Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Coaster poll: Getting to be too much?
Hercules

12/8/2005 1:52:27 PM
I was wondering what everything thought about the way that coaster polls have taken over things in the industry. I realize that we have a very competitive society and there are awards for anything and everything, but isn't this kind of thing killing an industry that is supposed to be about fun? I know it is a business, and a competitive one at that, but they are in the entertainment business. I think that those of use who are within the industry and know about it are really getting caught up in everything. There are people debating which coaster is better than the other, and people want to "get people to like the coasters that they like" and persuade people out of their opinions, which I find to be absurd. Are they just going too far or am I just stupid? Please be very blunt with me because apparently that is the only way I can understand things. I just find that all of this debating and things are ruining my fun and could case me to get out of this craziness. I sometimes wish I was naive about the industry again, but that is when I truly appreciated it all.

--------------------
"I could never design another ride like Hercules." - Curtis Summers

larrygator

12/8/2005 4:08:14 PM
I like what I like and understand others will have their opinions. You can't force someone to like what you like and having someone tell me what they like will not change my opinion. I think polls are good for comparative purposes, but it is not reasonable to compare things one has not experienced. If you have only been to Great Adventure and only care about speed you are going to say that Kingda Ka is the best. That means nothing to me.

That is why I like Mitch's poll because you get a input from a vast number of people. Do I take this to mean that I will also think Balder is the best wood coaster out there? Certainly not, but I will expect it to be one of my top tier coasters after I ride it. Its high regard amongst so many riders certainly influenced me to pay a little more money on my trip to England next year to include a side trip.

If it wasn't for polls and rankings I might not have even planned many of my coaster trip. I think "records" are the bigger evil than polls.

I can certainly understand your feelings that the industry was more fun when you were naive. However I'd rather stand back and laugh at the rider on line who talks about Steel Force being the longest coaster, going 100MPH and having more air time than any other coaster in the world than exactly be that person. I like being informed.
Canobie Coaster

12/8/2005 5:41:11 PM
The coaster rankings are very nice, like Larrygator has said, when it comes to planning roller coaster trips, but I also hate debating over which coasters are the best, or better or worse than the other. I stick to my own opinions like everyone else. I don't care if a coaster sets a record or not, I want a fun ride.
hrrytraver

12/8/2005 6:04:56 PM
well this is where i think the review format of this site is good. i think there exists the "rating" centered aspect to this site, but also an entirely subjective personal aspect too, which is the "review" part of the review. of course there are the members who post very short reviews, and i think in many cases these are the folks who are concerned with ratings most. perhaps some want to spill the ratings of rides they dislike or for whatever bizarre reason have a vendetta against, and others just really like rating stuff and qualifying their judgements etc.

i, however, enjoy the "body" of the reviews more than the ratings and perhaps i could even dispense with the ratings all together. for example some coasters are rated very low most of the time, such as son of beast, but a review such as the review timberman did on this site piqued my interest and makes me want to give it a go. i'd rather hear about how an individual reacts with a coaster, or what anecdotes or musings he/she has, over how a person thinks a certain ride should sit in the "grand scheme" of things.

for example. the CI cyclone is not #1 on many polls (not even top twenty on TPC) and it wasn't a top ten in this poll we speak of now. however, if you glance across the reviews on this site for cyclone you'll read some of the most ecstatic and poetic reviews on the entire site. that should tell you something right there. the cyclone is a unique experience and the reviews here will whet the appetite of any coaster fan who's never made the trip out to brooklyn. you really can't understand just how moving (no pun int) and important a ride on the cyclone is and why any coaster fan should try it if you just look at the numbers or how it sits in polls etc.

i'm more interested in testimonies and thoughts, and impressions than numbers.

--------------------
god is dead. -nietzsche

nietzsche is dead. -god

plato is a bore. -nietzsche

nietzsche is a bore. -me

hrrytraver is a bore. -you
Message updated 12/9/2005 12:45:24 AM by hrrytraver
RCGenius

12/9/2005 8:25:35 PM
Coaster polls haven't really been a huge effect to me at all, but I can see where you're going w/this Hercules. To me, I really don't think that you need an official coaster poll to tell you which coasters are better than others. It takes the fun out of finding out unique coaster experiences to me. Everyone around the world has unique coaster tastes & that's how it should be. For example, a lot of people say that Storm Runner's the best all-around launch coaster. Unfortunately, I feel like SR could've had a lil more elements as it was too short. At times I kinda wish that I was a regular GP who would blurt out any type of info. about a new coaster coming out, but I'm happy w/being the way I am now because I've gotten tired of hearing some GPs talk about certain coasters & they don't know **** about them. For example, when I was in Kennywood two years ago, while I was standing in line for Phantom's Revenge a GP in front of us was talking about a blue coaster in Ohio that stood 350 ft. high & had a top speed of 200 m.p.h. He was referring to Millennium Force, but that was still one statement that was pretty much impossible to believe.
coasterwom

4/26/2006 12:08:24 AM
Coaster polls don't have an effect on me at all. I visit a few new parks each year if possible and I review them after I visit the parks. I usually pick a state each year. This year I plan on visiting Wisconsin. There are some good wooden coasters there and a few smaller steel coasters that I want to try out and add to my list. I also want to try out the indoor water parks in Ohio they look like alot of fun. I haven't been to these yet and now they have day passes so why not try them.
mrceagle

4/26/2006 11:12:41 AM
Teh majority of the polls out there are never viewed by companies. now as far as competign for awards like Golden tickets then yes they do.

Thing is park ahave always been competitive. if it's not a local park they look to compete with a larger one of similare style. thats why you have a compitition between SFMM and Cedar Point.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics