Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Upper Midwest TR-Memorial Day Wkd 2005
larrygator

5/31/2005 8:48:22 PM
This TR lists my itinerary for the trip and provides highlights and tips for each park. I will also post individual TRs for each stop along the way. The prupose of this TR we be to display time frames for anyone planning a similar trip.

I come down with a cold the day before I fly out of NY and this causes me the change my strategy, my head is killing me and I don't end up on as many flats as I had been planning.

Friday 5/27 - land in Chicago at 7AM, pick-up my rental car and end the 30 mile drive to SFGAmerica by 8:15. Luckily there are a ton of restaurants right outides SFGAm, so I get a big breakfast at IHOP and am in the park at opening. My suggestion is to hit low capacity rides Superman: Ultimate Flight, Deja Vu and Ragin Cajun right away. It's a big park so outside of hitting the low capacity rides first just continue in a circle around the park to avoid backtracking. The food in the park is very diverse for a SF park. I'd rate Deja Vu the best ride and Ragin Cajun as the surprise of the park but I was not overall impressed with most of the coasters. The park closes at 7PM but the parking lot is a mess and it takes an hour to leave. A stayed at the Marriot Courtyard near O'Hare airport.

Staurday 5/28 - Leave the hotel at 6AM in order to be at Michigans Adventure for the opening and meet about was Coaster05 (Rich) and his wife and friends. It's only a 3 hour drive but they is a time zone change that Rich forgot about. I hit traffic and get to the park around 10:15, and Rich has already called me to tell me he was running late. It's a small park and I end up doing everything I want at a leisurely pace. Food choices in the park are limited and there is absolutely nothing near the park, but that's OK since there is no free readmission on the parking with Cedar Fair parks. Also every Cedar Fair park handles ister pakr passes differently. For Michigan Adventures I has to go the the Season Pass office and pick-up a paper ticket. Of course Shivering Timbers was the highlight of the park, but Zach's Zoomer is a good little junior woodie and they run this Scrambler real fast.

Sunday 5/29 - Wisconsin Dells, Leave at 7Am to head to Mt Olympus, I had saved $3 by pre-purchasing the ticket online. Then I had to bring the printed ticket to the window to get a wirstband. There was a lot of confusion as I was told by 3 different employees that the park closed at 3 different times. My game plan was to leave at 6PM and then hit some of the small kitshcy attractions in town along with the Avalanche at Timber Falls. Hades is a very good coaster but Avalanche is the best in Wisconsin Dells. Rain played a big put in the day as I went to get my waterproof windbreaker it started pouring and all coasters/carts stopped so I sat in my car for 90 minutes. I also hit up Riverview Park, small park with a galaxi and two kiddie/family coasters. Parking is free at all parks and the attractions are all in within a mile of each other. Tip: get the discounted night time passes if you plan to ride Avalanche or want the coaster credits at Riverview Park. I leave as it starts pouring again, my next stop is at a Days Inn in Eau Claire, about halfway between Wisconsin Dells and Minneapolis.

Tip: Do not pay $12 to go the Top Secret (attraction next to Mt Olympus) and you must ride the carts at Mt Olympus.

Monday 5/30 - ValleyFair/Camp Snoopy at Mall of America/Como Park. I leave the motel at 7:30AM to be at Valleyfair for the opening. At 10AM there are about 30 people lined up for season passes. A go to guest services to find out what the sister park policy is at VF. Good news as I don't want on line Guest Services writes down my pass number and ushers me in through a special entrance. I hit all the coasters a couple couple of other things but really am not feeling well so I decide to just cut out of the park before 2PM. Camp Snoopy is only 20 minutes from VF and worth the trip to see Mall of America. Howev
Message updated 5/31/2005 9:01:12 PM by larrygator
BobFunland

6/1/2005 1:50:25 AM
Not a bad weekend at all. I am glad to hear you had fun, and that Hades isn't the only good thing cookin' in the Dells. As I said I won't make it in two weeks, but if I get home and make some money I will probably go before the fall semester starts

I think you got screwed on the airfare though. That sounds like at least $350 for the tickets. It's only NY-Chicago, right? Call me crazy, but that sounds a bit high to me...
coaster05

6/1/2005 8:27:27 AM
Nice report and hopefully I can use those discount ideas. I am nervous about MoA being better then VF. But now I am more excited about Avalanche.

Glad to see you made it back safe and sound.
larrygator

6/1/2005 12:32:35 PM
the $552 was a package including airfare, two nights at the Marriot Courtyard and 5 days on the rental car.

a la carte it would have been about:
$275 for airfare
$150 for the rental car
$240 for the hotel
$665 total

don't worry I'm not dumb enough to pay $552 for a flight from NY to Chicago
BobFunland

6/2/2005 12:54:49 AM
Oh that sounds a lot better. I missed th rental car part which threw me off.
larrygator

6/2/2005 12:59:21 AM
Quote:
coaster05 said:
Nice report and hopefully I can use those discount ideas. I am nervous about MoA being better then VF. But now I am more excited about Avalanche.

Glad to see you made it back safe and sound.

Don't worry VF is better than Camp Snoopy, I just enjoyed Camp Snoopy more due to the mood I was in and my need for cool air (I was still feeling sick)

coaster05

6/2/2005 8:06:39 AM
Thanks thats a relief since VF is the biggest park I will be visiting on that trip.

Sorry you could not shake that cold.
Hercules

6/2/2005 9:50:05 AM
This sounds like something that I might have to do in the coming years. I have family out in Wisconsin that I could hit up for a place to stay while I'm out there or something. All of the prices sound fairly reasonable for the parks and rides that you get out of it too. I can't wait for the individual trip reports.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics