Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Paramounts Carowinds: May 24, 2005
WAR2174

5/25/2005 3:53:54 PM
Well I finally got to Carowinds yesterday. My wife, daughter(7), son(4) and myself all took the trip up to the park and we were all very excited to get going. We got some Burger King breakfast and headed out at about 8 in the morning from Shaw AFB in SC. We took some back roads through the country and got to Carowinds at around 9:30 and we were with the first group of cars to get in. We parked right in the front and headed in. I had bought out tickets at Shaw for $25 a piece and saved some major cash. We had to hang around the entrance area for a few minutes and the kids got some pictures with Dora the Explorer and Patrick Star(Nickelodeon cartoons for those of you who don't know). At 10:00 the park opened and some security guards lead everyone very calmly to the big Carowinds sign so that you could disperse where you wanted. We made a beeline for the Nickelodeon Central part, and right to the Fairly Odd Coaster. I'll ask you to refer to my individual ride reviews for more detailed feelings about the rides. I'll just give brief details to save space and not to bore you. Anyway, we were the first on FOC and my daughter was really excited since we were in the pink train. But the train didn't work right so we had to settle for the green one. But once it got going it didn't matter. The kids absolutely loved this ride. Through the day we went on it 6 times. They had a blast. That's what it is all about too. The ride ops let us ride again so we did. We were right in the front. Let me just say, this is a great kid's ride. After this we went over to The Flying Dutchmen's Revenge but it wasn't working right. So we headed over to the Lazytown Sporticopters. After the Fairly Odd Coaster this was pretty boring, but if you peddle the whole time, you get a nice workout. By the way, peddleing doesn't do anything expect spin the propeller. We were going to ride Arnold's Taxi but it wasn't open yet, which was a reoccuring theme during the day. Going on a Tuesday was a double egded sword. On the good side, the park was empty and everything was a walkon. On the bad side, a ton of stuff was closed. The list includes: TV Land Roadtrip, Rip Roarin Rapids, WhiteWater Falls, ScreamWeaver, Kaleidoscope, Dora's Azul Adventure, Rocket Power Air Time, and Frenzoid. Also closed were numerous restaurants, all the shows(which I included in that the Spongebob 3-D), and the two pay rides. It was somewhat disapponting to see so much closed but it also made it easier to go back to other stuff. Anyway, back to the rides. We headed over to the Nick rides and the kids rode Backyardigan's Swing-a-long, Boot's Balloon Ride, Phantom Flyers, and then down to the Wild Thornberry's River Adventure. Let me just say that I hate water rides. I can't stand to get wet at a theme park. I just feel nasty the rest of the day. I was overruled of course you I went on. It was a fun ride and it did't get anyone soaked just damp. We walked back up to Scooby-Doo' Haunted Mansion. It was a little cheesy but wasn't scary for the kids and easy for me to score. My score was 2400 BTW. My daughter and myself went back around to Runaway Reptar and walk right on the front row. She really loved how her feet were dangling and really liked it. It was a little rough for me, but nothing that bad. My son was just a little too short for it. We made our way around the back part of the park towards the Carolina Goldrusher. We stopped at the really interesting Super Saturator and tried getting some riders wet with the geisers and spray guns. No way was I going on that, and kids didn't want to either(I dodged the bullet there). The Carolina Goldrusher was next and it was decent. Very fun for the kids but a little slow for adults. We played a couple of games in the area and then my wife and daughter went on Ricochet. My wife sent me over to ride Carolina Cyclone. Let me just say, I true Arrow(if you know what I mean). The kids were hungry so we headed back to the Country Kitchen but, you guessed it,
Message updated 5/25/2005 3:54:27 PM by WAR2174
BobFunland

6/6/2005 12:57:21 PM
Quote:
WAR2174 said:
On the bad side, a ton of stuff was closed. The list includes... Rocket Power Air Time...

That stinks, Rocker Power was a good flat

Quote:
We got 2 bacon burgers, 2 slices of pizza, some fries and a drink for $20.20! The food was typical amuesment park fare, nothing to write home about but decent enough.

That sounds about average, and I thought the park's food stunk.

Quote:
I really felt like I was going to fall right out!

My thoughts exactly

Quote:
... and Top Gun:The Jet Coaster(cool but too short).

Too short? It's just fast because of the lack of a mid-course. It's still intense and fun, much like Batman except bigger and better (at least to me).

Quote:
The ride ops were nice and allowed re-rides when no one was in line(which was often).

Did they limit them to two? They had started that when I went, I just wondered if that policy lasted.

Quote:
Some rides (especially Borg) could use some paint.

BORG needs paint? It's practically brand new

Quote:
But the park made the ultimate impression, we WILL be going back! Thank you Carowinds!

Me too It was a nice park. Good trip report all-around, though paragraph's would be better

--------------------
It's Playtime!
Message updated 6/6/2005 12:58:31 PM by BobFunland
fergusonat

6/7/2005 9:26:23 AM
New paint on BORG???? Well, though I think the colors are hideous and it could use a new color scheme, the actual coat of paint is perfectly fine.....It just opened last year
WAR2174

6/8/2005 2:00:14 PM
Did you see the track between the holding brakes and station house? The black is peeling like a Norwegian after getting sunburned.

Paragraphs would be better now that I see it.
The big rides were limited to two, but some of the smaller rides you could go on as many as you wanted.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics