Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 3 of 5 ] 1  2  [ 3 ] 4  5 
Author Best/Worst Six Flags Establisment
PKI_Fan

4/9/2004 11:57:00 PM
I think with CP being ao close and Cedar Fairs main priority before they even had GL, the park will not get new rides very often, as CP will get much more buisness. On a side note, I visited the park once when it was SFWOA, it was 2002 and besides the closed things on the animal side, double loop being closed and the employ I got in a arguemnt with, I thought the park was decent.
skierman

4/18/2004 3:01:00 PM
Best: Six flags Great adventure
Worst: Six flags New England
skierman

4/19/2004 5:21:00 PM
Quote:
skierman said:
Best: Six flags Great adventure
Worst: Six flags New England

Thosr are only out of the ones that is have been to.
:spam:
(i love that little guy)

--------------------
If you aren't living on the edge then you are taking up too much space.
sfo1

4/25/2004 4:31:00 PM
Quote:
Red Rascal said:
Really? I thought the opposite. Everything went downhill after the first season: attendance, budget, etc.

I meant customer service...

--------------------
Geauga Lake Park makes it's grand opening as a Cedar Fair park on May 1st, 2004!
larrygator

6/16/2004 6:29:00 PM
since this seems to be creeping into the "Parks on the Rise" thread I figured I'd bring this post back to the forefront

I've now been to 6 SF establishments and rat them as follows:

Thrills:
SFGAdv
SFAmerica
SFoG
SFNE
SF Fiesta Texas
SF Great Escape (great family park)

Service:
SFFT (very friendly)
SFoG (very friendly)
SFGE
SFNE
SFGAdv
SFA (yes, far worse than SFGAdv)

Food: (Price/Quality)
SFFT (excellent food)
SFoG
SFA
SFGAdv (Pricy, but has variety)
SFNE
SFGE (Luckily, you can leave the park and walk across the street to eat)

hopefully I can get to SFKK and SFMM this year

the ones I most want to visit because of the rides are: SFMM, SFGAm, SFoT,
Message updated 6/16/2004 6:42:00 PM by larrygator
Swimace

6/16/2004 9:46:00 PM
SFFT's future looks very promising. It looks like it has a very high quality that isnt found in many SF Parks Same with SFoG
sfo1

6/16/2004 10:32:00 PM
Quote:
Animan1 said:
I wonder what sort of ride will be added to GL next, now that CF has taken over.

Well, Dick Kinzel hinted in one article that the park will probably be getting a coaster similar to Magnum, but that article is no longer available since the transition from Virtual Midway to Pointbuzz: that's where the article was. Oh well.

I'm sure he just said "Magnum" so the GP would be fimiliar by what a hyper is.
--------------------
Geauga Lake- The Fun is Back!
Message updated 6/16/2004 10:34:00 PM by sfo1
larrygator

6/16/2004 10:49:00 PM
Quote:
Swimace said:
SFFT's future looks very promising. It looks like it has a very high quality that isnt found in many SF Parks Same with SFoG

The rides are not right on top of each other at SFFT but I don't remember much room around the periphery for expansion. From what I remember the park is bounded on the sides by: 1) the parking lot 2) water 3) the quarry wall around 1/3 of the park from S:KC to The Rattler. I don't know if SF owns the land on top of the quarry wall. If they do they could put the ride up there and build a ski lift type sky ride to get people up to that level. Or build a huge elevator into the side of the quarry. That would be unique. They are supposed to have great shows there but I didn't catch any.
coaster05

6/17/2004 8:42:00 AM
best SFoG

worst (by far) SFKK
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
6/17/2004 10:05:00 AM
Quote:
larrygator said:
SFGAdv has greatly improved their food over the past few years. On their MidWay you can get Nathans Famous Franks, Cheesesteaks (good but small) and there is also a very good Caribbean place. I've been to SFGAdv, SFNE and SFoG and enjoyed all three

Yup - you can also stop by the pretzel place on the midway, and check out the pile of pretzel dough covered with flies. Now, that's good eatin'.:puke:

--------------------
It's not a successful ride on the Flying Scooters unless you've got bruises to tell the story for you.
battleflag

6/17/2004 1:06:00 PM
the worst six flags parks are kentucky kingdom and six flags new orleans
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
6/17/2004 1:39:00 PM
I haven't been to any Six Flags parks beside Great Adventure, but I sure hope that they're better overall than that mess.
3r1c

6/17/2004 2:13:00 PM
It's really sad, Great Adventure has so much potential to be one of the greatest theme parks. It has great coasters and flats but of course they're all either in really bad shape or are never open. Then the overall state of the themeing itself isn't too great either.
benleibo

6/17/2004 2:30:00 PM
I agree, 3r1c. SFGAdv does have great coasters, especially in the steel realm with four B+M models. They put in a new coaster at least every other year. Some years they've put in like half a dozen flats! However, they have to understand that this is not their problem. They need some atmosphere, better landscaping, and most of all better efficiency. Crowds at SFGAdv are worse than virtually every other park in the world. They really do a horrible drop of moving crowds. So many of their coasters only operate one train at many times, and many flats are often closed. The park also doesn't offer much shade, which is annoying. That paths are dirty too. If they cleaned that place up, it could be one of the world's elite parks.
MagnumMan

6/17/2004 3:06:00 PM
Quote:
battleflag said:
the worst six flags parks are kentucky kingdom and six flags new orleans

Are you kidding?! SFNO is nowhere near the worst establishment. I don't know about Kentucky Kingdom, but SFNO has endless potential. It may be small but at least it's not a trashcan, is boring and hasn't gotten any improvements or is totally "atmosphere-challenged", like some of the other parks. Yeah, some work needs to be done (like the, still, lack of shade and trees in the park) but if you want dysfunctional, you should have checked out Jazzland...
Message updated 6/17/2004 3:07:00 PM by MagnumMan
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
6/17/2004 4:13:00 PM
Quote:
benleibo said:
I agree, 3r1c. SFGAdv does have great coasters, especially in the steel realm with four B+M models. They put in a new coaster at least every other year. Some years they've put in like half a dozen flats! However, they have to understand that this is not their problem. They need some atmosphere, better landscaping, and most of all better efficiency. Crowds at SFGAdv are worse than virtually every other park in the world. They really do a horrible drop of moving crowds. So many of their coasters only operate one train at many times, and many flats are often closed. The park also doesn't offer much shade, which is annoying. That paths are dirty too. If they cleaned that place up, it could be one of the world's elite parks.

Exactly. It's a real shame - this could be a great park. Mismanagement in the extreme. I was seriously appalled at how filthy the park was last season - I've never seen such disgusting bathrooms. And that was only the beginning...
3r1c

6/17/2004 4:32:00 PM
What was really nasty and pretty much summed up my overall experience at the park was that someone puked in line for B&R:TC, and being inside you could smell it everywhere, and they never cleaned it up for the 45 minutes we were in there.
benleibo

6/17/2004 5:01:00 PM
Yuck. Although I do think that the management knows about the problems at SFGAdv, can fix them, but doesn't care. Why? - because the park is always getting sooo many visitors that they don't really need to do anything.

I mean, if you were a park who was already making tons of money from large crowds, would you spend money on more staff? I wouldn't.

Obviously, we don't like the park that way. I can't imagine however that the management is BAD. They're just money-driven and if making a large profit means hiring less staff and running fewer rides, they will do so. Apparently, it's not really deterring visitors.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
6/17/2004 11:01:00 PM
Yup - and that's a real shame. I know so many people my age (that is, late 20's and early 30's) around here that are only familiar with SFGadv - like there's nothing else in the area, besides Dorney (like that's so far of a drive). And I think SFGadv takes advantage of that - they know that they are often regarded as the only game in town, and it sure seems that they figure folks will come anyhow, so why bother to run the place well? A horrendous shame, considering the space they have, the great steelies, the downright potential. But they just screw it up...
larrygator

6/17/2004 11:46:00 PM
SFGAdv really does overpromote to schools and church groups making the park obscenely crowded at times. I now try to go only on slow days (weekdays, bad weather, early in the season). The crowds are one the reasons they have such high prices for their season tickets. Many season pass holders go there only expecting to ride a couple a rides each time and make up for it with multiple visits.
BobFunland

10/9/2004 11:59:41 PM
Brought it back in another post, but I have to address some things:

Quote:
Red Rascal said:
Really? I thought the opposite. Everything went downhill after the first season: attendance, budget, etc.

Totally disagrees with what you posted on the first page of this thread.

Quote:
xDisney said:
My worst park experience ever was Six Flags Over Georgia. Over-crouded, not much shade, few water fountains and restrooms, terrible food and a staff from hell. I was so pissed I even wrote a letter to them ( the only time i've ever wrote a park ) and of course they never even responded. I have avoided Six Flag parks like the plague.

Oh, you are so wrong. SFOG has tons of shading, I mean its Georgia for crying out loud. Its the only park with plant-covered arbors over the paths, and only the area in the Cotton States section is really open. I don't know when you went (you may have experienced a true staff from hell if you went more than 10 years ago). Oh well, hopefully you never come back again.

Quote:
yfz450 said:
Worst six flags park is i dont no i have never been to one and dont want to go by how bad you all make them sound

Ah, so the useless posts HAVE been going on for a while. Since I took two months off for vacation, I couldn't remember way back when.

Anyway, now that I have been to SFDL:

SFOG
SFMM
SFDL
SFAW
larrygator

10/10/2004 2:56:10 AM
OK - I've now been to ten SF parks in the past twelve months and here is how I would rank the ones I've been to.

Coaster Line-up (based on quality and maintenance)
SFMM (quality, quantity and variety)
SFGAdv (will Kingda Ka make them 1)
SFA (MindEraser is their only "bad" coaster)
SFoG (Georgia Cyclone, Deja Vu, Georgia Scorcher and S:UF are all strong in my book)
SFNE (I still enjoy these woodies, but S:ROS, gets it this high)
SFFT (S:KC is great, Poltergeist is good and I loved Road Runner Express and The Rattler isn't that bad)
SFDL (S:ROS rocks)
SFKK (has potential, but only Chang stands out as exceptional)
SF La Ronde (nothing great here)
SFGE (only the Comet is ggod)

Non-Coasters
SF LaRonde (the most unique rides)
SFFT (also has fun unique rides)
SFGE (again unique rides for a SF park)
SFoG (although I didn't ride it , a great tower)
SFNE
SFGAdv
SFA
SFMM
SFKK
SFDL

Atmosphere (to me professionalism of the staff creates happy customers)
SFFT
SFoG
SFMM
SF La Ronde
SFGAdv
SFNE
SFDL
SFKK
SFEG
SFA

Quality of Food (this is based on the best meal, plus snacks I had in each park)
SFFT: I can still taste that fresh roasted corn I ate in April
SFGAdv: I know this one won't be popular but the food, although expensive in the Boardwalk area, is excellent. I'll take Nathan's or the Jamaican place any day.
SFMM: Those tacos at Los Cuates were excellent and there are churros everywhere you look
SF LA Ronde: although the cheesy Italian Bread and Beaver Tails were excellent, the fries and the chicken Croquettes were only average. They do have a McDonalds in the park.
SFKK: Swampwater Jack's for a fried chicken breast sandwich that came with a ton of real good curly fires. They also have a Subway in the park
SFA: I can't remeber the name of the place but I got chicken strips right to the left of Roar, they also have a Subway in the park
SFNE: Tasty Buffalo Chicken Strips from the stand right next to the Subway
SFDL: I don't remember what I got but I remember not liking/finishing it and getting something else to eat when I got to Martin's Fantasy Island later in the day but they do have a Subway in the park
SFGE: so bad that three different ride ops wouldn't even recommend a place. Luckily, there is a restaurant right across the street form the entrance (next to the parking lot)

I can't comment on SFoG, because I didn't eat at the park

Although, I rarely attend shows, SFFT is recognized as one of the best parks for shows.

Also of the SF parks I haven't been to SFGA, SFStL and SFoT are the 3 that I have to get to.

Here is how I would rank them overall:
SFMM
SFGAdv
SFoG
SFFT
SFA
SFNE
SFKK
SFDL
SF La Ronde
SFGE
since I'm all about the coasters it shouldn't be surprising that my overall rank is heavily weighted towards the better coaster parks

--------------------
It's not a choice between war and peace. It's a choice between war and something much worse.
Message updated 10/10/2004 2:56:49 AM by larrygator
mrceagle

10/28/2004 6:27:25 PM
Quote:
Red Rascal said:
Geauga Lake has actually improved since the acquisition by Six Flags.

This park was Bought out by Ceder fair on 3/10/2004. they may have don a good job with it but it is no longer part of teh family.

--------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it untile it's done, and don right." Walt Disney
larrygator

10/28/2004 6:32:27 PM
Quote:
mrceagle said:
This park was Bought out by Ceder fair on 3/10/2004. they may have don a good job with it but it is no longer part of teh family.

don't worry Red knows that he was working there all summer
mrceagle

10/28/2004 6:35:29 PM
Quote:
BobFunland said:
Great Escape? Isnt it just a partner park, not completely owned by SixFlags yet?

Like stated it is a Six Flags Property. There is talk about converting it, not very liked by the locals and the city. They for starters will be restricted from dismantling there story town area. They also will not be able to use the Super hero characters. They also need to build a bridge across the street. This has been put off and put off again. They do have new rides 4 brand new thrill rides 3 from Huss and an Intamin Shoot-The-Chute. Six Flags keeps refusing them the money to install them. They also are thinking of re doing there entrance.
Red Rascal

10/28/2004 6:38:48 PM
Quote:
mrceagle said:

This was when Six Flags bought the property back in 1995.

--------------------
¤ Coaster Count: 104 ¤
Red Rascal

10/28/2004 6:42:39 PM
Quote:
larrygator said:
...he was working there all summer

Yeah, and I've earned almost seven grand doing it. I'd recommend a job at an amusement park for anyone looking to have fun while earning money. This summer was an absolute blast for me, and I might be coming back to the park if they promote me. If not, I do have other options: Kings Island($10 an hour), Holiday Park, Europa Park, or Heide Park.
mrceagle

10/28/2004 6:53:20 PM
I've only been to a few SF properties. SFNE, GAdv,OG, and Great Escape.
Best:
SFOG - good rides, good coaster, Good landscaping, an over all nice park.
SFGAdv - The selection is fantastic. Coasters, thrill rides, slow rides, family rides, rides every where. Well taken care of and friendly staff.

Great Escape - this one falls in the middle it's got allot a promis and is already a good park. The Comet is great and the rides are fun. the park is clean and the staff friendly.

Worst:
SFNE - They can't take care of there rides. Multiple problems with Superman. They have removed every remnant of Riverside even where it wasn't needed. The ride selection is terrible. Great thrill rides but nothing past that. Houdini is fun but SFGAdv is better and so is Merlin at Clark's Trading post. The staff is of and on I have often encountered snooty employees. The park isn't well kept the rides need paint they are raping the Cyclone of its power. I could spend all night on this park. The problem is most people haven’t been to this park except for after the flagging. It’s hard to know how much they have screwed up this park.
Danny

10/28/2004 6:55:38 PM
Quote:
larrygator said:
SFDL: I don't remember what I got but I remember not liking/finishing it and getting something else to eat when I got to Martin's Fantasy Island later in the day but they do have a Subway in the park

The Subway is the park's best attraction

Yeah, the food there is pretty crappy. My burgers there have always been pretty gross.
larrygator

10/28/2004 11:26:59 PM
Quote:
mrceagle said:

Worst:
SFNE - They can't take care of there rides. Multiple problems with Superman. They have removed every remnant of Riverside even where it wasn't needed. The ride selection is terrible. Great thrill rides but nothing past that. Houdini is fun but SFGAdv is better and so is Merlin at Clark's Trading post. The staff is of and on I have often encountered snooty employees. The park isn't well kept the rides need paint they are raping the Cyclone of its power. I could spend all night on this park. The problem is most people haven’t been to this park except for after the flagging. It’s hard to know how much they have screwed up this park.

I hear you - I went to Riverside Park back in 1990 back when the Cyclone was still rated the top woodie by ACE
Page [ 3 of 5 ] 1  2  [ 3 ] 4  5 
Clicky Web Analytics