Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author My 2004 Trip Itenarary
ShepOz

12/30/2004 9:21:04 PM
Hi all. I am new to this board but did look at it for some ideas prior to my "coast to coast" tour of the US which I organised with a mate during August-Sept 2004. I have just a few brief comments about the parks I went to, and am willing to give more feedback should anyone request it. I am an Australian so I can say that I am definitely unbiased in my opinions.

Six Flags Magic Mountain (CA): This park has some fantastic rides (E.g. X, Deja Vu, Riddlers Revenge) but is really old and outdated and needs a bloody makeover bigtime. Didn't get to ride Superman Ultimate Flight because it was still undergoing repairs. However, together with Cedar Point, it still is a "must" visit !!

Knotts Berry Farm (CA): If it were not for Xcelerator, this park is a definite write-off and not worth a visit. Probably Silver Bullet (which they were building whilst I was there) will make it a little more attractive a destination.

Six Flags Marine World (SF:CA): This park has 2 great rides : Medusa and V2 -Vertical Velocity. It is very accessible from SF and is quite clean. But it is really really small for a RCE and probably not worth a visit!

Paramounts Great Adventure (CA): I would not waste time going to this park. It was an absolute joke. It had probably the oldest collection of rides I have ever seen, along with the other Paramount park I went to (see below).

Las Vegas: In Las Vegas, there are only 2 rides which are a must: The Manhattan Express (at New York New York) where you get a nice view of the strip, and the rides at the Stratosphere tower. And then you have the Bellagio buffet which is a must for any true lover of fine wining and dining.

Busch Gardens Tampa (FL): This park has a really lovely layout with a great ride (Montu), a jungle safari, and...the best of all- free beer !!! Definitely worth a visit and the superior park in all of Florida (yep - that is including the Disney Parks).

Islands of Adventure (FL): Apart from the Incredible Hulk Coaster, this park is really for the little kiddies.

Disney Parks (FL): At MGM-Park, you have the Tower of Terror, Aerosmith the rockin roller coaster ride and a Star Wars ride which I all thought were great. Definitely the only park worth a visit for a RCE - the food (turkey legs) was also great !

Cedar Point (OH): This is the holy land for any true believer in roller coaster action, excitement, entertainment and suspens. You have Top Thrill Dragster, Magnum XL, Millenium Force and Wicked Twister, as well as the 2 tower drops. An absolutely superb collection of coasters - the best of all the parks I visited and a definite must destination for any true RCE.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (VA): This park is really really a pretty park. However, it lacks in the thrill aspect, given that the only ride appealing here is Apollo's Chariot. I think Alpengeist is just way too slow for a roller coaster - seems like it has been dummed down for the kiddies. Really wouldn't bother visiting this park otherwise, given its small size and really small roller coaster ensemble.

Six Flags Washington DC: This park was ok. It had a Superman Ride of Steel ride which was inferior to the Six Flags New England version in all respects. It also had a flying ride - Batman - much like Superman Ultimate Flight at Six Flags NJ. If I were in DC, I would however, give it a visit over the Paramount Park in Doswell (see below).

Paramounts Kings Dominion -VA: This park is really outdated, has really really old rides and needs a serious ride makeover. Wouldn't bother getting to it.

Six Flags New England (MA): Superman Ride of Steel is the only ride at this park - forget about the rest because they are absolutely rubbish. I rode this ride 5 times from the front and 2 times from the back - apparently they had fitted new restraints. These restraints do not, however, compromise the un
Danny

12/30/2004 11:37:50 PM
You chose some great parks. I loved Alpengeist, and everything about IOA.

Welcome to the site
Red Rascal

1/1/2005 6:03:40 PM
Glad you had a good time. How long were you in the States, and how long did it take to plan all of this out? Going on a coast-to-coast amusement park trip is probably a dream for every RCE. How expensive was it, and was it worth it?
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
1/1/2005 11:51:27 PM
Welcome to the site, ShepOz - we're happy to have you here. You picked some great parks to visit, and made a heck of a journey across the US. I wish I had the time to make such a trip myself - I'm jealous!!! Again, thanks for stopping by!
ibluv

1/2/2005 8:16:04 PM
Wow. you really get around alot, Shep. I wish I had enough time and money to visit all those parks inside a year. Sorry to hear about Wonderland. That must've hurt when it closed.

--------------------
"Man plans, God laughs." -Anon
ShepOz

1/8/2005 7:54:38 PM
I was in the States for 6 weeks. Some of that time was spent doing touristy things and staying with relatives.

In terms of planning the trip, it took me 2 weekends to organise and book it all. I booked everything (i.e. Hire Cars, Domestic Airline tickets, Hotels) using the Internet.

Costwise, I would say it set me back about $5000 USD. I really did economise with food (eating plenty of junk) and hotels (staying in cheap motels - E.g Days Inn).

I would say that if you have the capital, then a coast to coast trip is a great idea for a holiday. Plenty of thrills and spills, excitement, action and suspense. You just have to make sure that you take the time to plan it right.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics