Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Kennywood Tips?
sfo1

7/22/2004 11:48:06 PM
Hey everyone, we are planning on going to Kennywood this summer/early fall(no set date, we live pretty close so it's not something we are setting a date on). It'll be our first visit to the park, so is there any tips that we should take in to consideration?

How are the lines?

Are there any coasters/rides that have long lines so we need to get to them first?

How are the food prices(a general idea of this would be nice).

And any general tips would be nice.

--------------------
Geauga Lake- The Fun is Back!
larrygator

7/23/2004 12:00:10 AM
Head to Phantom's Revenge first and ride it often. You get a differnet fell in different parts of the train. Don't skip Exterminator, I'm still upset that i didn't ride it 3 years ago. Phantom's Revenge and Extermintor had the worst lines when I was there but PR line didn't build until the park was opened for two nours. I hear kangaroo is a hidden gem if it is running. Also Noah's Ark is a unique walkthrough. Pitt Fall is a good tower drop. And of course don't skip the woodies. Food was very reasonably priced in the park.
Message updated 7/23/2004 10:22:51 AM by larrygator
sfo1

7/23/2004 12:09:36 AM
I'll head to Phantom's Revenge first, and then to Exterminator. After that it sounds like I can ride the woodies and the other rides whenever I want.

I expected the food to be considerably low priced, since it's not a corporate park.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll post more questions if I think of any.
*FreeBird*

7/23/2004 12:16:44 AM
I always wanted to go to Kennywood, sounds like a nice park. Hopefully next year I can make it.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
7/23/2004 2:47:44 PM
Me too - that's probably going to be a next summer thing. Really, really looking forward to it...especially Lost Kennywood...
Danny

7/23/2004 6:36:02 PM
I went to Kennywood in 2000 and it was great. The woodies are excellent, Exterminator is quite fun (if there isn't a long line), the flat rides are cool, the dark rides are great fun, and the water rides are pretty darn good. Phantom's Revenge looks like a lot of fun too.

Tip: Ride the Kangaroo. Probably the best flat ride in the park

--------------------
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon...
Message updated 7/23/2004 6:37:05 PM by Danny
sfo1

7/23/2004 10:29:54 PM
Yeah, I'll also be sure to ride Pitt Fall, I love the feeling of weightlessness.

I can't wait to try out Thunderbolt...
Danny

7/26/2004 12:07:41 PM
I must say, the Thunderbolt is very over-rated. It's a fun coaster (just as good as the other woodies at Kennywood), but don't expect it to become a favorite.
larrygator

7/26/2004 2:11:14 PM
Quote:
Danny said:
I must say, the Thunderbolt is very over-rated. It's a fun coaster (just as good as the other woodies at Kennywood), but don't expect it to become a favorite.

Danny - I agree and didn't think Thunderbolt was a "great" ride, but it offers a unique layout, makes wonderful use of the terrain and is one of the few major woodies left without seat dividers.
sfo1

7/26/2004 2:25:01 PM
I don't expect Thunderbolt to be fantastic, I just think it will be at the top of the "very good" level...

Another little question, what's the best day to go to the park? We'll probably be going on a weekend, so I imagine Sunday is much better than Saturday as far as crowds goes...
larrygator

7/26/2004 3:42:51 PM
Quote:
sfo1 said:
I don't expect Thunderbolt to be fantastic, I just think it will be at the top of the "very good" level...

Another little question, what's the best day to go to the park? We'll probably be going on a weekend, so I imagine Sunday is much better than Saturday as far as crowds goes...

Sunday is generally better than Saturday at most parks, hopefully someone local like PhantomNik can address this question with more info.
PhantomNik

7/26/2004 5:32:24 PM
Well, Kennywood is my home park, so here's some helpful Kennywood info. Sundays usually are less crowded, especially early. Saturdays are usually pretty packed, so I'd suggest going on a Sunday. So long as the weather is good, the park will likely stay open until at least 10 or 11. They have been known to stay open later, but that's usually reserved for Sat. nights. Here's some other helpful hints to consider for a trip to Kennywood:

1. Show up early. The gates open at 10:30, but crowds are often VERY light until after noon. You can get plenty of rides in during this time!!

2. Ride Phantom's Revenge!!! I truly feel this is one of the more underrated hypers out there. The front is great and makes it feel much faster, but my recommendation is to sit in the very back - the airtime on PR is awesome, but in the very back it's just insane!!

3. Potato Patch fries are awesome and a must for a trip to Kennywood. But, in Lost Kennywood there's a food stand called Small Fry that serves the same exact fries, but with way shorter lines! Also, KW has a very good cheese-on-a-stick!

4. Ride The Exterminator early; lines tend to get rather long as the day progresses. They can often get longer than PR.

5. When riding The Racer, extend your arm out when passing the other train. You'll get some high fives!!!!

6. If possible, nab the very back seat on Jack Rabbit - you will literally be standing up during the double dip!

7. Some flats to not miss are: Bayern Kurve, Volcano, Aero 360, Swing Around, Kangaroo, Turtle, Pitt Fall, The Whip, Pittsburg Plunge, Log Jammer, and Raging Rapids. Also, be sure to check out Noah's Ark. All the flats are pretty good, but these are just some of the best ones.

8. I find Thunderbolt to be a blast to ride every time! The middle portion is unique and provides excellent laterals. Plus, not many coasters save their biggest drop for last! Some say T'Bolt is overrated, but I tend to disagree. I've never ridden it where it didn't deliver a kick-butt ride!

Some of this you may know already, but I figure if you don't this could be useful info. Have a good trip!!!
Message updated 7/26/2004 5:36:38 PM by PhantomNik
larrygator

7/26/2004 6:42:48 PM
and like a Phantom he appears out of nowhere to save the day!
sfo1

7/26/2004 7:58:43 PM
Thanks for all that info, phontomnik, it does help alot! I'm actually hoping we go sometime in early fall when crowds will probably be lighter and the trees are changing colors. Whenever we go, I'm planning on Kennywood being a top-notch park...
PhantomRev

2/9/2005 1:48:51 PM
well KW is my home park too and it really does not matter what ride you ride first, if you stay there the whole day, you'll have a chance to ride everything trust me. i never ride the Phantom's Revenge first just cause i can't stomach that right away. i work my way up. i usually ride the king kahuna first or Exterminator just to get me in the mood of riding. But it really doesn't matter, waiting in line is half the fun. Lines aren't very long though if your talking to someone. so my advise would be just go and have fun, don't have a set place to go. just be randome.

--------------------
Holla Back! 1
RCGenius

2/21/2005 9:21:02 PM
I went to Kennywood last year during my June 10th through June 12th visits for my birthday. You should try to do this:

1. Try to park at the free parking lot spaces. It's a lil bit further away from the park, but free parking. What could be better?

2. Try to arrive early as you'll be able to get your rides in early.

3. Try to ride Phantom's Revenge early. It only has 1 train at the beginning, but what could be better than riding an underrated hypercoaster 1st? Doesn't matter which seat to sit in cuz they're all fun. I'd highly recommend the back seat if you want some insane airtime & speed. The front seat really gives a great view of the 232 foot 2nd drop. Phantom's Revenge's just one heck of a coaster w/great speed, outrageous airtime for a steel coaster, & a nice terrain driven layout. It's a lil bit short though, so I'd try to ride it at least 3 times. That's what I did. It's now my #1 favorite coaster on my Top 10.

4. Don't leave Kennywood w/o getting those fries from the Potato Patch. Those fries w/cheese & bacon are to die for. You'll really miss so'em if you don't get some of the best french fries you'll ever get at an amusement park.

5. Ride Jack Rabbit in the back seat. You'll practically be standing on that double dip. It's freaking crazy man. That ride's a classic & will remain a classic forever. Even riding in the front seat had airtime on it too.

6. Ride the Racer for a classic racing woody. It's one of only 3 mobius racing woodies meaning that if you left the station on the left side that you'll return on the right side & vice versa. Definitely try to give high 5's to riders on the other train. It had some surprises too.

7. Ride Thunderbolt at least twice before you leave. I rode it twice & enjoyed each & every ride on it. Now I understand why you need to have a partner when you ride. It's fast, has ravine drops, smooth for a classic woody, & it's 95 foot drop at the end's the biggest one. The ravine drops are really so'em to look forward too. You'll experience 4 of them. Ride anywhere you want because it gives a great ride at every seat. It's now my #8 favorite coaster on my Top 10.

8. Try to ride Exterminator early because lines can get up to at least 1 1/2 hours long. I stood in line for 55 min. at around 6 in the evening. It's probably one of the best wild mouse coasters you'll ever ride on in your whole life. It's a spinning wild mouse coaster too. That's so'em extra & has a great theme to it too, being indoors & all. I know it's my favorite wild mouse coaster all time. It almost made it on my Top 10 list, so you know that you'll get a taste of what a wild mouse coaster can do.

That's basically it. I can't really talk that much on the flat rides because I was mostly there for there world class coasters. I did ride on some like Volcano, Wipeout, Garfield's Nightmare (I don't see why they changed the Old Mill cuz it's garbage), & Gold Rusher. Hope you have a great time. I had a great time & hopefully if I have kids, I'll bring them here to show them what a real experience at a traditional amusement park can be like.
ABR

2/22/2005 3:22:45 AM
Quote:
RCGenius said:

...5. Ride Jack Rabbit in the back seat. You'll practically be standing on that double dip. It's freaking crazy man. That ride's a classic & will remain a classic forever. Even riding in the front seat had airtime on it too...

I didn't think that they would let you choose your row on this one. Everytime I've gone, the ride operator makes the people in the front of the line go to the very back, and the people behind them work their way up to the front.
PhantomRev

3/17/2005 1:54:45 PM
there's ways you can getthe seat you want. the reason why we make you go to the back is because the station is not very big and we want everyone on the platform when the coaster comes into the station and thats the easiest way. It would be too crazy if everyone was trying to get in the seat they want. usually everyone wants the front. All you gotta do is ask someone if you can switch them seats. Thats all. before you sit down.
Message updated 3/17/2005 1:55:40 PM by PhantomRev
abramjd

3/26/2005 8:37:14 AM
Phantom's Revenge is good and the Exterminator is a fine dark ride; however, you (emphasis) must ride the Thunderbolt. The Thunderbolt is the park's true heritage. You will get a very different feel of the ride fromd different cars. The lines at Kennywood are not too long, in comparison to other parks. The prices for drinks and food are reasonable. If you have young children, take them on the train and into kiddie land. There is a lil' phantom ride, which is amusing. We are from Pittsburgh and go to many other parks, but head to Kennywood several times a year for the fun. Enjoy.

--------------------
Jeffrey Abramowitz
Fore91

4/9/2005 8:17:03 PM
About seats on the jackrabbit: Every time I have ridden it, basicially, they just send enough people through to fill a train. To get the seat you want, hope that you get cut off and are first onto the next train. Whoever goes in first can basicially pick what ever seat they want.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics