Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Germany TR July 2007
larrygator

8/17/2007 11:45:57 PM
OK, I know many of you have seen plenty of pictures on others sites, but I'm going to give insights on the parks and rides. BobFunland may follow-up with pictures in future.

Klotten
a small amusement park/zoo that could never exist in the litigious United States. You rarely see any ride ops except on the coaster.

Klotti Coaster is just a crazy little Gertslauer Bobsled coaster that provides an insane amount of air. More pop for its size then any other coaster I've ever been on. The ride is mostly tight helices and insanely airtime filled bunny hops. This will be one of my Top 20 Steel coasters.

There are not many rides in the park but they certainly are unique.

There is a do it yourself Ferris Wheel with Rock-o-plane types cars. A Boat Launch ride that words can not do just to. A crazy playground with dangerously high swinging swings. A one person sit down zip line that works great if you are under 150 pounds. If you are under 150 you will get two chances, but the ride automatically stops after the first "zip" if you are heavier. Another crazy swinging ride where the 6 riders control the swinging motion.

There also have a wet/dry slide, and huge old time Giant Slide.

There is a zoo where you walk through a pen of deer at the end.

Food for the day consisted of two wheat beers and a very good Bratwurst with curry sauce.

Tripsdrill
This next park of the trip was the one I wish I could have spent another hour at. There were just so many quirky little things to do that were easy to miss.

The park is built at the bottom of a valley below a vineyard. The owners of the vineyard/winery also own the park. The buildings in the park are authentic German; there is no mistaking what country you are in.

G'sengte Sau is the marquee coaster in the park and is very similar to Klotti Coaster but with less air and a better location. Still a very fun ride. Rasender Tausendfubler is a kiddie coaster that runs very close to the flora.

The "Bathtub" Flume, while not a soaker is part dark ride and interacts with major coaster in a Bavarian castle. A big bonus is that you can fit 6 in a boat. Staying with water rides there was also a fun looking raft ride, but overcast weather and short time in the park prevented me from riding. I look forward to riding this next year.

The park has a harmless looking tower ride that actually does a strange drop pattern and a bonus lean forward tilt that elicits plenty of screams from unaware riders.

My favorite ride was a dual guided track car ride. You get into what look like soap box derby cars but accurate steering allows you to race the other rider.

There is a great fun house with plenty of classic old tricks never to be seen in the US again. Right next door was a spirally slide (like at Knoebels but taller) inside a windmill.

The park also has a couple of unique guided track rides and spinning rides with their Yo Yo being the only one I'd seen elsewhere.

Now on to some of the unique things at the park:

A huge rope bridge that becomes quite crazy if you have more than 5 people horsing around on it at a time.

In one area of the park are warped bicycle. These bicycles looking like they come from the Island of Misfit Toys and ride like it, too. Some tires are bent, some frames are bent, pedals and handle bars in the wrong place. Again something we would never see in the US.

There is a wishing well with ropes to pull. When you pull a rope a random character (baby or animal) comes to the top of the well. Very weird.

There was an interesting game of chance where you shoot balls (eggs) out of a chickens butt and into the mouths of various characters. I tried twice getting a high score of 3,200 but you needed 3,300 for a prize.

I had a sit down meal at the park and choose pork (schwein) in a mushroom sauce with a mac and cheese on the side. The pork w
Message updated 8/19/2007 11:22:56 PM by larrygator
Scott

8/18/2007 1:15:37 AM
Great so far larry. Thanks for giving us updates.

It sounds like you had alot of fun at several almost unheard of parks.
Timberman

8/18/2007 4:06:44 PM
I'm with you on the Klotti Coaster, larrygator, that thing looks like a crazy good time. I like the pictures on RCDB where the people are riding with the water test dummies. Every park should fill up empty seats with water test dummies so riders always have the benefit of a full train.

Klotten itself seems to have absorbed a bit of the Action Park ethos, which in my view is a good thing.
BobFunland

8/18/2007 11:48:09 PM
Quote:
larrygator said:
You rarely see any ride ops except on the coaster.

and, by ride ops, Larry means an old man who sits in a chair while smoking and pressing a button, all without bothering to actually check the restraints

YAY Klotten! Seriously that was one of the most fun days I have ever had at a park. I'd put it in my top 10 and Klotticoaster is close to my top 10 as well.

At Tripsdill I went with the schnitzel, another German favorite... plus of course a hefe My pics will some once Larry is done!

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
Message updated 8/18/2007 11:51:31 PM by BobFunland
larrygator

8/19/2007 4:22:36 PM
thanks Joe, I'll try to write up Phantasialand tonight after my Fantasy Football draft.
Canobie Coaster

8/19/2007 8:52:32 PM
Those parks sound really unique. Glad you had a great time.
larrygator

8/19/2007 11:23:57 PM
enjoy it. It is now complete - hopefully ParkTrips has some good pictures
Canobie Coaster

8/20/2007 7:28:02 AM
Great trip report!
coasterf42

8/20/2007 6:31:58 PM
Good job! It seemed that not many on the trip thought EGF was the number one steel coaster. Maybe next year it won't have as many trims.
BobFunland

8/20/2007 7:46:56 PM
my pics

I have most of them done, just didn't finish day 2 at Phantasialand and our night in Dusseldorf. I've been busy but hopefully tomorrow morning I can.
Canobie Coaster

8/21/2007 8:23:43 AM
Excellent photos. Those rides really looked quirky and certainly unique. Too bad the US couldn't get those kinds of rides.
hrrytraver

8/21/2007 8:44:27 AM
ok larry, so at toverland you not only missed the funhouse due to the open beer garden, but the malted beverages also gave your obstacle course run a no doubt wobbly, sweaty 20 minutes of black and blue confusion.

klotten and tover look like great parks! i love german beer and food too!
larrygator

8/21/2007 11:05:36 AM
Yes, I think the hops did slightly increase the difficulty level and add to the perspiration factor on the ropes obstacle course.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics