Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Herschell Museum/Factory
BobFunland

6/2/2005 5:24:51 PM
OK, I'm going to try to do this, but a warning: half of my photos disappeared from the CF card. I apologize but will try to do my best. I really wanted this to be an all photo TR, but I'll be brief nonetheless.

I got to the factory at opening and walked in. For $5 you get admission, plus a token to ride a carousel. Additional rides are 50 cents a piece. They featured two Herschell Carousels, an aluminum kiddie one and a 1916 classic, which was one of the first to be built in that facctory. The company had a long history, which I won't bore the masses with. I know there are people out there who like that stuff but I thought that the photos would do best.

They had one room with a bunch of genuine, classic figurines.

I learned why most carousels nowadays have steel legs, look at the abuse they took (at park's hated):

Next up was the Band Organ exhibit. There were six companies in the town that manufactured band organs:

...with Wurlitzer being the most renowned:

Manufacturing the carousels' music rolls:

Sorry, I had to keep switching modes do to alternating flash photography bans, so I think thats where that one messed up.

Herschell, like many companies back then, didn't just do carousels.

Also, hidden back behind the junior carousel, were some ride parts in need of attention:

Now, back to the creme de la creme: the carousels. I had hit them when I first got there, but those photos from the first half of my day are the ones now gone. Sadly, this is the only photo I have of the carousel:

Unfortunately, the original band organ was MIA. There was music, but I think the organ was under restoration (just guessing by the donation box). The ride was missing a ring catch, which I really enjoyed and thought if anyone had one the museum would. I really expected it to have one. The carvings were nice and in great shape, even with the Carousel turning 90 years old. I asked to have them added to the site, from there I will review it.

It was a nice way to spend some time this afternoon. carousel was nice and the building was as well. The price was reasonable, and though small, the museum was informative and fun. They also had a gift shop, where I picked up a 101 years of Crystal Beach book, because I cant get enough of that wild woodie. The museum is year-round, so if you are passing through, I would suggest hitting it up. Even for someone like me, who isn't the biggest carousel fan, it was still a great learning experience, and I appreciate carousels and think they are a benchmark for a great park. I'm not saying to come all the way from Newark just for it, but if you're passing through check it out for a couple of hours.
Message updated 5/11/2012 12:40:15 AM by BobFunland
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
6/2/2005 8:34:30 PM
Very cool, Bob - I've been meaning to visit that museum for some time now - thanks for the great pictures. Can you tell me approx. how far the museum is from NYC?
BobFunland

6/2/2005 9:29:34 PM
It's near Buffalo so its about as far away as you can get while staying in New York. Mapquest says 6.25 hours from Jersey City (not Newark )
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics