Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 2 of 3 ] 1  [ 2 ] 3 
Author The 5 Best Coasters Youve Ever Ridden
Corona

4/26/2005 9:55:30 PM
That is my point exactly. Sentiment should not a ride make. The design may have been before its time...It deserved a better fate, but quite frankly...it NEVER did anything with its great potential. It was in all seriousness a flop... If someone had been able to put cars in that would not kill you during the ride...it would have been a much better ride...The shoulder restraints beheaded nearly everyone that rode the thing. Drachen Fire is the classic definition of the phrase...Looks can be deceiving.

Quote:
larrygator said:
I have no problem with people putting a defunct coaster on a favorite list. If the Cyclone was to fall to the ground tomorrow it would still be one of mine (and many others) favorites. Now I never rode Drachen Fire but from the mixed reviews I find it hard to believe it should be anyone's favorite based on the ride alone. There's a lot of sentimentality that would have to go into that selection.

Message updated 4/26/2005 10:15:51 PM by Corona
Corona

4/26/2005 10:15:09 PM
In David Letterman style....

5. Volcano -The Blast Coaster (Paramount's Kings Dominion) Nice take off...the speed at once was incredible rush. The only drawback was once you come out of the second launch, there wasn't much left of the ride other than a few rollovers.

4. Top Gun (Paramount's Carowinds) I am a big fan of inverted coasters...This one had me disoriented from the word go. Nice set of elements...The batwing...very nice.

3. Alpengeist (BGW) If Busch Gardens gets ANYTHING right about its rides, its the theming and atmosphere. The ride was great, but I am very surprised that someone my size has to go to a large size seat in the middle of the train. Not being able to sit in a prime seat gave me a bit of a bummer, but the ride itself was great. I am sure if I get a better seat next time, it will be even better.

2. Raptor (CP) Raptor Rules the Skies! This is my favorite invert hands down...The view from Raptor is great. You really feel like you are flying. Its very rare during the entire ride that you see any supports, so its just you flying through space...wicked cool ride.

1. Apollo's Chariot (BGW) This thing took me totally by surprise. I expected a fast ride with very few thrills. The track looks way too simple to give the thrill. Boy was I wrong. The air on this thing is just amazing. You spend more time in the air than you do on your seat once you get beyond the first drop...Once you get in the helix, things seem to calm down a bit. After the helix there is another drop that literally yanks you back down into the fray again. It really gives you that feeling in the back of the train. It just whips you around and down...The cars and restraints are so good its amazing giving a handsfree experience the entire way with very little strain. A worthy king of the coasters.
3r1c

4/26/2005 11:32:01 PM
Quote:
Scott Hot said:
Actually 3r1c loved drachan fire. He has it as his avatar and sig. I thought the design on drachan fire was fantastic. It didn't make my top ten but it was still very fun.

Yeah, it was an amazing ride. Of course, I had never experienced anything else before it so it blew me away like no other ride. Sentiment does play a part, but it was either a ride you hated or loved: heck, my sister loved it and my mother hated it with a passion.

--------------------

"The war is not meant to be won, but it is meant to be continuous. A hierarchical society is only possible on the basis of poverty and ignorance, this new version is the past and no different past can ever have existed. In principle the war effort is always planned to keep society on the brink of starvation. the war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over either Eurasia or east Asia but to keep the very structure of society in tact. It does not matter if the war is not real. For when it is, victory is not possible."
WAR2174

4/27/2005 1:01:24 AM
Drachen Fire will always have a very unusual place in coaster history. Kind of like The Bat in PKI. When I worked on it, we would get people that just loved it. Then some people would complain and say they wanted to talk to management. I guess the latter group won out. Oh well, at least it exists on my RCT!
Godsentone

4/27/2005 1:27:00 AM
Hey concerning Drachen Fire, why don't someone like B & M or Intamin remake a coaster with a similar layout as the original before they removed the 6th inversion??? Other than the several complaints about the roughness, this ride seemed to be amazing and would kick butt if it were transformed B & M style. Someone should suggest this to one of the great ride manufacturers so they can resurrect this ride like B & M did Hydra @ Dorney Park and Morgan did The Phantom @ Kennywood. They could rename it "Drachen Fires Back."
Message updated 4/27/2005 1:32:15 AM by Godsentone
Hercules

4/27/2005 1:07:01 PM
They resurrected Hydra?

I think it looked like a cool ride. It's definately up there on the list of defunct rides that I would have liked to get on. Where was it located in the park? I can't tell by the pictures. I don't really see anyone bring something like that back.
Godsentone

4/27/2005 1:18:38 PM
Quote:
Hercules said:
They resurrected Hydra?

I think it looked like a cool ride. It's definately up there on the list of defunct rides that I would have liked to get on. Where was it located in the park? I can't tell by the pictures. I don't really see anyone bring something like that back.

Yeah concerning Hydra, I thought I read somewhere that this beast came back for revenge, maybe that was just the storyline to why they made this coaster. Sorry!!

Now, why do you not think they should bring back a ride similar to Drachen Fire. It has gotten rave reviews from people who actually enjoyed it, and I even printed pictures of it before I became the coaster fan I am now, so I would love to get to ride a similar layout.

Hercules

4/27/2005 1:21:41 PM
They knocked down Hercules and built Hydra. It is the legend. There was never a ride similar to Hydra.

I didn't say that they shouldn't build a ride like Drachen Fire, I just don't think that they will. I would like to see it happen, but, I think that Drachen Fire is in the past and I'm not worried about someone reinventing it or anything. It's fun to think about, but, in reality won't happen.
Godsentone

4/27/2005 3:26:48 PM
Quote:
Hercules said:
They knocked down Hercules and built Hydra.

Remind me again why they tore down Hercules? Wasn't it a good coaster? You must obviously thought so b/c of your user name!!!

Message updated 4/27/2005 3:27:25 PM by Godsentone
Hercules

4/27/2005 5:48:01 PM
They knocked down Hercules because of low ridership. It was a relative walk on for its last two years. Also, Cedar Fair is basically getting rid of everything that was around before they bought the park.

It's kind of one of those Drachen Fire things. Either you loved it or you hated it. However, there was a huge majority of people that hated the ride. It wasn't necessarily a good ride (well I thought it was) but it was definately a record breaker. I thought it was a good ride, but then at the same time that whole "sentiment" thing plays a big role in me loving and missing the ride.

If you want to know more either look around the site about all of the various posts that I have made or I can simply tell you about it. It is actually very interesting.
Scott

4/27/2005 6:19:05 PM
No, there is a legend. In ancient greek mythology hercules defeats the monster hydra. Hydra then comes back for revenge and defeats hercules, hence the name "Hydra The Revenge"
Hercules

4/27/2005 6:29:54 PM
Quote:
Hercules said:
They knocked down Hercules and built Hydra. It is the legend. There was never a ride similar to Hydra.

I didn't say that they shouldn't build a ride like Drachen Fire, I just don't think that they will. I would like to see it happen, but, I think that Drachen Fire is in the past and I'm not worried about someone reinventing it or anything. It's fun to think about, but, in reality won't happen.

Yes Scott you dumbass, that is what I said. It is the legend. He thought that Hydra was once a ride or something and B&M redid it and put it back up.

Here is the legend right here The legend of Hydra and Hercules
It's Dorney-style. I'm sure you know the original legend.

--------------------
"I could never design another ride like Hercules." - Curtis Summers
Scott

4/27/2005 6:58:05 PM
You said they knocked down hercules and built hydra. That's not the legend. Read your own post. You never even said what the legend was about.
Message updated 5/18/2006 5:58:09 PM by Scott
Hercules

4/27/2005 7:41:04 PM
I told him that what he thought was them rebuilding the ride was not true and that it was the legend. I'm sorry that it was not clear to you. I'm sure it was clear to him. I figured he had read part of the legend and got confused.

But anyway, the ride looks great. I got down there to see it the other day. They are just finishing things up around the ride with the stones and rocks and stuff.

Oh yeah, you wouldn't be droping to my level Scott, you would have to go up a few notches. just kidding. I'm sorry, had a bad day. Sometimes you just say so many dumb things that I get pissed off by it and just have to lash out. I still don't have that much respect for you though Sorry.
WAR2174

4/27/2005 7:47:25 PM
It doesn't matter because in the actual written legends Hydra never came back to life.The death of Hercules
Go to the bottom to see the death of Hercules.
Hercules and Hydra
The legend as written.

I'm not causing a fuss over technicalites, I took Mythology in college and I just want people to know what the "legend" is. What Dorney made up is a good story though.
Hercules

4/27/2005 7:54:06 PM
Yeah I know the whole thing. I said it was a Dorney-style. It actually is pretty clever though. I'm actually kind of surprised that people from Cedar Fair came up with something like this. I just wish that they would have done something that at least acknowledged that Hercules once stood. I know that they have on the website, but I just wish that they did something by the ride. Who knows, maybe I'll have a nice surprise on Opening Day. Maybe they will have a nice opening for the new ride and have a plaque or something. I'm sure that is probably asking too much though
Scott

4/27/2005 8:16:53 PM
Well, I don't see what was dumb about what I posted. I was just trying to help. Whatever :finger:
WAR2174

4/28/2005 1:54:39 AM
Hey Herc,
Maybe they will build a new woodie that "battles" Hydra by swerving under and over it and making it look like a fight between two warriors! It's just a thought. Probably won't happen, but would be cool. It would be easy to drop the Revenge part and then advertise as Hercules vs Hydra. That way they could show apprection for the classic Hercules. Or, they could just put in a plaque like you said. My idea sounds better.
Godsentone

4/28/2005 7:10:30 PM
Sounds good to me. We don't have enough dueling coasters besides Dueling Dragons and Gwazi.
Hercules

4/28/2005 7:17:13 PM
*Cough* Lightning Racer *Cough*
Rolling Thunder when the left side is finished being retracked, and then after they retrack the right side after that.

That is a pretty good idea. Likely... no. I think you knew that though.

I don't see them doing anything. Hercules is gone and they aren't looking back. However, they do have it in the legend and put the POV on the website. That in itself is more than what I expected.
Godsentone

4/28/2005 8:54:56 PM
Hey I got an idea!!! Why don't companies who make the simulation rides re-create defunct rides like Hercules, Steel Phantom, and Drachen Fire, that way, those who couldn't experience these rides can still ride them somewhat. What do you guys think?
3r1c

4/28/2005 10:01:34 PM
Sounds like a great idea! Who's got approximately $40 million?
Godsentone

4/28/2005 10:07:41 PM
lol dang everything coast Multi-Millions of dollars huh?
Hercules

4/28/2005 10:55:03 PM
At this arcade back home in the mall there is a little thing that has Pheonix and Twister on it. It is not much, just a little thing that you sit in and watch the screen in front of you and the seat kind of moves with the action. It is not much, but kind of like that. There is also one at the King of Prussia Mall with the Knoebels coasters and I think the Kennywood coasters on it too that is relatively the same thing. They aren't even close to be simulators, but they are kind of simulations.
Godsentone

4/28/2005 11:07:34 PM
so it is possible to have this idea come into flourishing without spending mulit-millions huh?
coaster05

4/28/2005 11:09:00 PM
I absolutely hate those things. Sorry doesn't really help the thread but it made me feel better.
Godsentone

4/28/2005 11:12:26 PM
I hope you feel better b/c that definitely did not help the thread lol. Why such a dislike in simulators?
coaster05

4/29/2005 8:19:03 AM
Those simulators, those rinky dink little mall ones of coasters. Spidey, Corscrew Hill those I like.
BobFunland

4/29/2005 4:35:22 PM
Yes, I don't like most simulators, especially those along the lines of Days of Thunder
coaster05

4/29/2005 10:04:50 PM
I love on Days of Thundar when they change all 4 tires with two to go and work up through the whole field. Yea thats realistic.
Page [ 2 of 3 ] 1  [ 2 ] 3 
Clicky Web Analytics