Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author USA Parks vs. International Parks
RCGenius

11/3/2006 8:03:07 AM
I know that this thread's not necessarily going to apply to a lot of us here since most of the parks we've been to have been in the US, but for those who've already visited parks in Europe, Austrailia, & many other continents & countries or if you're someone who has been dying to go to a park outside of the US, what parks would you have a better experience at? Even though most of us haven't been to European parks, I feel as if the locals there really enjoy their amusement parks a lot since they don't have to worry about having hundreds of them sprouting everywhere. Also, considering that most of those countries don't even have a lot of opportunities to have new coasters appearing every year or every other year, they're still very popular to tourists like us. I know that people have mentioned that their parks are beautiful & the fact that they're at a place with a different cultural background's interesting enough. I think that we do sometimes take amusement parks & roller coasters for granted just because we've got a lot more of them than any other place in the world.

--------------------
coaster05

11/3/2006 10:03:17 AM
As a group I would say International. they appear more fun because of better customers. The rides also seem to run more free maybe due to the fact they are not as lawsuit happy.
coasterf42

11/3/2006 11:53:13 PM
^Oh really?

I kind of get your point, but I still think that the USA parks have it better as far as restrictions/lawsuits/such. Hey, SROS may get new restraints at three parks because of one incident, but at least USA lets them build it! A British enthusiest I know says it's almost imposible for any UK park to build anything "big" other than Thorpe.

I think I'd like international parks more, but USA coasters. And that's primarily because of how great the German parks look.
tacoking

11/4/2006 2:03:19 AM
I'd say international for coasters, USA for parks. Those European coasters look incredible, but I think parks such as Islands of Adventure, Magic Kingdom, etc etc would be tough to beat.
coaster05

11/4/2006 7:34:00 AM
I prefer US coasters, but places like Alton easily beat IOA and Disney has parks internationally. I see the point about big coasters, but having three giant coasters does not help my "park" view of CP.
larrygator

11/6/2006 1:52:38 PM
The Eurpoean Parks I went to see to have more character, but that could be a function of being in a different country.

I found the patrons for the most part to be more respectful of those around them, with the exception of Tusenfyrd and Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

Teenagers at Tusenfryd had a problem using trach cans and enjoy spitting.
Some of the patrons at Blackpool Pleasure Beach did appear shady.

--------------------
My signature has been hijacked!

Poop happens! That's why man invented toilet paper.
Message updated 11/6/2006 1:52:55 PM by larrygator
BobFunland

11/6/2006 2:18:49 PM
Quote:
coasterf42 said:
I kind of get your point, but I still think that the USA parks have it better as far as restrictions/lawsuits/such. Hey, SROS may get new restraints at three parks because of one incident, but at least USA lets them build it! A British enthusiest I know says it's almost imposible for any UK park to build anything "big" other than Thorpe.

A ride doesn't have to be "big" to be good.

I have basically run out of parks in North America that spark my interest. The Texas SF properties, Silver Dollar City, and Iowa's Adventureland are about the only parks left in America that I am dying to get to. However, there are at least that many alone in Germany that I can't wait to visit.

I expect that by 2008 I will start spending more time in foreign parks than American ones.
Animan1

11/6/2006 3:09:07 PM
Quote:
larrygator said:
Some of the patrons at Blackpool Pleasure Beach did appear shady.

I think that's rather to be expected, given that Blackpool itself is full of bars and strip clubs.

coaster05

11/6/2006 6:00:15 PM
I actually noticed no one really out of place to me, course my daily environment has a lot of shady people. The crowd was rougher then most though far from SFGADV. Tusenfryd did have a lot of spitters.
mrceagle

11/8/2006 5:40:07 PM
This is a little unfair. just by shear volume The US has an advantage when it comes to coasters and parks.
coaster05

11/8/2006 5:59:30 PM
Over the whole world. I am guessing the whole world leads this catergory.
PhantomNik

11/15/2006 3:24:59 PM
Quote:
BobFunland said:
I have basically run out of parks in North America that spark my interest. The Texas SF properties, Silver Dollar City, and Iowa's Adventureland are about the only parks left in America that I am dying to get to. However, there are at least that many alone in Germany that I can't wait to visit.

Well, BobFun, not to petition for my home park, but a great park veteran like yourself would really like Kennywood I think. I just love the vibe and atmosphere there. Plus, there's such a great mix of older classic flats and newer ones. Their coasters are very good as well. Just throwin' that out there!

Anyway, I have to agree that the parks in Germany look amazing! I'd also like to check out some parks in England, Spain, and even Japan. As to when, well, that's anybody's guess.

--------------------
I'd rather be coaster riding!
larrygator

11/15/2006 10:50:07 PM
wow BFL's dad is up in that area, I'm surprised he has not been to KW yet
BobFunland

11/16/2006 12:53:12 AM
haha I can't even count how many times I've had the chance. Heck I even remember creating a thread about it once:

http://themeparkcritic.com/Forums/ViewTopic.asp?TopicID=77052&ForumKey=9

.. and after my great grand-mother's 95th birthday, we did Conneaut. Sadly, I didn't make it for her 96th, and it ended up being her last...

Anyways, Kennywood does look pretty good, but isn't exactly a park that I am "dying to get to", sorry.
larrygator

11/16/2006 10:34:39 PM
^as an all around park I think you'd like it even if you can't ride L'il Phantom.
BobFunland

11/16/2006 11:21:05 PM
ha. ha.

What would stop me from riding? Height max? Need a kid? Random mean operators? It's definitely not my desire to preserve my dignity...

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
viking78

11/21/2006 2:25:42 PM
U S A, U S A, U S A!
coaster05

11/21/2006 6:27:22 PM
^have you been out of the country. Going to parks without the constant annoyance of unruly teenagers or being stapled into rides is a very rewarding experience.
RCGenius

11/21/2006 8:31:44 PM
International parks seem to look way better than American parks. Also, it'd be nice to just get away from the rude park guests & stupid ride operations & to just experience something completely new. I'd love to visit Blackpool Pleasure Beach & Alton Towers the most.
coaster05

11/21/2006 8:47:56 PM
^both of those parks are good, with Alton ranking as my second favorite park out of 65 visitied. Liseberg and Chessington are also top notch(in my top ten) with Thorpe and Tusenfryd in my next ten.
viking78

11/21/2006 10:51:39 PM
I have never been to amusement parks in other countries but I have a hard time believing you won't run into ignorant people while doing it. As if only american park goers are obnoxious.
coaster05

11/21/2006 10:57:05 PM
Dude whatever. I am sorry I don't agree with your bitch at Larry post but you could at least have the decency to actually read my post. I didn't say ignorant people I said unruly teenagers who present an annoyance. I have yet to talk to anyone who has been to international parks who doesn't mention that the general clientale is better in foreign parks. Now granted its not an absolute rule and I am sure you can find exceptions, but as a generalized statement it was much better in the four countries I visited. there is also not nearly as many fat people there either.
viking78

11/21/2006 11:17:35 PM
Quote:
coaster05 said:
Dude whatever. I am sorry I don't agree with your bitch at Larry post but you could at least have the decency to actually read my post. I didn't say ignorant people I said unruly teenagers who present an annoyance. I have yet to talk to anyone who has been to international parks who doesn't mention that the general clientale is better in foreign parks. Now granted its not an absolute rule and I am sure you can find exceptions, but as a generalized statement it was much better in the four countries I visited. there is also not nearly as many fat people there either.

Whoooaaa! I wasn't responding to you Coaster05, I was responding to RCGenius's "escape from rude guests" comment.

--------------------
Another of the many reasons to love the 80's- Suspended Coasters
coaster05

11/22/2006 6:30:26 AM
Well if you are going to misquote people without a quote you will have this confusion. If that was your intent, sorry, and I must say I really recommend the international experience for you. I am hoping spain and Germany will be just as cool this year.
RCGenius

11/22/2006 7:24:00 AM
Quote:
viking78 said:
I have never been to amusement parks in other countries but I have a hard time believing you won't run into ignorant people while doing it. As if only american park goers are obnoxious.

Trust me on this. I've been working at Hersheypark for two years now & even though I enjoy working there & it's great to see people walk around the park having a great time, there are still some park guests who go around the place & not even have a clue as to how to treat the park employees. Even though I believe in customer service highly, some people tend to take it too far by constantly changing their orders around to mess with our heads & end up yelling at us whenever things don't get done quickly or if things don't go their way. They keep on questioning ride ops about when the ride's going to open up again if it breaks down. Even when I'm visiting certain amusement parks, I'll come across some unruly teens who act like a bunch of jerks. Then again, that's just based on what I've been through.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics