Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Author Snapping a Flyer
larrygator

3/3/2004 10:46:00 AM
adriahna or cyclonic - I may need your help. I'm going to Knoebels this summer for the first time and need to understand how to snap a flyer.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
3/4/2004 4:50:00 PM
Ah, yes...the Flyer. Long may she wave. I'll do the very best I can to explain to you how the snapping effect is achieved. I will say that Cyclonic is probably the best to describe it, though - he has more experience on this machine. But, so far as my overall Flying Scooter pilotry goes, here's what I can tell you.

First, pick any flyer tub. If you can, sit alone - once you've mastered the technique, you can share a tub, and show a friend the trick. When the ride starts, I prefer to aim the rudder outwards (to the left, on Knoebels'). You'll feel a little surge about 10 seconds later - that's when you start to determine when to steer. Usually, the tub will shift outwards a bit, and you'll feel it "crest", as I call it - it'll reach the highest point it can go, before it comes down to the center again. At this point, steer to the right. When it comes down, it will dip as far as gravity allows. At this point, it's time to steer left again. You'll learn by doing - you'll come to feel how the tub shifts, and steer accordingly.

Now, once you've gotten the feel of steering at crests and low points, it's time to change your approach a touch...you need to learn to steer just before the crests and low points. It's hard to explain, but if you watch others on the ride while you're in line, chances are you'll see them doing it (Knoebels patrons are the most fanatic Flying Scooter riders I've ever seen). Eventually, probably about 5 revolutions into the ride, you'll feel the tub start to bounce at the crests and low points, and if you've never experienced it, don't freak out. It's scary, and really fun. Just keep doing what you're doing - steering right just before crests, and left just before low points.

Another thing - when you steer, you should really throw your entire weight into the steering. When you steer the rudder to the right, your body should be as far left as it can go, and vice versa. Just don't injure yourself like I do - I had bruises all over my arms from my efforts. I don't mind, but I'm sure it's not for everyone.

Overall, really watch the ride before you get on, and look for riders who are getting it to snap. Just watching really helps. When I rode the Knoebels Flyer, I had been out of practice for a while, and after watching others, I came back around quickly.

Good luck - I sure hope that Cyclonic picks up on this one - he'll have great advice, I'm sure. Heck, I'll probably learn something from him, too! And thanks for calling me out specifically - that's a serious compliment.

By the way - you'll LOVE Knoebels - you are in for a real treat. Ride everything you can, but here are a few don't miss rides...

Phoenix (well, duh)
Twister (world class)
Haunted Mansion (one of the best by far)
Skooters (there's good reason why they're #1 on this site)
Top Speed Thrill Coaster (you may be tempted, but DON'T pass it up)
Scenic Skyway (really, really unique and pretty scary)
Grand Carousel (if you haven't ridden a brass ring carousel, you haven't lived)
Whip (a little slow, but a must-ride, nonetheless)

What am I missing here...it's really all good stuff. You will LOVE Knoebels...no exaggeration. When you do go, please submit a Trip Report...I'll live vicariously through your experience!!!
Message updated 3/4/2004 4:57:00 PM by adriahna
larrygator

3/4/2004 6:11:00 PM
thanks for the advice - I rode in PKD years ago when I was a kid and I think the ride was still called ParrotTroopers (the tubs were painted like parrots)
I had a feeling you would throw the carousel in as a must ride I've never ridden a brass ring carousel so I've give it a go.
Danny

3/4/2004 8:43:00 PM
Ah, the Flying Scooters...the ones at my hometown park (Seabreeze) are great, and I'm sure to ride them at least ten times per summer.
Cyclonic

3/4/2004 10:17:00 PM
adriahna did a pretty good job of describing it. The trick is to get the tub to stall out, so that the ride is turning but the tub comes slmost to a stop. The way I have found to best do this is to flatten the rudder out when you hit the bottom of the swing, in other words, center the rudder. This will make it lose all momentum, the ride will move ahead of your tub, the front cable will become very taught and then pull your tub forward, resulting in the famous snap you hear so much about.

It will take you a few rides to get it down.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
3/5/2004 9:04:00 AM
I'll have to try that "straightening the rudder" trick, cyclonic. That's a new one to me.

Larrygator, once you get it down, you'll be totally hooked. A good ride on a Flying Scooter easily matches a ride on a good coaster, anyday.
larrygator

3/10/2004 12:10:00 AM
I know I'll love it

thanks
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
3/10/2004 12:40:00 PM
Definitely let us know how it went for you. Don't lose faith if it doesn't work for you the first few times - you'll get it eventually, and you'll be glad you kept trying.
larrygator

3/10/2004 1:07:00 PM
I will not give up or let you and Cyclonic down. Even if I have to ride it all day. Looks like Knoebels opens in six weeks.

Even though I was young I remember coming off the PKD flyers and telling my brother and dad how much fun it was. I think how I was maneuvering the tub back then is close to how you have described snapping. I guess I was precocious child.
Cyclonic

3/10/2004 5:51:00 PM
You may find the video at this site helpful. It isn't a how too, but you get the idea of what exactly snapping is. BTW, this was taken at PKI, whose ride is almost as good as those at Knoebels
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
3/11/2004 9:49:00 AM
I'm still waiting for the footage to load, but I can't wait to see it. From what this guy says, that must have been a real doozie of a day on the Scooters!!!
*FreeBird*

3/11/2004 12:03:00 PM
Hahaha!!! You have 56k!!!
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
3/11/2004 2:12:00 PM
So what?
*FreeBird*

3/11/2004 4:21:00 PM

Nothing. It's just that I have cable, though it's pretty expensive.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
3/12/2004 9:45:00 AM
Exactly - I don't throw out money if I don't need to. I'm not especially particular about high speed connections - it just isn't that important to me. So voila - more money in the bank for me.
BobFunland

3/4/2005 9:51:10 PM
adriahna, is this your brother?

Sorry to bump the thread back to the top, I was looking at some reviews of the former-PKI now-Carowinds flyers, and just ran across this.

Not to mention how kick-ass this thread is

--------------------
Need help with your spelling to make it easier for the rest of us to read? Try this site before posting!
My coaster counter with some of my reviews and plans. New URL and design coming soon, so pay attention
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
3/4/2005 10:22:52 PM
Oh, yes - that's my brother, all right. He taught me everything I know about snapping - but I still kicked his butt on the Knoebels flyer. As in so many kung fu movies, the student has surpassed the teacher - the grasshopper has learned well, indeed.
BobFunland

3/4/2005 10:43:00 PM
Cool, cool, though I could use a lesson from the sultan, because I'm finally going to get to ride some Flying Skooters this year

(hence, me digging up this old thread )
Message updated 3/4/2005 10:43:12 PM by BobFunland
drewbari

3/5/2005 9:19:29 PM
PKI removed FE this year, man it was fun snapping on that ride.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
3/6/2005 6:01:10 PM
It's a classic to say the least. However, the good news is that it's only being moved to Paramount's Carowinds - sucks that it's out of my home park now, but a new home is better than nothing.
Scott

3/6/2005 7:09:54 PM
Adriahna, I copied your great description of how to snap and saved it. I can't wait untill summer. Nearby lakeside has a flyer. I'm pretty sure you can snap on it, I've seen a couple of people do it. Looks great... Gosh, I can't believe I didn't know how to snap all this time.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
3/7/2005 9:15:21 AM
You'll pick it up - it just takes a little practice. Once you've got the trick down, look out - it's fun, terrifying and completely loony all at the same time. There's good reason that several of us here are such diehard loyalists!
ibluv

3/7/2005 6:23:14 PM
I´ve never been on good Flyers before. You make it sound like a blast. As far as I know, there aren´t any in Europe, and my homepark is LC
Scott

3/7/2005 7:45:22 PM
wow, adriahna. Your lucky to have a brother who loves coasters too. All my family members hate theme parks.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
3/8/2005 9:46:28 AM
Yes, my brother loves a good coaster. Last summer I called him on a friend's cell phone just after getting off of Boulder Dash, to tell him about it - he was ready to book a flight! Our mutual taste for wooden coasters sort of developed side by side - way too many rides on the Beast together...
ibluv

3/8/2005 5:08:36 PM
My sister and I are the only 2 people in our family who will even go near an AP, but even she won´t go on certain rides, so I hafta drag her on kicking and screaming. We both love Boulder Dash tho, a little too much. Last year we stayed on it for four hours straight. This year we´re gonna try to stay on it all day, without even getting off for a drink of water.

--------------------
"You may be right. I may be crazy. But it just may be a loooonatic you´re lookin' for"

-Billy Joel
Message updated 3/8/2005 5:09:17 PM by ibluv
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
3/9/2005 10:01:21 AM
Have at it, my friend - sounds like a good day to me. Once my best friend and I spent about 3 hours straight through on the Flying Eagles - we had become good pals with the operator months earlier, and we came up to her saying, "Listen, Kelly - we're out to set a personal record, here - do you mind if we go all out, hell for leather on these things for a couple of hours?" She was completely into it, and let us have re-rides when the line was short. Now, that was one fine day...
ibluv

3/11/2005 2:25:42 PM
The ops on BD just thought we were crazy. My friend, who was one of them was like "You´re gonna die of a brain aneurism if you stay on that coaster much longer", and I´m like, "At least I´ll die happy". She operates a coaster, but she´s afraid to ride it... I don´t get it
larrygator

3/14/2005 10:07:45 AM
sounds like the Flyers installed at Carowinds are snappable although themed to Kim Possible (I beleive) in the Nickelodeon section.

A little strange as a well snapped flyer tends to scare parents with small kids.
ibluv

3/14/2005 6:05:42 PM
Then they should take their kids to Lake Compounce
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Clicky Web Analytics