Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Site Changes - Various Updates and Reasons
ThmPrkCrtc

$#@!& out of me."
10/26/2010 4:14:40 PM
As many of you have pointed out, I haven't had a great deal of time to work on this site. Unfortunately I have several other projects or work items going on at one time, and it's just impossible for me to make updates to this site with any regularity.

I thought about closing the site down for good, but traffic still seems to bring in quite a few people, and frankly I've used the site personally on many occasions while visiting parks to determine what I don't want to miss. I think there is a great deal of good information here.

So, instead of closing shop, I'm going to be making some modifications to focus more on what this site does best, ride reviews. I've dabbled with trying to post news, but it's not really what people come here for.

The first modification replaces the news content, and instead pulls an interesting ride from our database daily. It chooses what the ride of the day is based on a number of things, and is fully automated so won't go unchanged when I run out of time to check in. I'll be adding a RSS feed for that soon as well.

I'll also be making some modifications to the URLs throughout the site to help with SEO, and probably working on some keywords. I find I do most of my best work here when I have a goal, in this case, practicing some SEO which I want to improve in.

I'll also be fixing the admin tools to update rides within parks, then somehow figure out what to fix within the guide itself needs updates.

Lastly, I've condensed the forums to a smaller more useful subset. I may reopen them later if they traffic warrants it, but the one's I've chosen to remain open are either highly useful for users, or ones that are most used. The Forum of Namelesness was removed, I know it was a fond meeting spot for a number of old school users, but I'd rather move the site forward with more talk about coasters and less arguing about god knows what. I'm thinking of a General Forum but overall traffic again doesn't warrant it.

Just wanted to give people who came through a heads up as to what's changing and why.

-Mark
Message updated 10/26/2010 4:17:22 PM by ThmPrkCrtc
Hercules

10/28/2010 1:41:56 PM
Mark - I certainly appreciate your efforts. I'll be sure to frequent the site much more often now as I have really enjoyed it over the years.

---------------------
"I could never design another ride like Hercules." - Curtis Summers

nyeboy9

10/31/2010 12:40:05 AM
I'm with Hercules, I'll definitely be posting more.

---------------------
"We hope you all check out our award winning kiddie ride. It's called the Thunderhead." - Mystery Mine Ride-Op
coaster05

11/1/2010 8:34:35 AM
As someone who has been critical of the site's status I like the changes. I will be happy to post some again, but I am skeptical that anything will really change. I hope it does as I no longer post on any coaster site so it would be nice to have a site to read about stuff again.
ThmPrkCrtc

$#@!& out of me."
11/2/2010 1:58:15 PM
Just pushed out a whole bunch of changes to links in the site, hopefully I didn't break much... hopefully.
BobFunland

11/3/2010 2:09:52 AM
If you fix the admin part, I can keep rides updated. I'll be getting really busy come new years, but don't see why I couldn't dedicate even 15 minutes a week to keep things updated

btw: weird thing, when I went to edit this post, the page I was taken to only had my post on it
Message updated 11/3/2010 2:11:18 AM by BobFunland
ThmPrkCrtc

$#@!& out of me."
11/4/2010 9:16:09 AM
Quote:
BobFunland said:
If you fix the admin part, I can keep rides updated. I'll be getting really busy come new years, but don't see why I couldn't dedicate even 15 minutes a week to keep things updated

btw: weird thing, when I went to edit this post, the page I was taken to only had my post on it

Hrmm, yea that is a bug, I'll fix that with the next update.
Message updated 11/4/2010 2:50:26 PM by ThmPrkCrtc
ThmPrkCrtc

$#@!& out of me."
11/4/2010 4:19:59 PM
Ok, added a tool to update rides, should show up in the admin ya Bob.

Also fixed the bug you mentioned, and some other items in the ride listing from the requests.

I'm sure there's lot of rides that need updates.
mrceagle

11/21/2010 7:55:15 PM
Mark - Thanks for all the work.

If you need another member to hep with ride I would be happy to lend a hand.

---------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it until it's done, and done right." Walt Disney
Canobie Coaster

12/5/2010 9:00:07 AM
Thanks for the site update. I too would be willing to help updating the database if you needed extra help.

---------------------
Track Record
30 Wood Coasters
100 Steel Coasters
130 Total Coasters
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics