Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Midwest Madness Itinerary -- Your Comments, Please
Timberman

7/3/2005 1:59:24 PM
Greetings and saluations. I haven't been posting much because I've been tied up with other things, but I hope to be back with a vengeance after Coaster Odyssey 2005. I've only been in the Midwest since last year, and I haven't gotten out much, so any comments or suggestions on my proposed itinerary would be greatly appreciated. I'm highly psyched because I've mapped out a route that should take me to at least eight wooden coasters that I haven't ridden yet, including the legendary Shivering Timbers and my most anticipated new coaster of 2005, Hades.

Saturday, 16 July: Leave SE Michigan in the morning. Drive to Michigan's Adventure. Have fun. Take the 11:00 p.m. Lake Express ferry to Milwaukee, WI and bunk somwhere between Milwaukee and Madison.

Sunday, 17 July: Drive to Mt. Olympus. Have fun. Head south and bunk somewhere between Wisconsin Dells and Gurnee, IL.

Monday, 18 July: Drive to the by-then-somewhat-anticlimactic Six Flags Great America. Have as much fun as possible while enduring Six Flags' usual disdain for its patrons. Bunk somewhere between Gurnee and Detroit, MI.

Tuesday, 19 July: Take the long drive back to SE Michigan while composing reviews in my head for TPC.

I haven't made any hotel reservations and was thinking I might just try to wing it. I'll be pretty close to well-populated areas wherever I go, and I want to keep things flexible. Does anyone think this is this a mistake? Am I missing anything or grossly under-estimating the traveling times involved? Thanks for your help. I hope to be contributing more soon.
larrygator

7/3/2005 4:22:06 PM
Timberman - make sure you hit Avalanche in Wisconsin Dells. It's less than 1 mile from Mt Olympus. A nighttime all you can ride pass is $13.95 and well worth it as you will want to keep riding and can get at least 10 rides in over the course of one hour. I think you will be surprised about the service at SFGAm. Customer service is much better there than the average SF park.

At Michigan Adventures don't skip Zach's Zoomer if you have not ridden it before.

At Mt. Olympus even if you don't like go-karts try the Medusa Drop track. You get airtime on a double down hill, absolutely insane if you have aq great go-kart.
Timberman

7/3/2005 9:39:33 PM
Thanks, larrygator. I just read your review of Avalanche, and now I'm more psyched than ever. I really must be out of the loop; that wasn't even on my radar screen. Those Skyscrapers are always fun as well.

I guess I still have the East Coast Six Flags mentality. Must remember I'm in the Heartland now.

What's the travel time like from Wisconsin Dells to Gurnee? Also, how much time in the park do you think I need fully to experience Michigan's Adventure and Mt. Olympus?
Message updated 7/3/2005 9:42:31 PM by Timberman
larrygator

7/4/2005 12:16:38 AM
Wisconsin Dells to Gurnee = about 2 1/2 hours all highway. Avalanche is below a lot of people's radar screen. Probably the most overlooked coaster in the US. Shivering Timbers can easily be done in 5 hours unless you hit the water park or desire night rides on Shivering Timbers. It's a very compact park. I didn't do the night rides as I was going to the Dells the next day.

Mt. Olympus can be done in a half day unless you want to hit every go-kart or the water park. You can make it all day if you really want to ride Hades all day, it is very reridable. However as I said I would leave the park when the night hours start for Avalanche and you can always go back if My Olympus/Hades is still open.

And you have to ride Cyclops at least once in the last row.

FYI - The Water Coaster has extremely low capacity of only about 100 people per hour. Even if it looks short it could take forever.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
7/4/2005 2:03:55 AM
No advice, Timberman - just happy as all heck to see you back, and sending my thumbs up to your prospective trip. Oh, and yes - you HAVE to tell us about Hades afterwards, when you get the chance - that looks like a friggin' monster.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics