Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Nother Super-long Trip Report Pt. I
BobFunland

7/26/2005 9:22:23 PM
Martin's Fantasy Island
Grand Island, New York
Date: Friday, July 3, 2005

I arrived at the park promtly at 9AM and bought my ticket which was only $10, half off the regular admission since it was a short-hours schoolday. I was very pleased and headed strait for what I came there for: Silver Comet, a CCI hybrid woodie.

I had to wait for the supervisor to come open the queue, upon which she told me that I would have to wait for at least 5 more passengers before I could dispatch. I still went forward and hopped in the back seat. Fortunately, the ride op didnt know about the minimum 6-rider rule, so he sent me on my way with an otherwise empty train. That first ride was mediocre, though I did get to roll back through the station and take a second lap without even stopping completely. Still, a slow and ok woodie at that point, but I knew it needed weight to really fly. At that point the supervisor had noticed the ride op's mistake and made him stop it and made me go back around. At that point, I opted for to ride Nitro, a Zamperla pendulum ride.

The ride was awesome, one of the best pendulum's out there, and aided even more by a double cycle which the ride op treated me to (at this point there may have been a total of 15 people in the park, but it did eventually pick up). I then hit more flats, including:

A Wisdom Sizzler, which was run faster and longer than your typical Eli Bridge Scrambler:

A Mulligan Sea Ray, which sucked and mid-ride I heard a big "thud" that startled the ride op but she took the "if you didn't hear it I didn't hear it" approach. Horray for precautionary safety.

Patriot, which I thought the rideop said was from Chance but I cannot identify the model or anything:

I ended up going back to the Comet over and over again, riding it a total of 10 times, three up front and seven in the back. With a full load, it is one kickass woodie with some amazing laterals and some nice airtime. The ride also doesn't let up and actually build's speed as it progresses. It was also set in a nice location:

Perhaps the only detractor for the ride was that it could have been longer (but that costs more $$ so I can overlook that), the one-train operations probably make the line killer on busy days, and the sometimes-aweful staff.

I also rode Nitro about five times and also took a spin on the park's Chance Carousel, small version.

I ate at the pizzaria, and suprisingly it was pretty good and $5 got me a meal. The souvenirs stunk, but I did come home with a cup like I always try to do, and I also ate a Belgian Waffle which is new to me in amusement parks. I must warn you that it was good but you will get the powdered sugar everywhere so get bunches of napkins.

That's about all, I only stayed for about 4 hours total, but got my $10 worth and then some. Many people have spoken negatively about the park but to me it wasn't that bad (nor great either).
Message updated 5/11/2012 12:38:41 AM by BobFunland
larrygator

7/26/2005 10:45:17 PM
Last year $7.95 got me into Martin's Fantasy Island for 5 hours. Where else can you spend less than $2 an hour. The parks not great but I felt that I got my money's worth. Especially watching the wild west shoot-out show they put on every couple of hours.
Cyclonic

7/27/2005 9:32:13 PM
Martin's is basically a carnival with a very nice wooden coaster, except it is cheaper then most carnivals. I didn't think the place was that bad either, about what I expected from it.

PCW is decrided just how I felt about it, the coasters were mediocore at best. They do have a great collection of flats, with some awesome modern rides as well as some rare classics. They also have a very nice and under rated kiddie section. You didn't mention it, did you ride the Top Scan, I see you have a photo of it, but you didn't mention this fantasic ride in your report.

BTW, the Koi live in the pond down stream, and swim up during the day because they are smart enough to know they will get fed there.
BobFunland

7/27/2005 10:44:39 PM
I redid the formating because the first version was a mess. I guess it didn't copy well from WordPad.

Yes, I did ride the Top Scan and it was superb. It's one of my favorite flats out there, any my new "I want one at my park" ride. I already reviewed it and gave it a 9, though I'd say its more of a 9.5 in my book. You know how shy I am about giving 10s.

I should have known about the fish, you are absolutely right.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics