Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Destruction Day
penguin22

7/24/2005 6:18:43 PM
I was just thinking about something the other day. How long will certain coasters run before they are chopped up and sent to the scrap yard. It's hard to say, but when will rides such as Montu, Nitro, Lightning Racer, Riddler's Revenge be scrapped for something else. It is hard to say how some newer rides will age, but what does everyone else think?
darkridrMD

7/25/2005 10:57:55 AM
I guess you never know. Some of the coasters that seem like they should be gone are still around. I don't know if Big Bad Wolf is still active at BGW,but I remember thinking that was really lame the last time I was on it. I also remember being disappointed in the Loch Ness Monster. That was THE ride back in the day. Guess it depends on how popular it still is versus the cost of a new one.
john398

7/25/2005 12:27:19 PM
Or Python at BGT is kind of rough these days
ibluv

7/25/2005 4:08:21 PM
But it's the closest thing to a kiddie coaster they have
mrceagle

7/25/2005 4:34:36 PM
That really depends on how well they are beign taken care off. look at the Cyclone at Astroland?Coney Island. Look at allot of older coasters. if they work and people want to ride then they they will keep them up and runing.
penguin22

7/25/2005 5:58:19 PM
Popularity does have a huge effect of how long a coaster last. However I think there is also a point where a ride is beyond any type of renovation. At Clementon Park where I live down the street from, there is an old coaster named Jack Rabbit. It opened back in 1918 and has been SBNO for the last few years. It is in a sad condition and rumor has it that it will cost up to 10 milllion dollars to get the ride up and running again. Sadly it looks like it will be torn down. Fact is, some rides just reach the end of their life span and can't run anymore. Sad, but true.
mrceagle

7/26/2005 12:45:37 PM
I highly dubt that it woudl caust that much since they could have it rebuilt for half that. it depends on the company also. Clementon has ben astrugling park for a while. woulnd't expect them to do much. same problem Whalom had. but it depends on the companies plans. look at how many coasters CP has removed.
Red Rascal

7/26/2005 8:05:16 PM
Quote:
penguin22 said:
I was just thinking about something the other day. How long will certain coasters run before they are chopped up and sent to the scrap yard. It's hard to say, but when will rides such as Montu, Nitro, Lightning Racer, Riddler's Revenge be scrapped for something else. It is hard to say how some newer rides will age, but what does everyone else think?

Definitely popularity. If a ride maintains high popularity over a long period of time, the park would probably invest in the ride to maintain it. That, or if space is an issue for a park to expand. A perfect example of this would be Steel Phantom becoming Phantoms Revenge, although not all of it got scrapped.

--------------------
~ Coaster Count: 123 ~

What's life if you never get to the Point?
penguin22

7/28/2005 10:14:38 AM
Well Clementon should at least do something. The coaster has sat there for 3 years and they are actually starting to use the area as a temporary trash disposal area!
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics