Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 3 ] [ 1 ] 2  3 
Author The 5 Best Coasters Youve Ever Ridden
Animan1

9/22/2004 2:50:20 PM
Exactly what the title says. Please include a brief (or long) explanation with each of your choices. Here are mine (in order):

The Incredible Hulk Coaster: Forceful, perfect inversions, setting

Top Thrill Dragster: Insane speed, awesome view, atmosphere

Raging Bull: Fast, re-rideability, pacing

Montu: Inversions, pacing, perhaps the best on-ride theming of an coaster

The American Eagle: Fast, racing, a classic out-and-back layout

--------------------
"This is the police...I am with them...I am a police officer." - Graham Hess, Signs

Coaster Count: 51
BobFunland

9/22/2004 2:59:15 PM
Millenium Force- Nothing can beat this beast of a coaster that includes high speeds and height with a full ride, a nice view, two cool tunnels, insane overbanks and good air.

X- There is no ride experience on this planet that comes close. Absolutely insane.

Hulk- the best launch on the earth, along with some good elements, fantastic theming and a wonderful night ride.

Thunderhead- brilliant track layout with some of the best pacing ever, 22 track crossings, and tons of air, combined with the overall beauty

SUF- One of the coolest experiences along with the intensity of the pretzel loop.
Danny

9/22/2004 4:12:04 PM
1. Hulk - Great uphill launch, and the best first twenty seconds of any coaster I've ridden.

2. Millennium Force - Absolutely incredible height and speed, and a breathtaking first drop.

3. Cyclone - The best ejector airtime I have ever gotten on a coaster, and the second best first drop.

4. Apollo's Chariot - The best floater airtime that I have ever gotten on a coaster, plus a great third drop.

5. Top Thrill Dragster - Powerful launch, unbelievable speed and height, and some very good theming.
yfz450

9/22/2004 5:14:59 PM
1. TTD- nothing can beat it's crazy launch and awesome hight.
2. Millenium Force- It has awesome height great speed nice banked turns and lasts over 2 min.
3. Raptor- it has a nice steep drop good speed, smooth ride(besides the end), nice inversions
4. Wicked Twister- awesome I like the double twist even better than the first
5. Steel Venom- I like this ride alot, It's not quite as smooth as wicked twister and I like the double spike more. After that thing's get fuzzy because of how good some rides are.
3r1c

9/22/2004 6:23:39 PM
Only 5? I hate being limited.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
9/22/2004 7:16:47 PM
The Cyclone (Coney Island) - violent, unapologetic, definition of "classic"

Millenium Force - Scary as hell though smooth as satin, changes all perception of what a coaster is

The Beast - Adventurous and manipulative, surprises around every corner

Boulder Dash - fast, fast, fast - mean as hell, and never, ever lets up

The Phoenix - Perfection in airtime, and the most exact balance of hilarity and fear a coaster can offer

...oh, if I could add more...
coaster05

9/22/2004 7:38:25 PM
phoenix- airtime and history combined perfectly at a unique park

Beast the length, those long flat runs to feel the speed, the trees, and seeing bats fly in front of the moon on a cool april night.

Shivering timbers- just missing the scenary to move up a spot, great airtime, beautiful sunset reflection and an absolutely crazy night ride at timbersfest

millenium force. that first drop the way it moves your face and the pure bliss i felt in front car with my family

dominator- the front car at fear fest at 12:00 was one of the greatest single rides i ever had

benleibo

9/22/2004 8:30:10 PM
For me this easy, as my top 5 coasters are all very close but all seem to have a comfortbale edge over my #6. My top 5:

Millennium Force - Intimidating, fast, long, great first drop, views, has become a foundation of all enthusiasts' lists
Superman:Ride of Steel (SFNE) - Maybe the best ever overall design, fun never stops, and AIRTIME is BEST IN WORLD
Montu- combo of power and grace, excellent inversions, batwing, theming, landscape, smooth, best looper
Incredible Hulk- Launch could be world's best element IMO, relentless, theming, roaring track, setting
Top Thrill Dragster- the experience, speed, height, and knowing it is the world record holder, adrenaline rush
MagnumMan

9/22/2004 9:52:13 PM
Here's my Top 5...you can see the rest, of course, in my profile. It's so unbelievebly close in my #1 and #2, It took me some seriously thinking and reflection to place those two coasters. So here they are:

Incredible Hulk - Eerilly beautiful setting the center basin and the small forest of trees in the second section of the ride. Heart-stopping inclined launch with my favorite inversion at the top of the launch (Zero-G Roll), excellent futuristic "comic-style" theming, a layout so dizzying it's hard to walk after coming off that includes 7 excellent inversions and mist-shrouded tunnels. 3 Words: The real deal...

Millennium Force- MF bestows pure intimidation upon you from the time you first look at it until the time you crest the lift hill. Nearly flawless (a slightly more complex layout would have kicked Incredible Hulk to the curb) layout makes this ride one of a kind. Covered nearly fully queque (a definite plus), futuristic station and supports and the allmighty lift hill (which rendered me hysterical going up it) and blinding speed are just a few of the things that make MF one of my favorites.

Magnum XL-200- A true classic and an obvious trendsetter. It never lets up...especially on airtime. One of the ride's famous high points, everything from the steep, off-your-seat first drop until the bunny hops on the return run (which is probably the most fun I've ever had on any coaster...ever), keep you wanting more. And I got it...at least 10 times (pretty good for a park that isn't really all thta close to you)

Titan- This one packs a punch. On the 1st drop, you feel like you are going to fall forever...and the underground tunnel doesn't make you feel any better

Raptor

e rest of the post will be added shortly)

--------------------
"I'd like to thank all the people who made Incredible Hulk, Titan, and Superman:Ride Of Steel (SFDL, a'course) possible...Big up to Intamin. You are some coaster geniouses. Gionvanola & B&M, I know you are one and the same...in so many ways. I get so choaked up at these moments..."

INCREDIBLE HULK IS THE BEST THRILL EVER!!! GET OUT AND RIDE THIS MONSTER!!
Message updated 9/23/2004 7:46:09 AM by MagnumMan
larrygator

9/22/2004 11:18:18 PM
Quote:
adriahna said:
The Cyclone (Coney Island) - violent, unapologetic, definition of "classic"

Millenium Force - Scary as hell though smooth as satin, changes all perception of what a coaster is

The Beast - Adventurous and manipulative, surprises around every corner

Boulder Dash - fast, fast, fast - mean as hell, and never, ever lets up

The Phoenix - Perfection in airtime, and the most exact balance of hilarity and fear a coaster can offer

...oh, if I could add more...

I'm in complete agreement with your five but in a different order (even though I have TTD rated higher because of the rush, these are better "coasters").

1) Cyclone - words can not do this coaster justice (air, most insane lats you can imagine, no seatbelts or seat dividers)
2) Phoenix - yes, better air than any of the steel, including any S:ROS, Appolo's Chariot or whatever else you want to compare it too. Loose lap bars no seat belts
3) Beast - flying through the woods with a train of screaming people. incrediable tunnels
4) Millenium Force - pure speed, just plain fun
5) Boulder Dash - best terrain coaster, flys through the woods, great air, never let's up speed

--------------------
It's not a choice between war and peace. It's a choice between war and something much worse.
Message updated 9/22/2004 11:29:23 PM by larrygator
benleibo

9/24/2004 5:00:57 PM
My top 5 coasters of are all huge steel coasters (MF, SROS, Montu, Hulk, TTD), but I have to give credit to my two favorite wood coasters as well....

-Cyclone: Like the two previous posts state, no words can describe this coaster. It is the epitome of a rollercoaster. SROS has the best overall airtime, but the floater air on Cyclone's steep first drop is ridiculous. The nostalgia and the views just make all that much better

-Ghostrider- If not for being a little rougher than expected, this coaster would be in my top 5, easy! Yes, everything you've heard is true. Ghostrider is the most out-of-control of coaster i've ever been on. The ride seems to get faster as it goes on, and better. The air over the hills is outstanding. The floater air on the turn after the small break run is crazy. The headchoppers make you think you are about to die. Excellent.

Don't really have either one above the other. They're both so different.
mrceagle

10/28/2004 1:32:30 AM
Steel
Nitro (SFGAdv) – The coaster is fast, wild and fun. Worth the wait!
Viper (SFOG, removed) - This Schwarzkopf Shuttle is time tested and packs a mean punch.
Drach'n Fire (BGW, removed) - This was a fantastic coaster and will forever be my favorite.
SROS (SFNE) - This is a fantastic coaster well designed and is a great location. The 2 tunnels help allot for its uniqueness.
Medusa (SFGAdv) – With a smooth, intense, thrilling design it’s no wonder every floorless is compared to the original. They did things right the first time with this ride.

Wood
Yankee Cannonball (Canobie Lake Park) – This 1930’s coaster still packs a good punch. It’s fast smooth and offers a great ride.
Excalibur (Funtown/Spashtown USA) – This Custom layout CCI has good lats and good air. The ride is wild and fun.
Bolder Dash (Lake Compounce) – This is the new standard for coasters, unique with a touch of classic charm.
Cyclone (Astro Land) – The Grandfather of all wood coasters. We all owe homage to this great coaster.
The Comet (Great Escape) – This double out and back is allot of fun. With a few tricks up it’s sleeve I think it will keep riders happy for many years to come.

Cyclone (SFNE) would have made the list in the past but with there changes they have destroyed a once fantastic ride.
primogen18

10/28/2004 3:08:03 PM
In no order, but as you can see my choices are limited as I have not been to nearly as many parks as most of you:

Steel Force - Lots of air, smooth, awesome first drop
Phoenix - Most air ive ever experienced, fast and alot of fun
Raptor - awesome first drop and intense final helix
Space Mountain - Classic feel to it, alot of fun with great themeing
Talon - quick, alot of fun, tight twisted layout

--------------------
Primogen 18's Page
My Message Boards<My New Art Promotional Domain

PKD_Fan

11/13/2004 7:42:21 PM
My top 5:

SRoS (SFNE): This ride has Airtime and a really unique and fun layout.
Volcano the Blast Coaster: This ride has a great launch and is really fun coming out of the fake volcano.
Apollo'S Chariot: This coaster has airtime, a great first drop and a really good helix.
Nitro: This ride is fast and smooth and has a great first drop.
Medusa: This is a great coaster that is fast and intense.
Hercules

11/13/2004 8:35:38 PM
Storm Runner
Steel Force
Talon
Phoenix
Great Bear
tacoking

11/13/2004 10:36:14 PM
Revenge of the Mummy - It's the combintion of the dark ride portion and the roller coaster portion that makes this ride so incredible.
Incredible Hulk - Love the night rides on this thing. Can't say enough about them.
Millennium Force - Great view. Great drop. Great ride.
Raging Bull - Love the drop on this thing, plus it has some good airtime. Also has a great layout.
Superman: Ultimate Flight - 2 words: Pretzel Loop.

--------------------

Revenge of the Mummy is the greatest ride ever!
Animan1

11/14/2004 11:05:34 AM
Hmm, I like your Top 5 taco, and I'll have ridden all of 'em after this March when I go to Universal/IoA for the 1st time since they opened Revenge of the Mummy.
mrceagle

11/14/2004 4:35:25 PM
I still need to go to Universal and IOA. they were building IOA last time I was in Florida.
RCGenius

4/24/2005 8:31:01 PM
Phantom's Revenge: fast, crazy airtime, intense, lots of surprises

Pheonix: exhilarating, best airtime on woody, proves that it doesn't have to be the biggest/fastest

Lightning Racer: long, smooth, great racer, tunnel

Storm Runner: fast, intense launch, packed w/elements in short amt. of time

Talon: fast, smooth, cool colors, made my eyes water, unexpected surprises
WAR2174

4/24/2005 11:14:55 PM
Alpengeist: Wicked fast, silky smooth, great experience

X: Please, this is the wildest ride around, I will never forget those rides

Apollo's Chariot: Great airtime, fast, great time

Millenium Force: That drop is still the coolest, this thing is a monster

The Riddlers Revenge: This would be awesome sitting, standing, flying, or whatever, you just happen to be standing which gives it something extra, the alpha stand-up
Godsentone

4/25/2005 9:20:37 AM
Millennium Force: fastest lift, best first drop, best pacing, and best finish

Volcano-The Blast Coaster: great launch, one of the greatest inversions in the world out of the mouth of an erupting volcano, great helix-finale inside the volcano

Dominator fka Batman: Knight Flight: great first drop, great variety of elements, great pacing and one of the smoothest rides ever

Magnum XL-200: great height, great first drop, best beach view, one of the best finales with bunny hills

Raptor: best non-launch invert, great elements, amazingly intense helixes at the end, 'Kick-the-sky' fun

--------------------
A Bigger, Better Vision Alive In 2005
http://www.visionland.com/
Message updated 4/25/2005 9:25:00 AM by Godsentone
coaster05

4/25/2005 9:32:17 AM
Little change to my list.

1. Phoenix
2. Shivering Timbers
3. Apollos' Chariot
4. Beast
5. Millenium Force *

*Spot may soon go to Boulder Dash

Godsentone

4/25/2005 9:47:31 AM
Quote:
coaster05 said:
Little change to my list.

1. Phoenix
2. Shivering Timbers
3. Apollos' Chariot
4. Beast
5. Millenium Force *

*Spot may soon go to Boulder Dash

You know what? After checking out the stats on this coaster on RCDB, I see why people love it so much. It looks impressive in the pictures as well with the layout being surrounding by trees. I will have to get back to CT, if not next year, definitely in 2007. I have family in Bridgeport so I may have to get my relatives to cater me with a visit to LC.

RCGenius

4/25/2005 8:48:47 PM
Yoyoyo, just stop right now. Shut up!!! Your comments are nothing but a bunch of bullcrap. You must really have no life if you're posting up replies about jewish people. Jewish people are cool & I've got some friends who are Jewish too. Stop trying to make yourself look good b/c you're not cool. You're nothing but a sorry pathetic idiot who's just trying to draw some attention to himself. It's obvious that you don't have any intelligence whatsoever by posting up junk issues like that. People like you are a bunch of nobodies. Just stop posting up messages now.
Danny

4/25/2005 8:54:05 PM
Don't take him seriously guys, by freaking out you're just encouraging him.
Swimace

4/25/2005 8:58:04 PM
Technically yoyoyo, I rode your Jewish Mom Bitch is a Moebius design, you can only count it as 1.
Corona

4/26/2005 8:24:37 AM
I am always amazed at the gall of people to place defunct rides on their lists of Favorite coasters. Its like a crusade for their fav scrap of metal. mrceagle. I apologize for picking on you, but Drachen Fire? I will have a warm spot in my heart for Drachen Fire in the same way I do Terry Schiavo. Both are in a much better place now...In the end, both made their contributions and will forever be remembered...but only because they died. If Drachen Fire were still operating today...it would make NO ONE's Top anything list. It was just a ride...a poor one at that.
larrygator

4/26/2005 11:12:11 AM
I have no problem with people putting a defunct coaster on a favorite list. If the Cyclone was to fall to the ground tomorrow it would still be one of mine (and many others) favorites. Now I never rode Drachen Fire but from the mixed reviews I find it hard to believe it should be anyone's favorite based on the ride alone. There's a lot of sentimentality that would have to go into that selection.
Godsentone

4/26/2005 2:55:36 PM
I have to make a few changes myself. I had The Incredible Hulk out of the top 10 but in my top 15 and I actually remembered my experience on the ride, I thought to myself, "What was I thinking?" B/c the ride thrilled me in a way I hadn't experienced on many coasters besides 3 others.

For that and many more reasons, I want to revise my top 5 coaster list:

Millennium Force: fastest lift, best first drop, best pacing, and best finish

Volcano-The Blast Coaster: great launch, one of the greatest inversions in the world out of the mouth of an erupting volcano, great helix-finale inside the volcano

Dominator fka Batman: Knight Flight: great first drop, great variety of elements, great pacing and one of the smoothest rides ever

The Incredible Hulk: great theming in the queue, best B & M launched invert, great over-the-water experience, great elements, amazingly intense ending, and non-stop fun

Magnum XL-200: great height, great first drop, best beach view, one of the best finales with bunny hills
Scott

4/26/2005 6:34:26 PM
Quote:
Corona said:
I am always amazed at the gall of people to place defunct rides on their lists of Favorite coasters. Its like a crusade for their fav scrap of metal. mrceagle. I apologize for picking on you, but Drachen Fire? I will have a warm spot in my heart for Drachen Fire in the same way I do Terry Schiavo. Both are in a much better place now...In the end, both made their contributions and will forever be remembered...but only because they died. If Drachen Fire were still operating today...it would make NO ONE's Top anything list. It was just a ride...a poor one at that.

Actually 3r1c loved drachan fire. He has it as his avatar and sig. I thought the design on drachan fire looked great.
Message updated 5/18/2006 5:58:55 PM by Scott
Page [ 1 of 3 ] [ 1 ] 2  3 
Clicky Web Analytics