving the third day on the ticket for when a certain roller coaster opens at Animal Kingdom later this year.

So there’s my basic outline, now onto the report:

We left home at about 7:00 and were at Walt Disney World by about 9:00. We checked into our hotel by about 9:45 (driving to hotel, waiting in line to check in, etc.). After putting our stuff in our room, which was in the Jamaica area of the hotel, we went to our “country’s” bus stop and were immediately greeted by a bus bound for the Magic Kingdom. We got to the gates of the park by about 10:30 (we spent a little time unpacking after checking in).

The Magic Kingdom was sadly the worst part of our trip; Disney had really let the place go. Upon entering the park we took a right-hand turn to Tomorrowland, which was the worst part of the worst park we visited. Well, at least we’ll get all of the bad stuff out of the way. The first thing we rode was the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. This ride used to be really nice, and thanks to its ultra high capacity it never has a line. This ride was gross. For those of you who are not familiar with this ride, it’s a ride that runs around a track over the Tomorrowland midways, inside different Tomorrowland attractions, and through a couple of show scenes. The ride is narrated, and is a great way to get info on how Tomorrowland has developed over the years. When we pulled into the show scene where Walt Disney’s “world of tomorrow” concept model was set up, we just zoomed right past without any explanation of what it was. I guess they removed that scene to shorten the ride or something, so now you just go through a random tunnel with a random model. To make matters worse, there was smoothie smeared over the glass that covers the model. Quite frankly, it was gross. So then we went into Space Mountain, which was normal. After Space Mountain we went through the Buzz Lightyear ride, where the glass that separates you from the ride was covered with what looked to be dried vomit. May I emphasize that it was dry, meaning it had been there for a while, which is exactly how the smoothie looked.

We got off of the ride like “ok, wtf?”. Disney, I am very disappointed with you. After that we went and rode Stitch Encounter. Nuff said. If you want to know how great that ride is just check the reviews on this site. Bottom line- it was a cheap way to introduce a character into the park, very little thought went into developing a unique experience or even a story line. You can see my Review if you want more detail about this attraction which you shouldn't waste yo
mrceagle

1/9/2006 2:39:12 AM
Fantastic Trip report.allot of good info and it sounds like you had a good time.

Sorry to hear aobut MK. I have been to disney 4 times and my parents went for a 5 time in late 2003. We never say anythgn like what you saw. I guess thats what you get for cutign back on extra employees. Damn you Eisner!!

So you went into MGM for one ride and did nothign else?

As far as stayign My family is into camoing Fort Wilderness. by the Wilderness lodge and the old River Country water park. is verry resanable and we tend to stay for a week and a half to 2 weeks.
Swimace

1/9/2006 7:23:44 AM
I went to MGM for ToT and RRC, but ended up riding the Great Movie Ride also. I wanted to spend more time there, but the rest of my family wasn't interested in the park and I wasnted to make sure I could get a ride on Mission: Space
mrceagle

1/9/2006 12:42:59 PM
Too bad. Star tours, Mupets, and Indy stunt show are all worth while attractions. I hear the Light, moter, action stunt show is prity good as well.
Swimace

1/9/2006 3:07:30 PM
I've done all of those except for Lights, Motors, Action!. I really wanted to see it, but I had to be done with EPCOT by 3:00 and riding Mission: Space was more imprtant to me than seeing the stunt show. Hopefully when I go back for Everest, I can go AK in the morning, EPCOT in the afternoon, and MGM at night, because I really want to see Fantasmic.
mrceagle

1/10/2006 3:04:16 AM
On my last trip AK was much better on lines in the afternoone. but, whatever works for you.
Animan1

1/10/2006 11:49:37 AM
Cool TR. I don't plan on going to Disney anytime soon, but I'm sure it's a cool place, especially if you went there as a kid and have a lot of memories (that's how Universal is for me, but it still appeals since it targets an older cross-section of people). One question - no Star Tours?
Swimace

1/10/2006 7:50:36 PM
No, Star Tours is kinda outdated. It's nothing compared to newer motion simulators.
mrceagle

1/11/2006 2:34:28 AM
Idon't really care how dated it is. I don't want to see them change too much. Star tours dosn't need to be goign througha pod racer scene.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics