Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Knoebels Skooters: Dethroned!
BobFunland

7/25/2005 2:23:15 PM
As hard as it may be to believe for you diehard Knoeblians, but I truly believe that there are bumper cars that hit harder.

Where?

Hoffman's Playland near Albany. I remembered reading about them in one of the Skooters reviews, and since I left SFNE a bit earlier than expected (and since Christina finally felt a bit better, damn SFNE chicken wings), I decided to give her a ride on something "similar to the Skooters", which was her fav. ride at Knoebels. For $2.50, you can ride their well-kept Lusse Auto Skooters, which is more expensive than the Knoebels ones unfortunately, and they only run for about 3-4 minutes, and there aren't as many and the arena is smaller, but... they hit even harder, somehow Two more fantastic skooter rides have inspired me to put the Knoebels ones in my top 10 since the Hoffman ones aren't listed on the site.

Anyway, for some photos:
Message updated 5/11/2012 12:35:40 AM by BobFunland
Hercules

7/25/2005 2:36:34 PM
Nice little find there Joe. They sound pretty good. I never imagined something that hit harder than the Skooters at Knoebels About how far away is this place from SFNE? I'm guessing it is not on the way back down the PA. Sorry about the knee thing It must have been really good to cause something like that though. Those Lusse's really are nice. They look better than the one's at Knoebels. It could just be a bright color thing though.

Oh yeah, when are you going to start knocking out the review for like your 70 some new coasters you lazy bum ? I'm waiting for them Oh yeah, and how much longer are you going to be up from the south? Well, I guess I'll just email you. I guess that would be better

--------------------
"I could never design another ride like Hercules." - Curtis Summers

Message updated 7/25/2005 2:39:20 PM by Hercules
BobFunland

7/25/2005 3:52:41 PM
It's just north of Albany and somewhere between an hour and 1.5 hours from SFNE. I had to take a detour because I was wrongly mislead by the "wonderful" NYS highway signs. I forgot to mention that those lovely tires in the middle provided some comic relief: somehow, I don't know how, but Christina drilled the end head-on and damn near knocked them out of place It was one of the hardes hits I have seen in my life. They dont make you wear seatbelts either, because you would have choked to death if you did.

The knee thing didn't bother me too much (well, it hurts like hell) but that just impressed me a lot.

I am working on the new reviews right now, and I plan on just going through my ride tracker and adding them alphabetically, if that gives you an idea. I've got a couple of days to recouperate so perhaps I will get a bunch done.

Oh yea, I replied to you already, I hope it went through.
Message updated 7/25/2005 3:55:41 PM by BobFunland
Hercules

7/25/2005 4:00:50 PM
Got it and replied to you already too Wow, the wonders of modern technology.

That sounds like something interesting to possibly check out the next time I head up to SFNE. I was thinking like a half day at SFNE and a half day at Lake Compounce, but this place is kind of intriguing.
BobFunland

7/25/2005 4:05:22 PM
I wouldn't plan on going for more than an hour, since there is little else to do as far as I'm concerned.
Hercules

7/25/2005 4:10:05 PM
Right, I figured it would just be a little stop on the way back home or something like that. I don't know, I don't feel like I would be able to spend an entire day at SFNE. I would probably get really bored unless I went to the water park or something. This place would just be a filler as long as it is not that far out of the way.
BobFunland

7/25/2005 4:18:53 PM
If you go, try the water coaster thing that they installed this year. I rode it (along with the Tornado, which is why we missed out on a few rides) and it was much more fun than I would have thought, and you also get very wet during the course of the ride, which I also didn't expect.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
7/25/2005 5:50:49 PM
Wow, Bob - I'm salivating here. Those are some BEEEYOOTIFUL Lusse's.
*FreeBird*

7/25/2005 6:30:10 PM
Well I think the fact that there are fewer bumpercars (just looking at the pics) allows them to gain much more speed. Know what I mean? Last time I was at Knoebels there were much fewer bumpercars running for some reason and they just seemed to hit harder. Heck, one of the cars had to be pulled off to the side during the ride because that pole thing was damaged and the car was not functioning. But I guess it is possible that these could hit harder.
BobFunland

7/25/2005 7:01:14 PM
Eh, that may be true. With fewer cars running, perhaps each skooter gets more power instead of dividing it up among more, though even with 6-8 people on our first ride it really kicked butt.

I'm not sure, but that may be a logical explanation. Nonetheless, they really do go faster and hit harder, and that's probably a good reason why.
Cyclonic

7/25/2005 8:09:32 PM
Oh, I guess this answers my question from the other thread. I am now really dissappointed I could not get this little park in when I was doing NY last year

I think Oaks Park in Portland has Lusses as well, can't wait to give them a spin in a month's time.

--------------------
My Track Record

Penncoasters.com

Coaster Events Page Updated 6/16/05

The Al Franken Show - The worst three hours of radio known to man! Good thing Rush is on at the same time

Message updated 7/25/2005 8:14:43 PM by Cyclonic
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
7/25/2005 9:17:04 PM
Definitely let us know about Oaks, Cyclonic - I'm very interested in how that turns out.
larrygator

7/25/2005 9:26:03 PM
I remember hearing about these last year. On my way back from Great Escape I got off the highway for gas near Latham and tried to follow the signs for the park but couldn't find it. I probably drove right past it. Since I was also hitting Rye Playland on the way home I didn't spend any extra time looking for Hoffman's. curses!
coaster05

7/26/2005 1:38:32 AM
You ever have a day when most of the people you like talk with great passion about something you just don't quite get.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics