Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Quick Queue, Flash Pass, Universal Express and others...
tunacrab

3/18/2011 2:59:53 PM
On a recent theme park trip I was made aware of services such as these. It really bothered me quite a bit. Is anyone else concerned about the message these "line cutting" passes send to kids? I wrote about the topic, and I'm curious to know what you guys think. Here is the link:

http://www.tunacrab.com/?p=106

Should these services exist? I say no.

edit: cleaned up the thread title
Message updated 3/19/2011 1:42:00 AM by BobFunland
BobFunland

3/19/2011 1:40:58 AM
Divisions based on social or economic status will always exist.

Personally, if I was a parent, I would use this sort of thing as inspiration. Tell the kids "if you work hard in school, you can get a good job, and be able to afford a [skip the line pass/big house/luxury car/whatever]". You can also prioritize -- I was buying these things back when I was an unemployed student, simply because the hobby was important to me and they could improve my days at the park tremendously.

To your other points-
* I have no problem with a bank giving preferred treatment to a customer with a $10000 in their account over someone with, say, $2000. That bigger account can allow them to lend out $72000 more than the smaller account, so they *should* be more important to the bank as a source of funding. (it probably doesn't hurt that I would be able to skip the line )
* If people are willing to pay, why not? Think of it this way.. it could save everyone else money! If they marked the same exact program as "save X% if you don't use the express lane", would you still complain, or take advantage of a longer line for the savings?
* Higher income earners are generally more important, sorry to say, but that's just how it goes. To make this worse, many low-income types use the ER as their primary care facility, which clogs them up with people who probably don't need such immediate attention and may not be able to pay for it.
As an aside, $500 is not high enough. It needs to be much higher, as I'd suppose too many people would opt for it at that price level
Message updated 3/19/2011 1:51:53 AM by BobFunland
mrceagle

3/20/2011 10:28:25 PM
I am quite the opposite. even if I had the money I would still not use the systems.

Disney has the right idea. their system allows for a electronic queue and is open to every guest. no one is excluded or treated better then the other.

The problem is when you allow a guest that payed more you're literally telling guests that unless you fork over even more money you are not important to us. you can wait in line longer then you did before the system was added and if the pas shoulder has a problem you can wait while you work with them.

Not sure about all of the above examples. while I agree that a bank knows that a customer with more money s of more value to them I have never been treated as a lesser customer pushed aside or spiked to take business form a customer that can offer more.

---------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it until it's done, and done right." Walt Disney
Message updated 3/20/2011 10:33:40 PM by mrceagle
coaster05

3/22/2011 7:45:34 PM
Woo hoo something to talk about. I don't feel like the people in line wait that much longer. Those people are still in line they are just not standing in front of you.

I have purchased them on several occasions the last being at BGW for howl o scream it was amazing. I'd never do that event on Saturday without one.

I have no problem with the tiered system. I don't care if people "cut" me when I don't have a system and I love "cutting" other people when I do.

Hell I would love parks to havew a few days where they charge double and then cap out the amount of people in the park. Twice as much to ride a ton without waiting sounds great.

mrceagle

3/29/2011 3:53:13 PM
Charging double and having a low cap might make sense for parks that get near capacity often.

As for waiting longer I have only experienced the systems at a few Six Flags parks. They let large group not just 1-2 rides through at a time. if there were more Qbot/flash pass holders coming but no close to the entry way he would wait and hold back the non holders while they walked to the entrance. A dozen people could have been let through at this point.

if it was simply like a single riders line and they were simply filling in seats. That might not slow the line. but the way SFI handles it it causes you to wait later.

---------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it until it's done, and done right." Walt Disney
coaster05

4/1/2011 7:59:32 AM
I actually don't care if my plan makes sense I just hate people and I would pay more to avoid the.

Even with how SFI handles it those people would still be in line somewhere, so if 1,000 people got a qbot unless they are all at the same ride at the exact same time it is maybe a train full of people at a time. OMG! At parks with no qbot those 1000 people would still be there only there would be 30-50 more people in the line as you walk up to it.

Parks need to make money to stay open, I need parks so I can have fun, QBot makes the day more fun for me so they need to keep it. Again at BGW for Howl o scream it was the greatest 20 buck I had spent outside of the extra money I paid to do Hollywood Horror Nights. I also loved ERT on TPR trips. Are you noticing my theme? Paying extra can increase the amount of fun you have on a trip, or you can save the money and spend it on something else that allows you to have fun, either way its fine but why shouldn't there be a choice. It's not like it has caused the wait time to go from 2 hours to 3.
mrceagle

4/9/2011 4:38:29 PM
I normally don't hate people, or waiting along with them. so I guess that contribute to my differing opinion.

They might be in line anyways. but since the devices/tickets need to be checked it takes extra time. a few seconds on each groups begins to add up. That's assuming there is no delay or problem because of them.

If they want to give them more at a price let them get in early and ride all they want. but separately form the general public. When the park opens people should be equal.

BobFunland

4/9/2011 4:53:58 PM
Quote:
mrceagle said:
They might be in line anyways. but since the devices/tickets need to be checked it takes extra time. a few seconds on each groups begins to add up. That's assuming there is no delay or problem because of them.

its not like q-bots and such are being checked as you board, they are being checked concurrent with another train being loaded. Parks wouldn't let it be inefficient, and honestly, most rides just add checking q-bots as another responsibility of a ride op. It rarely costs any extra time or money, you should know this
mrceagle

4/19/2011 12:48:00 AM
I agree they don't cost any more money. as for time I have only seen it run at SFI parks. every time it was a mess and slowed everyone down.
coaster05

4/20/2011 1:17:53 AM
Even after ten years you still cant stand six flags. It has been years since I have had a bad visit, I have never seen the problem with the system you see. Amazing. I can't believe people still complain about these systems they are never going away.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics