Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author TR: Carowinds, Pavilion, and Family Kingdom
rocketman23

7/23/2002 10:46:00 PM

I have highlighted the names of the rides I discuss for you to find the rides you want my opinion on. I have written a lot, and would appreciate it if you read all or most of it…

Well, it was time for the coaster trip that would set my coaster count over 100. These parks are often not visited upon coaster trips to the southeast for many people, and is a REAL shame.

We (my Dad and I) started off for Carowinds from Orlando at about 5 am on a Sunday on what was supposed to be a 9 hour trip. Instead, it ended up being 7 hours. We arrived at the Comfort Inn across the street at about 12:00-12:30 and checked in. We planned on having one and a half days at Carowinds, but due to our early arrival, we had just about 2 full days. Wandering over to the park we discovered we could buy a WOW card for the same price as one day admission, and get unlimited visits. This would save any additional cost of buying a two day pass. We entered through the South Gate, as it was the closest walk from the hotel, right into the middle of Top Gun's twisted track. Well, that made the decision of the first ride an easy one.

Top Gun: The Jet Coaster had a walk-on for the front row as I entered the station. So front row it was. I found quickly it is a good invert, nothing outstanding. The front row gives the best ride by far, and the back ride gives the most interesting hum sound I've ever heard on a coaster. I must note the quick transitions on the ride and no braking. The boomerang is certainly the climax of this ride, diving right into a mist tunnel under the South Gate. Better than Montu, but can't touch Alpie or Raptor.

I looked towards Thunder Road but found it was temporarily closed. I turned about and headed for the Hanna Barbara area of the park. After a quick photo with the Dick Dastardly display, I was off to ride the Ghoster Coaster. I took a seat in the back because I figure any ride with a lift this small needs all the help with speed it can get. This one really surprised me. I got some fun airtime off the first and second drops with good speed throughout the entire ride. The structure and overall appearance of the ride was sloppy. There were unpainted boards and trash everywhere... but at least the ride experience was good.

We made our way towards the north gate to get the WOW cards processed. I noted the very poor appearance of the main entrance at this park. When I visited PKI and PKD the entrances were very grand and beautiful with paths ending in the Eiffel Tower. Here I found a very short path with little landscaping and few shops with the path ending in a sky cabin with fading paint. This certainly wasn't the most scenic park I could tell.

We wandered over to the cluster of coasters starting with Vortex. This was I ride I was prepared not to like. It was a B&M with a bad rep. To my pleasant surprise this was a good ride, even better than the Scorcher IMO. Although the inversions were fun, I found myself liking the pleasant banked turns and helixes. Underrated ride here.

We walked down by Hurler to discover a desolate area. There was slim to none theming or decoration here. Hurler was open and the line was a walk-on(as was everything), so I went for a ride. The ride has its rough spots, but it also has its airtime. I preferred the middle of the train on this ride. I can't say I was neither disappointed nor surprised by this ride, just indifferent. I enjoyed the lack of seat belts on this ride and some of the airtime spots. Fun ride and all, but there's something missing from it that makes it an average woodie that I can't put my finger on.

Anywho, I was off to try Drop Zone, a rather small drop tower in a dirt field. It gives a great view of the park and I was pleasantly surprised with the air on this ride. It certainly felt higher than it looked.

Time for Carolina Cyclone. I must say this is the only coaster at Carowinds I disliked. It was uncomfortable, a bi
xDisney

7/25/2002 8:25:00 PM
A fantastic trip report, probably the best I've seen on TPC. I'm glad you enjoyed you're trip to the Carolina's.

xDisney

7/25/2002 8:27:00 PM
A fantastic trip report, probably the best I've seen on TPC. I'm glad you enjoyed you're trip to the Carolina's.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics