Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Arrow Multi-Loopers: Whos next to go?
Axman

1/7/2007 5:08:11 PM
I'm sure that everyone here by now has ridden at least 1 Arrow Multi-Looper. And I'm sure that I speak for everyone when I say that almost none of them are an enjoyable experience. They're old, bumpy, and painful; and the bigger they are, the more painfull they tend to be. When I think of a good amusement park, I usually think of it having at least one traditional, sit-down looper. Unfortunately, since Arrow + corkscrew = Pain, many traditional loopers are just plain bad.

Anyway, now that all of the Arrow(and Vekoma, evidently) corkscrew/looping coasters are painful, they've started started disapearing. So far, we've lost Drachenfire, Orient Express, Shockwave (SFGAM), and Steel Phantom, amoung others. There's pleaty more to go, and judging from what I've gathered, they are not long for this world.

BTW, the only coasters in this category that probably aren't on death row are Corkscrew @ Cedar Point (Very small and fun, plus in REALLY good condition), Loch Ness Monster and, Double Loop (No corkscrews).
mrceagle

1/7/2007 5:45:51 PM
Even CP's Corkscrew might be on that list. I know Canobie Lake Park is Considering removing theirs and upgrading. I don't see the Arrow Mind trains Coming out.
ibluv

1/7/2007 5:53:08 PM
BGT should remove theirs. It's been there forever, and it's really antiquated compared to the rest of their coaster lineup. Not to mention it's about 10x more painful than Canobie's.
BobFunland

1/7/2007 7:39:50 PM
Quote:
ibluv said:
BGT should remove theirs.

They are

However I was thinking this thread is talking more about the Loop-Screw and Mega-loopers than little ol' corkscrew models, and to that I'd have to say that Canada's Wonderland's arrow looper may be next to go - it takes up an awful lot of land in a park that doesn't have a whole lot of room to grow out, plus, the ride was a walk-on during a busy summer day in which the freakin' boomerang had an hour wait...
Axman

1/7/2007 11:27:07 PM
GBAfrica's Python was demolished last fall. The steel has already been liquidated and the land is already preped for a new attraction. The black and yellow trains were shipped to BGEurope's Loch Ness Monster, which is perfect because Python and Nessie shared the exact same color scheme.

Mega-loopers were the main focus, but even most of the small arrow are painful. This also goes for Vekoma loopers. The Boomerangs and SLCs aren't so bad, but the Ninja at SFOG definetly needs to go. I havent ridden Goudrix or Ninja at SFSL, but they're probably even worse!
Message updated 1/7/2007 11:31:12 PM by Axman
Timberman

1/7/2007 11:39:48 PM
I salute you, Axman, on a funny and perceptive thread topic. Perhaps it's the part of me that someone once labeled a "curmudgeon," but I still have a considerable soft spot for the Arrow giants that used to rule the Earth. That said, I'm thinking that the Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Great Adventure is probably living on borrowed time. Personally, I'd be sad to see it go. I won't deny that these rides can beat up on you, but many of us who cut our teeth on them seemed to have developed techniques to ride them without discomfort and injury. Once they're gone, the art of defensive coaster riding may eventually die out with them.
Message updated 1/7/2007 11:43:17 PM by Timberman
Axman

1/7/2007 11:51:53 PM
Quote:
Timberman said:
I salute you, Axman, on a funny and perceptive thread topic.

I'm flattered! Thank You!

Anyway, I know just how you feel. I've never seen GASM up close, but I felt the same way about Viper at SFMM and Vortex at PKI. They're very fun to witness, and a creditable asett to any park. It really is a shame that they inflict such pain!

Y'no, it would be really cool if S&S manufactured harnesses for the Arrow loopers like how Premier Rides did for theirs.
Lap bars with footsie bars underneath would both save and transform all of Arrow's loopers.
Got_it

1/8/2007 12:37:12 AM
I am a big fan of these giant Arrows, they are the grandfathers of the B&Ms we have today, I don't like B&M, they are too smooth, I find many of them to be boring, I mean come on, some of them give a smoother ride then my car, that's no fun when I am on a roller coaster, I want to know it! And some of them have about as much force as an elevator , give me a Schwarzkopf or Arrow over an Intamin or B&M any day! Sadly I see Great American Scream Machine going soon, it is a great ride IMO, but has a large foot print, and I don't think that many people ride it anymore, do they even run 3 trains anymore? I don't see Corkscrew (CP) going anywhere for a while, they will keep all the coasters they can, now with SFMM out of the picture, they are going to dominate. Off topic, but I would like to see them put in a nice Floorless next.

--------------------
Wild Cat(LC)2006 Ride Count= 151

B&M did not invent the inverted coaster, they took a suspended coaster idea and made it not swing.

Prefabricated Track is for losers.

5+ Years still missing the "Riverside" Cyclone

Message updated 1/8/2007 12:56:59 AM by Got_it
Horizons12

1/8/2007 2:10:31 AM
I am a huge Scream Machine fan; it's the only Arrow looper I've been on and I'd love to go on more if their all like that. Despite it's age and obsolete layout, it's still a really exciting ride. I will absolutely bawl if or when they remove Scream Machine. They should just put some flatrides in the middle of it if their concerned with the footprint. Oh wait, I forgot their trying to eliminate flats from SFGAdv...
Animan1

1/8/2007 8:15:13 AM
I don't generally like Arrow's old loopers and corkscrew models (Demon at SFGAm is alright, and Loch Ness Monster is actually enjoyable). But the only mega-looper that I've been on, Viper at SFMM, I found to be fairly smooth and provide a fair bit of fun, overall.
CoastrGlxy

1/23/2007 2:02:59 PM
Lochness is great especially for its age. And I had a surprisingly fun ride on Demon, it's like the ride had soul, similar to how Magnum does. I got a fresh ride on GASM last September and it was terrible. It was rough in parts that Arrow loopers aren't normally rough in. 90% of the ride was rough. It's the only Mega Looper I've been on and if it goes tomorrow it won't be missed by me. And I'm a huge steel-looper fan.
B&MRULES!

1/24/2007 10:06:40 PM
I haven't been on any but viper looks next to go. But there all most likely to go rather soon.
Got_it

1/24/2007 11:42:50 PM
Why do you think Viper?
B&MRULES!

1/24/2007 11:50:45 PM
it just dosent look like its going to be up long. ive herd its rough as heck
Got_it

1/25/2007 12:00:34 AM
I have heard mixed things about viper, some people get a smoother better ride, and some get banged up. But who knows SFMM really isn't too high on my list of parks to get to. I normally go for the woodies or hypers and I haven't heard ahything good enough to get me all the way to the other side of the US.
B&MRULES!

1/25/2007 12:08:47 AM
Well anyway alot of arrow mega loopers are going to be gone soon
Got_it

1/25/2007 12:49:24 AM
Which is a sad thought. To me anyway.
B&MRULES!

1/25/2007 7:26:05 PM
Yea it sucks but parks are most likely going to move up to bigger things. Unfortatily since most mega loopers take up alot of space such as viper and GASM and there not to smooth so parks are going to look into smoother coasters that take up less space. What really sucks is that i have not been on an arrow mega looper or any arrow coaster for that matter and i like rough coasters and it does not look like im going to go on any mega loopers any time soon. But it is expected that im going on demon later this year so i will have rode one arrow coaster.
toaddy

1/28/2007 3:13:50 AM
Wrong. Viper ain't going anywhere. For those who don't know me. I'm a So Cal local who moved out to that blankn East coast and am now home back west where I belong. Used to frequent this site long ago.
Anyway Viper is still popular. And can and does often get a long line. Want more proof. They still take your on ride picture on the ride. Why that matters you ask? Superman on ride picture rarely operates. Batman on ride photos, gone completely (tvs removed from their locations and tarps cover the old photo kiosk). Riddler photos, usually closed. 3 rides that were important and each one was "THE" ride at the Mountain at one point. Just like Viper was. Viper still takes your picture and people buy the pics. It outlived the much newer and better rides. So Viper remains and will remain a So Cal favorite. Vipers location also keeps it alive. Front of the park and one of the 1st coaster you see driving up MM Parkway. It's like it's saying I dare you to ride me as you're driving up to pay for your over-priced parking fee. Plus it's next to X. So that alone will keep it in operation for years to come.lol.

Ride depends on it's last time it was maintained. Back train sections of the train are usually rougher than everywhere else.
toaddy

1/28/2007 3:15:04 AM
Wrong. Viper ain't going anywhere. For those who don't know me. I'm a So Cal local who moved out to that blankn East coast and am now home back west where I belong. Used to frequent this site long ago.
Anyway Viper is still popular. And can and does often get a long line. Want more proof. They still take your on ride picture on the ride. Why that matters you ask? Superman on ride picture rarely operates. Batman on ride photos, gone completely (tvs removed from their locations and tarps cover the old photo kiosk). Riddler photos, usually closed. 3 rides that were important and each one was "THE" ride at the Mountain at one point. Just like Viper was. Viper still takes your picture and people buy the pics. It outlived the much newer and better rides. So Viper remains and will remain a So Cal favorite. Vipers location also keeps it alive. Front of the park and one of the 1st coaster you see driving up MM Parkway. It's like it's saying I dare you to ride me as you're driving up to pay for your over-priced parking fee. Plus it's next to X. So that alone will keep it in operation for years to come.lol.

Ride depends on it's last time it was maintained. Back train sections of the train are usually rougher than everywhere else.
toaddy

1/28/2007 3:16:09 AM
oops.double post.lol. Sorry moderators. I know that job sucks. Have done it.lol.
Animan1

1/28/2007 9:13:07 AM
I'm just still stunned to see toaddy back in the first place.
B&MRULES!

1/28/2007 10:27:49 AM
thats good that viper is going to stay
Axman

1/28/2007 4:55:31 PM
Viper is probably the most attractive of the Arrow Multi Loopers. It, unlike any other ride at MM, has a theme that fits in with its natural surroundings. Even the station has genuine-looking pueblo archatecture. GASM, for example, on located on a former parking lot, and has a very patriotc, yet irrelivant theme.

Personally, I thought Viper was terrible, but it is still a signature ride. I've been researching and studying SFMM for about 9 years now, and one of the first rides that always comes to mind would have to be Viper. Even Batman, Deja Vu, and Scream can't stand up to the visuall extacy and mental inkling brought apon by Viper's location, theme, and colors.

Magic Mpuntian won't be removing any coasters any time soon, since they are removing two already. Viper will be here for a good, long while.

Toaddy, you bring up a very good point, as well.
Message updated 1/28/2007 4:57:09 PM by Axman
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics