Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Knoebels and Dorney Park
coasterf42

8/16/2007 7:13:27 PM
This doesn't sound like much of a trip, especially since it's on a weekend (8/25-8/26), but I am very excited. I've never done back to back parks before, and both of the parks I've never visited.

I know about the rides well enough, but is there anything else that I should know about the parks/areas before I embark on my first ever coaster trip? Especially, is there anything really great to eat at either of the parks or the surrounding areas? Also, how great is camping at Knoebels?
hrrytraver

8/17/2007 1:30:33 AM
check out "maple donut" in yocumtown, pa. it hangs over i-83 somewhere between harrisburg and york. you can see the big donut icon from the freeway.

they're open 24 hrs and the staff there has not been terribly friendly to me the two times i've stopped through. however, the donuts are great and the atmosphere is very unique.

it's an easy stop if you're taking 1-83 back into/out of MD. if you go the "philly" route to allentown/elysburg you'll miss out not only on maple donut, but also on a much more scenic and interesting ride.

--------------------
the following sentence is false.
the preceding sentence is true.
Message updated 8/17/2007 7:37:03 AM by hrrytraver
RCGenius

8/17/2007 6:29:50 AM
Let me be the first to say that camping at Knoebels is a total must. I haven't done it in five years (which I really regret), but from what I remember doing it with my family, it was awesome. It's definitely worth spending the whole weekend there as you'll be in comfortable log cabins with a bunk bed & you can start campfires whenever you want. It's also nice to see Knoebels from wherever you're staying at & to just get to the amazing park in only a walking distance further enhances the enjoyment you'll have there.
Canobie Coaster

8/17/2007 5:16:19 PM
Near Dorney Park I stayed at an excellent Super Eight motel. It was about $50 per night and there was a continental breakfast, two queen beds, and a fairly big TV.
coasterf42

8/18/2007 6:58:30 PM
Thanks for the help so far.

One more thing I wanted to ask about was in-park-food; especially at Knoebels. I expect the same 'ole overpriced Cedar Fair crap at Dorney, but Knoebels seems to be the type of place that would have good food.

So I looked at Knoebel's site and they claim to have won the Golden Ticket for best food 8 years in a row or something! So, is their food as advertised? Also, is it typical amusement prices, or is it affordable?
RCGenius

8/18/2007 8:21:28 PM
Let's put it this way. Their Phoenix Burger, which's a decent-sized burger with cheese, lettuce, tomato, & bacon is worth only $3.50. Their large soda's only $2. In other words, Knoebels' foods aren't only amazing, but so cheap. If only more amusement parks had food as cheap, yet delicious as Knoebels.
Canobie Coaster

8/18/2007 8:58:30 PM
I agree that Dorney Park's food is expensive and not very good. However, Knoebels is very worthy of the Golden Ticket awards as their pizza was amazing and my parents loved their food at the food court near the Super Round-Up and Flume.
coasterf42

8/18/2007 9:40:34 PM
^^Mmmmm, Phoenix Burger, sounds good just thinking of it!!

Again, thanks a lot guys I'm really getting excited about this trip now.
Hercules

8/18/2007 9:42:55 PM
Knobels = Cesari's pizza and pierogies
Dorney = Center Stage fries
larrygator

8/18/2007 10:12:55 PM
Quote:
coasterf42 said:
So I looked at Knoebel's site and they claim to have won the Golden Ticket for best food 8 years in a row or something! So, is their food as advertised? Also, is it typical amusement prices, or is it affordable?

Their food prices the cheapest of any park I have been to. Don't expect 4 star dining, but the food is tasty and there is plenty of variety.

--------------------
My signature has been hijacked!

Poop happens! That's why man invented toilet paper.
Jim S.

8/19/2007 1:21:30 AM
You can find the menus for most of Knoebel's eating establishments on their website:
http://www.knoebels.com/food.asp
Most of it is as good as it sounds. The only thing I've ever had that I really didn't care for was potato cakes at the International Food Court.

I haven't been to Dorney nearly as much, but so far I've not been impressed with their restaurants. The service has been incredibly slow and the cashiers borderline competent. On the other hand the food was OK and the prices weren't outrageously high. (Drink prices at stands through the park, on the other hand...)

coasterf42

8/28/2007 10:01:40 PM
Well I'm back. I've written a couple of reviews, but considering my work load now, I will probably be finishing them all winter!

It was really great. My mom went with me, but I couldn't convince my dad to go. The only way I could get my mom to go was to pay for her stuff in full, which I gladly did. She only road one major coaster-but at least it was the best one on the trip!

Thanks to everyone who gave me the food tips. Yes, I went to "Maple Donuts" thanks to hrry, and Cesari's and Center Stage Fries thanks to Hercules. Maple Donuts was great, although I got the wrong kind ("old fashion" cake and penut butter, I should have gone for the candy loaded one). Cesari's was exellent and Center Stage Fries beat out any fries Kings Dominion sells.

While I'm on the subject of food, I will say that my mom and I had lunch at the Alamo at Knoebels due to the fact that Flyer knocked her dead! Well, we got a crab cake and chips, turkey sandwhich and chips, an order of fries, and a sweet tea for $12.50!!! That's frickin' amazing inside of an amusement park! I will admit that the Pennsylannians need to take some tips from their neighbors to the south on crab cakes, but everything else was great. Also, on the way home, I ate 2 Nathan Hotdogs, because I was origionally trying to hit up Coney Island on this trip.

Well, needless to say, the parks rocked! Knoebels looked crowded from the parking lot, but there were hardly any waits. The Phoenix was just so amazing. Twister was like two big banked turns and "ejector air" is a strong term to use for HSTC. Skooters made my top 10 and Haunted Mansion just missed it.

Surprisingly though, it was the rides that made the park. Although I did really like the stream and the woodshop area, the whole "carnival in the woods" thing really didn't grab me as spectacular. That being said, it is probably my favorite park-Hershey is close. I like the look of Hershey and BGE better, but Knoebels has the best ride quality IMO.

Dorney was my first "real" CF park, as KD basically hasn't changed into a real CF park IMO. A lot of things I was impressed with, such as the ride opps, the cleaness, and the fact that most of the guests were over at the overpopulated and mediocre waterpark.

Talon was not a "new forceless invert" as a few have claimed it to be, but I will admit I like Alpie and Great Bear more. IMO, you can have your pick when it comes to inverts, because they are all great. The ground-level turns were the best part of the ride for intensity and visuals.

Steel Force was great, and I don't get it's sub-par reputation. Hydra too wasn't forceless, but wasn't great at the same time. Laser was wierd. It seemed to get more powerful throughout the day. T-Hawk was sad, but also pretty darn good until the nasty trims. The first half is a good start, but the ride would be great with that series of airtime hops being taken at full speed.

The darn Wild Mouse was crazy. First of all, why is this thing the most popular coaster in the park? Anyway, it got broken while I was in line. Came back an hour later, still broken. Came back 10 minutes later, it was open, but absolutely packed out. My mom wanted to go at this point, so I decided to do a couple of "good" rides before we left.

Overall Dorney was fun, probably a little better than Kings Dominion, even though KD does "look" a little better, especially International Street, the kids sections, and Old VA. Dorney is pretty bare and unthemed, but still is very fun. My only complaints was Hydra closing for 2 hours + and these rowdy people from the waterpark taking over the amusement side after the waterpark closed.

Anyway, great trip and thanks for the tips.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics