Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Where are they now?
Lin48

6/19/2005 5:54:06 PM
When a park finishes with a ride and takes it out to make room for the next big thing (steel roller coasters, ahem, Six Flags and Cedar Point), do you ever wonder what happens to it?
Sometimes, I guess it goes into storage. A rep for the park says that in a press release or when questioned and that's the end of the story. There's no "we're thinking of selling it to..." or "we might as well just throw it in a dumpster"...although something to that effect really should be said.
Lately, I've just been wondering what happened to the Tornado ride at Great Escape. Knowing where that came from (Liberty Land in New York, which I guess lasted about 4 seasons in the 60's), I wondered whatever happened to the other dark rides that were shipped out of there as well (I know two went to Cedar Point, but they're obviously not there anymore). Where does this stuff go and can it be used again? Could it be sold super to cheap to a park that might be able to squeeze it into an old building?
Now, for me, I'm talking about dark rides, but there are other victims...does anybody know how I feel? Can anybody recall a ride that they previously wondered about that was revived or openly destroyed? Just curious. And a little bored.
mrceagle

6/19/2005 8:43:54 PM
I feel your pain Lin..

About Twister. from what I've heard they still have the set peices for the ride and might reinstall it in another part of the park with a deforent name.

As far a Canobie gose. Moon orbiter, Funtown rumered to buy and then backed out, Scraped. Kosmo Jets, Removed and scraped. Canobie Queen 2,Project canceled when law suit cast more then the money they got back, the boat part was dismantaled and converted into a second Fire works barg, replaced with the Blue Haring pontoon boat. Pretzel dark ride soad to Coney Island park.

That's all I can remember off my head. hopefully this sets your mind a bit at eas.
Swimace

6/21/2005 9:25:56 PM
A lot of rides (i.e.: drachen fire) are taken apart and melted. They are then sold as scrap metal. It's a pretty sad way to end a coaster's run, but it's a pretty common thing.
mrceagle

6/22/2005 11:20:08 AM
But think if you have a newer car you just might have a peice of DR withyou and not now it.
Lin48

6/22/2005 2:51:43 PM
That's kind of sad anyway, mrc. I just wish these rides that everyone loves could find new homes. I realize how hard it must be sometimes, but it's really a shame. I think Lake Compounce should take Tornado off GE's hands. They could fit it somewhere back by the River Rapids. C'mon!
I know that's totally wishful thinking. No use in tearing down a forest for a dark ride.
mrceagle

6/22/2005 3:38:53 PM
not worth.....a dark ride...... have you been obducted by aliens or somthing?

nayways LC dose like the idea of havign another dark ride so dose canobie.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics