Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 3 ] [ 1 ] 2  3 
Author more rides for world showcase
metssuck

5/21/2007 3:11:49 PM
thare and i seem to have the same ideas when it comes to the world showcase at epcot. we think that it needs more rides since it only has 2(boat ride in mexico and maelstrom in norway). so what do you guys think about this?
taylorb251

5/21/2007 4:17:45 PM
I think its fine the way it is. It is suppose to be a world showcase not full of rides.
Horizons12

5/21/2007 4:43:14 PM
Nah, World Showcase, as taylorb251 basically said, should be about the countries. It doesn't need more rides thrown in there. Some of the shows in WS do need to be updated however if they haven't already. That Norway film after Maelstrom is like straight from the 80s.
taylorb251

5/21/2007 9:32:36 PM
I agree that the movies need updated. But new rides I don't see.
coaster05

5/21/2007 10:45:05 PM
Movie updates are fine, but it does not need more rides. Epcot is supposed to be different from other parks, if you just want rides there are like 400 other choices of parks to go to. Not all parks need to be the same.
metssuck

5/22/2007 3:47:20 PM
i'm not trying to say they should start putting rides in every country but 1 major attraction would help this park. i once saw a video on youtube of a disney advertisement that they were going to put in a switzerland pavilion with a new version of the matterhorn bobsleds. that was a long time ago and now that everest was built at animal kingdom that will probably never happen but also there was a rumor to put in a brother bear themed water ride to canada but now that is put on the back burner. i'm not saying the world showcase should become mostly rides but a e ticket would be nice. come on there is only 2 rides in epcot's bigger section and a bunch in the other so you can't tell me you would be upset if epcot put in an e ticket there.
mrceagle

5/22/2007 3:49:32 PM
Agreed, But for example I think sorin should have been installed in one of the World showcases. china would have been a good location. The shows are out of date and even with updates most of theme are not worth it. so most people crowd the attractions in future world. but they need to find a medium. A couple new rides wouldn't hurt. I agree that not every country needs a ride. but a couple more wouldn't hurt. any country without a ride should have at least one high end show.
coaster05

5/22/2007 4:27:03 PM
Why does the third most popular park in the United States need more rides. This argument is played out and if it is so boring and needs more stuff then don't go there.

IT IS MEANT TO BE THE WAY IT IS.
taylorb251

5/22/2007 4:44:03 PM
I completely agree coaster05. It has 3 big rides in this park with some good ones around them. I like world showcase. I love to go their to have a great meal with out a lot of sound from rides.
thare

5/23/2007 8:39:37 PM
I agree with metssuck. The world showcase doesn't need to be contaminated with rides, but one ride here or there won't kill the showcase. Yes Walt Disney wanted to display countries in their fullness, but a couple of rides won't ruin that dream. I think a flume ride would be a great addition. They might even want to think of adding another pavilion. (European Mountain Country?)
Swimace

5/23/2007 9:52:03 PM
I think that Canada could use a pretty good sized ride to block out Soarin's huge building from the rest of the world showcase, but other than that I think that area of the park should shy away from rides.
coaster05

5/23/2007 11:15:31 PM
I wish, just once, when we have this annual EPCOT discussion that one person would tell me why World Showcase needs rides. We have so many parks in this country and world that are full of rides, why does the one major park that is about more than rides need to look like the others. Just answer that question.
ABR

5/23/2007 11:25:51 PM
In the last two years I have been to Disney World, I never set foot in World Showcase (not counting the time I entered the park there, and headed right to future world), and that is the exact reason. If I want to see a park built to resemble different countries, I have Busch Gardens here in VA to take care of that. But seriously, when I spend money to get into a park (which usually amounts to around $50), that makes me cheap for the day, I don;t want expensive souveneirs or food. I want the "free" rides.
Swimace

5/24/2007 1:57:19 PM
^Busch Gardens Williamsburg has a little bit of a different target audience than EPCOT does. You obviously go to parks to ride all the rides, but the World Showcase is aimed towards people who don't like a lot of rides. Disney is supposed to be a place that has something for everybody, and The World Showcase obviously isn't what's for you. As I said above the only country I think needs a ride is Canada and that's to block out the Soarin buildings that take away from the theme of the World Showcase.
metssuck

5/24/2007 2:34:37 PM
i agree canada does need a ride to block soarin's building. i think they should get a water ride. disney world has 4 parks and only 2 of them have water rides where you actually get wet so i believe epcot and mgm need one. canada seems to be a great place for a water ride to.
Swimace

5/24/2007 3:59:49 PM
There was a rumor a long time ago when Soarin was under construction that Disney was looking to put in a raft ride similar to California Adventure's Grizzly one to block out Soarin. I think some sort of ride through the canadian wilderness would be really good because then a natural looking mountain could be put between Soarin and the World Showcase.

....and then there's the Dolphin/Swan problem, but I got nothing for that since that side of the park is far enough away from Future World that there shouldn't be a big ride there. Too bad those huge structures ruin the forced perspective of the Eiffel Tower

--------------------
http://www.coastercounter.com/Swimace
Message updated 5/24/2007 4:02:09 PM by Swimace
Scott

5/24/2007 9:38:59 PM
I seriously barely noticed soarin's building. Have any of actually been to the park since soarin was built? A normal park visitor is not likely to notice it.
taylorb251

5/24/2007 9:49:22 PM
I have been their the last two years and haven't notice it at all.
Swimace

5/26/2007 7:53:57 PM
As someone who has visited EPCOT more times than I can remember I thought that the addition of Soarin' was very apparent. You can't tell from Canada's side of the lagoon, but from the other side that thing sticks up over Canada.
metssuck

5/26/2007 10:31:28 PM
agreed and its an eyesore they need something to cover it.
Message updated 5/26/2007 10:31:44 PM by metssuck
Falcon 8

5/27/2007 5:36:22 PM
Why should it not have rides??? Even if rides are added, it's still going to be the same old world showcase..except with rides. Im not talking about adding a huge major coaster, but another dark ride would be nice maybe even a gondola ride would be intresting.

Im not saying add rides to each country but a new major attraction for the world showcase would be good and would attrack the younger crowd.

--------------------
Falcon 8
coaster05

5/27/2007 6:58:05 PM
Yep if only EPCOT could draw more people they are strugglinh in attendance. Go to another park if you want rides.
Falcon 8

5/27/2007 7:47:48 PM
Yep, if the world showcase had more rides im sure that more of the younger crowd (teens,grade school kids) would have more intrest in seeing the world showcase. Do you think kids really care about a 20 minunte film about france?? It wouldnt hurt for the world showcase to get a new attraction.

It seems Coaster05 thinks that adding a new attraction to the world showcase would just ruin the whole intire area. Like I said before, it will be the same world showcase just with a new attraction. I dont see why you would oppose the idea of an attraction being added to the area.
mrceagle

5/27/2007 9:09:27 PM
Quote:
thare said:
I agree with metssuck. The world showcase doesn't need to be contaminated with rides, but one ride here or there won't kill the showcase. Yes Walt Disney wanted to display countries in their fullness, but a couple of rides won't ruin that dream. I think a flume ride would be a great addition. They might even want to think of adding another pavilion. (European Mountain Country?)

EPCOT as it is is not Disney's Dream. Disney's dream was for a city of Tomorrow. A self contains City with Transportation, living areas, Etc. it wasn't an amusement park with 2 different designs.

Future World is the Bread and butter of EPCOT. YA its Well attended but dose anyone feel if they didn't ad Test Track, Space, Sorrin, Captain EO/Shrunk the Audience, etc they would be getting the visitors they are. How many Behind the scenes of Disney have all of use seen talking about the need of Rides to make EPCOT thrive.

Coaster05 - I'm not saying add a ride to every Country. I have in the past and now said that attractions are needed. These 360 theaters are boring. even the best Movies are way too long to stand through. Why not Switch them out for better attractions. A show, A FX movie, a Ride. A few Years back i mentioned a Live action 3D movie Combo with a St George theme for Germany. Why not it's not a ride and would simply require a theater.

Epcot will Continue to get new things. it's Time they start adding not replacing. Leave Future World Alone for a while and Work on World Showcase.

But on the other hand. The other 3 parks need additions far more then EPCOT. not do to Popularity they already have but Capacity. AK needs a Major capacity boost. MGM could also use a capacity boost. MK need it but it's harder since It's hard to up the capacity and not take away anything.

--------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it until it's done, and don right." Walt Disney
metssuck

5/27/2007 10:53:46 PM
i agree completely with mrceagle except one thing and thats adding something to magic kingdom. i think the magic kingdom should be left alone for awhile and they need to focus on the other 3. animal kingdom needs to finally get beastly kingdom and then leave it alone for awhile. mgm needs a new star tours movie and an indiana jones ride to replace the old show(even though the show is still good) but to have 2 stunt shows is a bit much. maybe a dark ride or water coaster here. and epcot needs that one major attraction to world showcase and preferably in canada to block soarin's big eyesore of a building.
taylorb251

5/28/2007 8:54:14 AM
How you two talk, I would think Disneys four parks are big pieces of sh!t. Come on. Every park in the world could use some type of new ride. Disney is the biggest vacation spot in the world. I think it is doing just fine. They add something new everyear that is better than any other park.
coaster05

5/28/2007 9:41:05 AM
I guess if you guys think EPCOT needs rides so darn bad then why do you spend so much to go there. The world showcase side does fine with little kids and fine with anyone over the age of 25. Adding any form of traditional ride would take away from the park, the noise and things like that would just mess up the feel. I have acknowledged that I definately want the movies changed, but that is all. EPCOT is currently my favorite park in the world and I don't want anything to ruin that such as a flume around Canada.

Bottom line MRC, Falcon and Mets you guys have the same ideas for every park in the world, which is what i don't want EPCOT to become. It is the most unique park in the world in its current set up and if you are so bored don't F#$@ing go there. They will still draw 10 million people with or without you so I think you will be ok.
Falcon 8

5/28/2007 2:17:50 PM
Quote:
coaster05 said:
I guess if you guys think EPCOT needs rides so darn bad then why do you spend so much to go there. The world showcase side does fine with little kids and fine with anyone over the age of 25. Adding any form of traditional ride would take away from the park, the noise and things like that would just mess up the feel. I have acknowledged that I definately want the movies changed, but that is all. EPCOT is currently my favorite park in the world and I don't want anything to ruin that such as a flume around Canada.

Bottom line MRC, Falcon and Mets you guys have the same ideas for every park in the world, which is what i don't want EPCOT to become. It is the most unique park in the world in its current set up and if you are so bored don't F#$@ing go there. They will still draw 10 million people with or without you so I think you will be ok.

So your saying EPCOT shouldn't add any new rides??? Lets say in 25 years the world showcase never gets a new ride and is exactly the same as it right now. Maybe not exactly, maybe a few changes to the resteraunts or the films that they show, but it's pretty similar to the world showcase of today. Do you think just maybe people might get a little bored of the area? Disney said it themself, they need to keep adding new things in order to keep bringing people back. Look at Universal's Islands of Adventure. That park hasen't gotten anything major since it opened and look the attendence has been declining. Im not saying that is going to happen to EPCOT anytime soon, but if they don't add any rides it could. Rides help attract people. If EPCOT adds more rides...then you guessed it attracts more people and it makes a better park.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is of having a new attraction in the world showcase. I think adding a new ride would make the world showcase better then it already is. Coaster05 I have an idea, how about if EPCOT does build a new attraction in the world showcase and you don't like it then....don't ride it. Im going to say it again, it is still going to be the same world showcase but with a new attraction. Not hurting anything.
coaster05

5/28/2007 5:56:42 PM
Hey falcon how long has the world showcase been there without any major new additions and yet the people still come?

They can add new rides to the future side, notice I never went against that. I just do not think the world side needs rides. The world side caters to a demographic that most parks don't, the older patron. Go there during the food festival, or garden celebration or any other special event they put on and tell me they need to change. EPCOT averages 28,000 people a day. It appears that changing the attractions on the future side is doing just fine.

IOA attendance is decreasing because it is a thrill theme park, that is getting nothing new. It does not have the history of the Disney name, nor the massive worldwide name recognition of Disney. To compare the two is foolish. It is not coincidence that they placed a park in Orlando where they already knew tons of people would visit and that some families would want some thrills. They found their niche in Florida, but as much as I love IOA when given the choice I would choose Disney EVERY TIME. Millions of others feel that way. IOA is nice, but Disney has that magic feeling that no place else can capture.

As far as your last argument I say again: When there are SO MANY parks with rides why does 1/2 of 1 park also need rides. Answer it doesn't. The wrong ride could ruin the atmosphere over on that side of the park. The music, history, landscaping, service, theming, and beauty is what makes that side what it is. Add in noise, rowdy crowds, and things of that nature and you have sacrificed what is unique to be just like everyone else when there really was no reason too. Remember third most popular park in the US. 25 years after its opening. With only a few MORE attractions.
taylorb251

5/28/2007 6:53:32 PM
Falcon you are an idoit. Epoct is doing fine and has been since it open 25 years ago. So no I don't think the world show case needs a major addition. I agree with coaster that the movies need updated and maybe Maelstrom. Mexico's ride is getting an update. Future world is where the new rides need to be. Just let it go.
Page [ 1 of 3 ] [ 1 ] 2  3 
Clicky Web Analytics