Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Disappearance of Fear
erinys

9/4/2007 12:41:41 AM
Ok, we'll just focus this on amusement park rides, but I think there may be something wrong with me. 2 years ago, I was afraid on Great Adventure's Runaway Mine Train. Last year, Coney's Breakdance had me stumbling after, and the Top Spin had me focusing on the mirror in front of me to avoid the terror of looking around.

This year, nothing. I rocked the car on Coney's Zipper to get more flips out of it, and 11 didn't phase me. 8 consecutive flips on the Top Spin weren't enough. The forces on the Breakdance weren't hard enough. Rode Kingda Ka twice in rapid succession (Gold fastpass - evil, yes, but had limited time, rode maybe 8 minutes apart) with no fear. I rock the cart on Rehoboth's Chaos, even with their history, to get more flips. I'm the only person I've seen ride Trimper's Freak Out and Knoebel's Fandango with their hands in the air. Trimper's zipper does somewhat move me (only had 2 rides on the Coney zipper, but Trimper's seems better). My only remaining fear are drop towers. What's up?

I'm freaking agoraphobic! Walking out the front door or driving two blocks to the convenience store gives me more anxiety than a Chaos!

I've read that the disorientation and discomfort that comes from spinny rides increases with age because the cilia in the ear canals that provide your sense of orientation get more brittle with age, but my 42 year old tailbone and cartilage seem to be more brittle than those cilia (if that's what it is).

Please, kind folk, terrify me! Husband will never go to Vegas, so Insanity is out. Tracked down an old pal who lives next to Magic Mountain/X - hoping that will do it if I can gather the airfare. And of course I'll do the usual Halloween haunted events because they still seem to give me a jump. Does this seem normal? Who else has become immune?
Message updated 9/4/2007 12:44:00 AM by erinys
Canobie Coaster

9/4/2007 8:44:10 AM
Rides aren't nearly as scary once you've been on them enough and generally I'm not scared on rides. I usually just have fun. I still am a bit scared by larger versions of rides I have been on, but that doesn't stop me from riding. Also, I used to be afraid of large drop towers, but I love them now and had no problem with Scream and Dragon's Descent.

As for if you want to get scared on a ride, for your first ride on a new coaster ride in the back seat with your hands up. That makes your first ride a whole lot more wild because you don't know what to expect.
BobFunland

9/5/2007 2:37:05 AM
Good choice on X. If you go, ride in the very front the first time. The first time I rode, going up the lift backwards and then rotating to drop scared the crap out of me. Then, when I rode again last year (more than 100 new coasters and several years of experience later) I took my first ride in the front again and... yup, it "got me" again. Granted, I rode again that trip and it didn't get me that time, but I think it is one of the best coasters out there as far as a true element of fear goes.

Good luck, personally, I don't even ride the things for the fear, but maybe I am just impervious to it all at this point

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
coaster05

9/5/2007 1:35:16 PM
The fear is long gone on coasters. I sometimes have the "fear" of yakking on spinny rides. My last time with fear was on my first skycoaster.
Canobie Coaster

9/5/2007 2:55:23 PM
I'm still too scared to go on sky coasters and probably never will go on one even if I conquered my fear of one (the price seems a bit steep for a ride that short). How good are sky coasters anyway in comparison with other rides?
Timberman

9/5/2007 7:50:03 PM
Fair flats can still scare me, more so because of their dodgy construction, maintenance, and operation than their actual design. And, as C-5 indicated, there's always the worry about puking, which adds drama to the experience.

The last attraction that I was really intimidated by was the Slingshot at Seaside Heights. It's really an ingenious concept, and the wait for the launch was about as nervous as I have ever been on a ride.
coaster05

9/5/2007 8:13:13 PM
Quote:
King Yoshi said:
I'm still too scared to go on sky coasters and probably never will go on one even if I conquered my fear of one (the price seems a bit steep for a ride that short). How good are sky coasters anyway in comparison with other rides?

check at some parks really early as they often have deals at that time. they are a thrill, but only for a reduced price.

--------------------
There's always money in the Bannana Stand.

Coaster Count-404
Wood-102
RCGenius

9/5/2007 8:42:27 PM
The only ride I'm still fearful of, to this day, is the ferris wheel. IDK why, but I seem to worry about if one of the seats I'm in are going to fall off from the top of its apex. I can ride any coaster, but I can't seem to do ferris wheels. I'm also not a big fan of most spinning rides cuz I get very dizzy at the end & the dizziness effects stay with me for at least five minutes.
Horizons12

9/5/2007 10:05:32 PM
I'm still a bit apprehensive to go on some up-charge rides like the Slingshot/Spingshot, Skycoaster and SkyScraper. The only upcharge rides I've been on are Screamin' Swing and Eruption at SFGAdv.
coaster05

9/6/2007 6:14:57 AM
I did skyscraper at vf it was awesome. Plus it is the only thing there without trims.
Animan1

9/6/2007 8:01:37 AM
Quote:
RCGenius said:
The only ride I'm still fearful of, to this day, is the ferris wheel. IDK why, but I seem to worry about if one of the seats I'm in are going to fall off from the top of its apex. I can ride any coaster, but I can't seem to do ferris wheels.

You should try the Wonder Wheel...then you could actually experience the feeling that you are intimidated by!

ginzo

9/6/2007 8:43:41 AM
Paying for upcharge attractions is against my religion.
RCGenius

9/6/2007 2:29:33 PM
Quote:
Animan1 said:
You should try the Wonder Wheel...then you could actually experience the feeling that you are intimidated by!

The only ferris wheel I enjoyed was the now defunct Giant Wheel at Hersheypark. That was the only exception since you weren't at the top for a long time.

Scott

9/6/2007 8:44:29 PM
I am easily intimidated. TTD, Kingda Ka, El Toro, Excelerator, Tower of Terror... thaey all scare me, even after multiple rides.

I have the exact opposite problem!
larrygator

9/6/2007 11:07:13 PM
I thought I would be more scared on the Star Flyer at Holiday Park, but it wasn't so bad. The only ride that really terrified me was X-Scream on Stratosphere Tower.
Horizons12

9/8/2007 12:57:29 PM
Quote:
RCGenius said:
The only ferris wheel I enjoyed was the now defunct Giant Wheel at Hersheypark. That was the only exception since you weren't at the top for a long time.

I was lucky to get on that before it closed. That ride was a lot of fun! The thing is, you weren't at the top for long but the wheel was always like 75 feet off the ground. I wish there were still some of those Intimin claw wheels around.

--------------------

Visit my Website!
WWW.DOMAINOFDEATH3.COM

*Freebird*'s Spamboard Demerit Count: 20
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics