Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author TR: CoasterMania 04 @ Cedar Point (Looong)
PhantomNik

10/15/2004 5:57:35 PM
Shortly after I joined ACE earlier this year, I got one of their newsletters and it was stuffed full of various flyers for upcoming events, both ACE-sponsored and park-sponsored. I pulled out a bright orange one and discovered it was the flyer for Cedar Point’s annual coaster enthusiast event, CoasterMania. Eureka!! This was the event I knew for sure I didn’t want to miss! I am a big fan of Cedar Point, which I realize may probably get me classified as a "fanboy", but the truth is I just greatly respect how the park is run, what it has to offer, and how going there just feels like you’re escaping the real world, if for just a little bit. No other park that I’ve been to has this kind of setting, out away from everything else, sitting proudly on a peninsula that juts into Lake Erie. It may be officially located in Sandusky, but in my eyes Cedar Point stands alone and could be its own town. Thank goodness there aren’t permanent houses up there in the middle of the park, or I would have a new home!

As I perused the schedule, my eyes couldn’t believe what they were reading! This year the event was moved, for one time only, to September. Apparently it is normally held on the first Friday in June. By the time September rolls around, during this "Bonus Weekend" time of their season, the park is open 10-8 on Saturdays. According to the schedule, the gates were to open at 6 am, and then remain open for us until 11 pm!! Folks, that is a SEVENTEEN HOUR day in the best Amusement Park on the planet! It was still winter, and I was already ready for September 18!

We decided to try Hotel Breakers East section and stay in one of their suites, especially once we found out about the package deal we could get for that time of year. Room for 2 nights, 4 Friday evening tickets, and 2 Saturday tickets all offered for one rather reasonable price. We also noted that any unused tickets from Friday (the park is open only 6-11 pm) could be upgraded to Sunday tickets for just $15. Since I have a Cedar Fair season pass, this worked out perfectly for us! My dad and brother could get in Friday night, and there would still be 2 tickets left for them to upgrade and get in for a while on Sunday before we had to leave and drive back home. So, the plans were set and before anyone knew it, it was time for our Cedar Point CoasterMania 2004 weekend!

Day 1: 9/17 (The Ivan Drive!)

Well, as we all remember, Hurricane Ivan and its remnants were running roughshot over the Eastern U.S. on this particular Friday. We had monitored the situation all that week, and it finally looked as though Ivan would miss Sandusky – barely. We would just have to drive through the heart of it to get there! Just shows you what us coaster enthusiasts will go through to get some ERT! We left Pennsylvania at just before 12:30 in the afternoon. The rain was insane, and this was some of the heaviest rain I had ever seen, let alone driven through. Yet, we trudged on, making our way on the PA and then OH turnpike. It amazed me that despite the conditions, people still wanted to drive 70 mph! I mean, these roads had ponding, and in some places standing water of a half inch or more. In spots we could just feel the vehicle start to hydroplane. My thought was let the idiots blow past, because I would like to get to CP in one piece! It really was amazing, though, that once we got a little past Cleveland, as if someone had flipped a switch, the rain went from a deluge to nothing at all. As we turned onto the Cedar Point Causeway, it was still pretty much overcast, with some peeks of sun, and it seemed to be quite breezy. We passed the Breakers Express and I noticed the temperature said 63 degrees. We all said, "Gee, that’s a tad bit cool". Heh, heh, we were about to find out just how right we were.

We entered the Breakers lot to a sight I know I wasn’t used to seeing – a parking lot that was three-quarters em
BobFunland

10/16/2004 12:38:26 AM
Wow, what a great trip review, filled with so much detailed content, about what seems like an awesome trip

The only thing that I have is a problem with your rating of their food: is it the best that you have experienced, because to me, it was only a little above average, and going ot Dollywood a few weeks later didn't help
However, it is still a very, very good TR. :trophy:
Hercules

10/19/2004 12:39:56 PM
Great trip report! I'm patting myself on the back right now. LOL Anyway, I can't wait to make my first trip to Cedar Point next season. You made my anticipation so much stronger! I personally do see what is so great about TTD, but of course I have not riden on it yet, so I can't wait. I'm happy that you had such an awesome trip, and thanks for sharing all of the details.
PhantomNik

11/4/2004 3:26:16 PM
Quote:
BobFunland said:
Wow, what a great trip review, filled with so much detailed content, about what seems like an awesome trip

The only thing that I have is a problem with your rating of their food: is it the best that you have experienced, because to me, it was only a little above average, and going ot Dollywood a few weeks later didn't help
However, it is still a very, very good TR. :trophy:

Thank you very much for the positive feedback, and thanks for taking the time to read through it. I know it was long, but it truly was the best trip I've ever had to a park! So, once I got started, well, I just kept on writing!.....and writing.....and writing.........and

In response to your inquiry, what I do with my little park ratings section of my TR's is give a general rating on the various aspects of the park that, to me, are important. So, I'm not necessarily comparing any of the categories to anyplace else's. The food I got was all quite tasty and filling, hence the 9. I know there are probably parks with better food, I just haven't gotten to them all quite yet!
Message updated 11/4/2004 3:28:38 PM by PhantomNik
PhantomNik

11/4/2004 3:36:06 PM
Quote:
Hercules said:
Great trip report! I'm patting myself on the back right now. LOL Anyway, I can't wait to make my first trip to Cedar Point next season. You made my anticipation so much stronger! I personally do see what is so great about TTD, but of course I have not riden on it yet, so I can't wait. I'm happy that you had such an awesome trip, and thanks for sharing all of the details.

Thanks for the good feedback, I appreciate it! Let me tell you, when you go next year and you drive up the causeway and first see the park open up before you, your face will probably look something like this - I know when I went back in '02 for the first time in over a decade, I got chills when I saw the place!! Hang in there, 2005 will be here before you know it! Besides, it'll be well worth the wait to get to experience the best amusement park in the world!!
Message updated 11/4/2004 3:46:55 PM by PhantomNik
yfz450

11/17/2004 9:17:54 PM
That was an amazing trip report. I actually read threw the whole thing. You really captured the moment about TTD. That is exactly how I feel. Why didn't you ride on the drop side of the powertower? IMO it's better then the launch side.
psu_dude

12/31/2004 10:21:26 AM
Wow, wow, WOW!!! That was one of the best trip reports I have ever seen! As I read through it, I felt almost like I was there too! And I read all of it....frankly once I started I couldn't just stop reading, it was that good. Your trip reports are always so full of detail, and they not only give an idea about the rides and coasters, but also let us in on the actual park experiences. Again, well done and an absolutely amazing trip report!! :trophy:
yfz450

12/31/2004 2:44:08 PM
I just read it again. It reminds me of when I was there. I think this trip report might get me through the off season. lol
Chet

12/31/2004 3:24:37 PM
How was the rollback
PhantomNik

5/17/2005 3:49:30 PM
Quote:
yfz450 said:
I just read it again. It reminds me of when I was there. I think this trip report might get me through the off season. lol

You know, it's funny, but I read this a couple times over the winter myself just to remember the fun! Man, I can't wait, only a little over 2 weeks until CoasterMania 2005!!
PhantomNik

5/17/2005 3:56:39 PM
Quote:
Chet said:
How was the rollback

Well, it's been too long since I've been here, so I guess I should respond to some of these posts! The rollback, quite honestly, was the most insane coaster experience I have ever had. There's nothing quite like falling backwards at 100+ mph!!

What was great is we perched at the top for a few seconds and I really got a look at just how high 420 feet is.....let me tell ya, it's HIIIIIIIGH!
yfz450

5/25/2005 12:31:34 PM
I think I have read that 4 or 5 times over the offseason. All I've got to do now is wait till august until I go back to CP. Hopefully by then you will have made a new masterpeice to read.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics